Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 28, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #149,672 of 151,834
Smells like Ether in here...

Anyways
Screenshot_20240428_211007_Roon.jpg

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #149,673 of 151,834
Mine ended up meaning literally nothing. I only majored in EE because software wasn’t a thing there/then. I programmed my way through college and have been in software ever since. My co-op at Hughes aircraft in 1980 I was the only guy on the project that could actually code. I was like: cool… way less math!

I remember very few details; but the big picture stuff? <grin>

We agree: ain’t no skin effect any mortal can hear on my 6 foot runs of bi-wired 2 guage (net) multi-strand cable. We probably agree that it’ll handle monstrous current too… < double grin >
You make perfect sense. Much of my post grad was in business and industrial management. Now I am retired but I might still retain a bit of knowledge from my EE.🤪

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:14 PM Post #149,674 of 151,834
Nice, are they Julidochromis cichlids? Haven't seen them kept with plants before.
Yes, Julidochromis Transcriptus. They don't dig much so the plants are safe and they don't fight (much) with each other, these all came from 2 pairs. They don't eat the new kids and are very personnable so fun to keep. I find many fish kind of boring or neurotic, swimming back and forth endlessly. Julies are rock dwellers and will claim a space and maintain it against all comers.

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #149,675 of 151,834
Sisterdale is on the list. They seem legit, and worth a visit.

Also of note, Newsom Cellars is in the same area (Comfort) and the winemaker frequently mans their tasting room, so if you go by on a slow day, you may be able to spend a few hours talking wine.

Fredericksburg is also nearby, and Invention Cellars is doing some very good stuff (as is Pedernales and William Chris). Invention recently served up literally the best Viognier I've ever had in my entire life, state or country nonwithstanding.

With respect to Corpus Christi, Aerodrome Distilling is releasing their first mashed/distilled/aged in-house bourbons. These are all Texas-style; if you're looking for super-sweet, it's not worth bothering. But, in my opinion, these are world-class, a great expression of Texas bourbon without excessive barrel bitterness caused by insane heat during aging.

No place is perfect, but you should be able to find some things that make you happy where you are.
You should check out Wine For the People next time you’re in Fredericksburg and cruise over to Blanco to visit Real Ale, one of the OG Texas craft brewers (just celebrated 28 years) with a (relatively) recent micro-distillery on-site (full disclosure, I consider Rae the winemaker at the Winery and Tim the head of brewing at Real Ale friends), but I think you’d enjoy their approaches to both business and product. There are some similarities in your corporate DNA.

Also, had friends with a solar/rainwater catchment system in the Hill Country. Solar worked out pretty well (with 15 or 20 year older tech), but the rainwater tanks required top-ups many summers.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 11:39 PM Post #149,676 of 151,834
Nice! And looks like a big room to boot.

Finally getting my new room to the point of speaker placement. Still a long way to go, but I'll tidy up the wiring once I get there. Today's task: find the box with the tonearm and motor controller for the Nottingham....

NewRoom1.jpg

NewRoom2.jpg

If I'd kept things symmetric with the couch centered on the wall, there wouldn't have been room for the chair which is nice and comfy for HP listening. So the hell with symmetry. Just means the listening position for the speakers is the end cushion on the couch rather than the center one.

NewRoom3.jpg
very nice! Like it

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #149,677 of 151,834
Nice! And looks like a big room to boot.

Finally getting my new room to the point of speaker placement. Still a long way to go, but I'll tidy up the wiring once I get there. Today's task: find the box with the tonearm and motor controller for the Nottingham....

NewRoom1.jpg
.... what happened to the lowest left shelf? It's all "squif". 🫤

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #149,678 of 151,834
You make perfect sense. Much of my post grad was in business and industrial management. Now I am retired but I might still retain a bit of knowledge from my EE.🤪
LOL, I started my 'career' as a physicist, then management for a master sculptor and before I retired, I was a licensed tour guide for the cities of Key West and St. Augustine. It always helps to have a Renaissance attitude.

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #149,679 of 151,834
Yep - spot on @Paladin79

And I’m a EE (1981 UofAz)…

They are 2 guage
They are multi-stranded (I guess around 50, if you care, you can do the guage deconstruction maths, I don’t)
It is extremely flexible, far more than any commercial “audiophile cable” that has this weight
They weigh approximately 10 pounds a set 4 - it’s a LOT of copper
If there’s any skin effects, I (and no other listener) have never noticed.

Oh, and they were free, sans the spades and my labor.

In my world: Excellent Construction and Capability/Performance divided by near zero cost == end game

Did I say they were UGLY? <grin>

Sorry turn of events! I simply asked a question and raised an issue. I did not say your cable was not proper. Clearly it’s ok being multi strand et al. Now we are raising professional credentials? I will not get into that.

I wished we would be less high strung.

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #149,680 of 151,834
Sorry turn of events! I simply asked a question and raised an issue. I did not say your cable was not proper. Clearly it’s ok being multi strand et al. Now we are raising professional credentials? I will not get into that.

I wished we would be less high strung.
No one is high strung, just factual., Skin effect takes place at high frequencies and generally outside the audible range. At high frequencies hollow core cable can be used but that is RF. 🤪

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #149,682 of 151,834
FYI… The typical Cu wire skin depth at 10kHz is 0.652mm.
That has little to do with what the gentleman mentioned, nor does 2 inch wire at 50k.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #149,683 of 151,834
You should check out Wine For the People next time you’re in Fredericksburg and cruise over to Blanco to visit Real Ale, one of the OG Texas craft brewers (just celebrated 28 years) with a (relatively) recent micro-distillery on-site (full disclosure, I consider Rae the winemaker at the Winery and Tim the head of brewing at Real Ale friends), but I think you’d enjoy their approaches to both business and product. There are some similarities in your corporate DNA.
The Real Ale beers are great. I spent six weeks in Dallas last year and found these in Target a few days after I arrived. Went through quite a few over the six weeks!

1714367861383.png

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #149,684 of 151,834
Also, had friends with a solar/rainwater catchment system in the Hill Country. Solar worked out pretty well (with 15 or 20 year older tech), but the rainwater tanks required top-ups many summers.

Many people around where I live do not have enough capacity in their rainwater system to last out a dry summer. Given we are far away from reticulated supply here, a large system is essential unless you want to top it off by tanking in water ($$s + chlorine). We have 2 x 5000 gallon main tanks, plus a 5000 gallon overflow system for the garden. It is all fed from a large roof area (385m2) so we get a lot of capture. As well, we can top off the garden tank from our own dam (... that water is only good for the garden!) but the main system can last us 8 months or more if needed. In 17 years, we've only dropped to 50% once.

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #149,685 of 151,834
The Real Ale beers are great. I spent six weeks in Dallas last year and found these in Target a few days after I arrived. Went through quite a few over the six weeks!

1714367861383.png
The Commissar is fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back