Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 28, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #149,641 of 151,657
Relatively nearby, you might also like Driftwood estates, exceptionally good (and obscure) is Lost Maples. Flat Creek is excellent but likely a hike for you, up to Marbell Falls and bang a right…

I found the best wines in Texas were warm weather, southern Med type grapes, Viognier (Driftwoods is quite excellent and affordable), Sangiovese, Malbec, Mourvèdre, etc…

You want Texas Bordeaux grapes (cab, merlot, etc.) IMHO you need to have someone sourcing grapes from the high plains, not growing them IN Hill Country itself. Better for the grapes, they get to blowsy grown in Hill Country itself. (IMHO)

The evolution in Texas wine quality since I first seriously investigated (in 2007) is amazing. I actually moved over 2 cases BACK from Texas here to NH (and I had to do all the moving of all my wine, and everything else, myself with PODS). It’s fast becoming world-class, yet with it’s own style.

Lemme know what you think of Sisterdale, it’s UBER remote/low-key

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #149,642 of 151,657
Tonight's Jazz recommendation ...

1000005511.jpg

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #149,643 of 151,657
All this Texas talk got me thinking… next up on the Batchelor weekend audio bing, natch with the windows still open. The neighbors (well the cows across the street anyways - LOL) are enjoying the ultimate…

SRV himself, on SACD

image.jpg

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #149,644 of 151,657
Any advice on adjusting the vertical setting on the idler wheel?

And yikes "Pfanstiehl"?!!? It's going to take me a while to wrap my head around that system and figure out the replacement stylus for my Shure.
Not sure how it's done on the 1019. On the 1219 and 1229 there's a tiny screw in the center of the brass pulley.
It allows you to fine adjust the vertical placement of where the idler rides on the stepped speed sections of the pulley.

You might also check with LP Gear regarding a quality aftermarket stylus for your M75 cart.

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #149,645 of 151,657
Skin effect kicks in at about 100,000 hertz. It is quite minimal below that frequency as I recall. 😉
Not true. It exists in the audio range for very thick cables. Hopefully that cable is multi strand and that should mitigate it. Heck, skin effect is even considered at 50Hz in long high voltage transmission lines.

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #149,646 of 151,657
Yeah, it kinda helps the Duetta’s put out same sound front and back, and the backs are aligned with the open windows… it’s like two systems in one… lol
I got to listen to Grands at Dan D'Agostino's house in CT when I flew out to Milford for a Krell factory tour and meet.
He was driving them with those 4 chassis Audio Standard amplifiers (two chassis per side).
Best Apogee system I've ever heard.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #149,647 of 151,657
Here is my planted cichlid tank. It has a sump with a herbie overflow that is virtually silent. I've been watching for a 100+ gallon tank to upgrade to and I could convert this tank into a sump for it.

20220104_111039.jpg
Nice, are they Julidochromis cichlids? Haven't seen them kept with plants before.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #149,648 of 151,657
Not true. It exists in the audio range for very thick cables. Hopefully that cable is multi strand and that should mitigate it. Heck, skin effect is even considered at 50Hz in long high voltage transmission lines.
And a transmission line carrying several hundred thousand volts for several hundred miles versus a 6' speaker cable carrying an audio signal is, of course, a valid and worthwhile comparison. This has been verified by Apples and Oranges, Inc.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #149,649 of 151,657
And a transmission line carrying several hundred thousand volts for several hundred miles versus a 6' speaker cable carrying an audio signal is, of course, a valid and worthwhile comparison. This has been verified by Apples and Oranges, Inc.
Nothing to do with voltage. It has to do impedance increase as a function of wire radius and frequency. I do not want to get into the weeds but yes skin factor plays a role in audio for very thick wire.

The transmission line example I noted was given because skin effect is even noticed at 50Hz for large diameter wire.

I would think that for those who care about minute differences in audio knowledge of a physical characteristic should be of interest, but maybe not.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #149,650 of 151,657
So in my looking for something to crank with the windows open to let the Duetta’s breathe whilst walking Biz in the yard… the Batchelor week of sound binging whilst awaiting Yggy continues apace…

I’m seriously amazed at how real/live this sounds:

Blue Rodeo:5 days in july

It’s amazingly recorded; doesn’t get you jumping you are dead.

And that was OUTSIDE… :wink:

Now on to BBQ pulled pork (my own) on hoagies - more batchelor meals!

(PS: the calipers are set on the OD of the speaker cables… LOL)

image.jpg

One of the top classic Canadian bands, and one of their finest collections of music. And they’re damn nice, friendly people, too. “Hasn’t Hit Me Yet” and “Dark Angel” are classics. “Lost Together”, from the album of the same name, is my favourite BR song.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #149,651 of 151,657
I got to listen to Grands at Dan D'Agostino's house in CT when I flew out to Milford for a Krell factory tour and meet.
He was driving them with those 4 chassis Audio Standard amplifiers (two chassis per side).
Best Apogee system I've ever heard.
Yeah, the KAS was outta even my league in 1990. And the bigger Apogees… <shudder>

So very thankful

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #149,652 of 151,657
It’s hugely multi-strand, hence its flexibility. Never counted them but likely (WAG) around 50? Never cared

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #149,653 of 151,657
Like all things, there are well implemented devices, and then, not so well implemented....... 10-15 years ago, I was a big fan of the dark blue metal case Netgear stuff, including Access points, and their managed switches. When I began managing the network for a 13 campus regional school district (Cisco), I questioned the cost of a Cisco 2600 48port POE switch, being over 5 times that of an equivalent Netgear model.....

I spent an afternoon with a Cisco engineer exploring the CLI interfaces of both Cisco and Netgear stuff. I was fairly adept with Netgear, not so much with Cisco at the time. I discovered some very interesting differences in the overall approach between the 2 products....

As I've said before, at OSI layer 2, an ethernet switch sits between the Physical Layer 1 (twisted pair Catx, or Fiber) and the Network Layer 3 (TCP/IP, UDP). Any modern switch maintains an ARP address table that maps the Layer 1 MAC address of each network interface on the network to a Layer 3 IP address. This allows a direct 1:1 communication between hosts on the network. A key difference between between "enterprise" switches (Cisco, HP Proliant, Juniper, Meraki.....) and consumer/prosumer grade is how this ARP address table is maintained.

What happens when a new host appears on the network? That host will send an ARP Broadcast (Adrress Resolution Protocol) on the network. Because the OSI model fully supports multiple connection methods, this broadcast sent to *all* hosts on the network. In the case of an enterprise grade switch, the ARP table in memory will simply receive an update after an IP address is either assigned via DHCP, or statically configured. This table exists persists in memory, until it is either cleared (Cisco: clear ip route, or clear ip route x.x.x.x), or the switch is rebooted. (oversimplifying things here, ignoring duplicate IP's, teamed Network adapter (multiple mac addy's), loopbacks, POE provisioning, port flapping, etc....) At the district, most switches have uptimes well over a year, with power outages being the most common cause...

Consumer switches do something *much* easier...... In response to *any* ARP Broadcast the *entire ARP table is discarded*! This results in every host having to re-negotiate with the switch, rebuilding the ARP table.... Depending on switch and number of ports this can be pretty disruptive. Network acting up??? Reboot your router (including it's cheap built in switch....)

I'm also a big fan of Ubiquiti, their gear, across the line, is very well made (although in the case of their managed stuff, it really helps to know what you are doing). Their Edgerouters are excellent, can be configured pretty much any way you want, and accept 24v POE. I personally have similar uptime results with them
Reboot the entire network (eero) and router after pretty much every Roon update.

Though the Mac bug seems to have been sqaushed in the latest version :wink:

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #149,654 of 151,657
Long voltage transmission cables is a stretch and 50k is well above the range of human hearing. Generally speaker cables are multi strand. He even mentioned the cables are six feet long. 😉

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #149,655 of 151,657
One of the top classic Canadian bands, and one of their finest collections of music. And they’re damn nice, friendly people, too. “Hasn’t Hit Me Yet” and “Dark Angel” are classics. “Lost Together”, from the album of the same name, is my favourite BR song.
Those two are great, and the astronomer in me really digs “Cynthia”… <grin>… and 5 days is great also, and… hell, the vocals alone… epic album and extremely well recorded with amazing dynamic range and great timbres all throughout

Users who are viewing this thread

Back