Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #2,671 of 2,896
Every time I read claims like these I get the feeling that the reviewer considers high treble = high detail.

I haven't heard the Tungsten myself yet, but since the reviewer is the odd one out here, there is probably something to it.
and it appears that you haven't watched his review either. he repeatedly praised the ds tungsten's treble presentation.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #2,672 of 2,896
Every time I read claims like these I get the feeling that the reviewer considers high treble = high detail.

About 20 years ago I tried the venerable Grado SR60. That was the first headphone that made me think: “is high treble confused with good detail?” At first I thought they sounded really good, but after trying darker tracks I found them to be no better than consumer headphones. Granted this headphone was connected to an iPhone and headphone tech was really nascent but Grados had a reputation in the industry. Still in the end, I found that despite being bright they did have a bit more resolution than your ordinary consumer headphones. But I decided then not to buy them despite the hype they had among certain audiophile circles.

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #2,673 of 2,896
and it appears that you haven't watched his review either. he repeatedly praised the ds tungsten's treble presentation.
Even if he praised the treble that doesn't contradict my Statement.

That the Hifiman headphones have more treble is objective truth and can be seen on every measurement

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #2,674 of 2,896
Even if he praised the treble that doesn't contradict my Statement.

That the Hifiman headphones have more treble is objective truth and can be seen on every measurement
it doesn't support it either.

your post consisted of two statements. it seemed to me from reading your second one that you were commenting on the review without having watched it. happy to be corrected if you had prior to posting.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #2,675 of 2,896
It is not unusual to associate brighter presentations with more detail and resolution. By many accounts Arya Organic is brighter than Tungsten. Therefore, it does seem a logical explanation as to why WaveTheory might conclude Arya is more technical and resolving despite many others having a different opinion.

Regardless though, diverse opinions on headphones are inevitable as there has never been a headphone universally loved by all reviewers. If your personal experience is that WaveTheory's preferences stated in past reviews tend to align with your own then that's likely all that matters.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #2,676 of 2,896
It is not unusual to associate brighter presentations with more detail and resolution. By many accounts Arya Organic is brighter than Tungsten. Therefore, it does seem a logical explanation as to why WaveTheory might conclude Arya is more technical and resolving despite many others having a different opinion.

Regardless though, diverse opinions on headphones are inevitable as there has never been a headphone universally loved by all reviewers. If your personal experience is that WaveTheory's preferences stated in past reviews tend to align with your own then that's likely all that matters.
how folks manage to misconstrue someone's posts and then overlay them with their own narrative continues to baffle me. if you read over my previous posts regarding @WaveTheory's review, you won't find any reference to the notion that headphones with brighter sound signatures can be mistaken for increased detail and resolution. nor did i make any comment on what he may or may not have said about the arya organic in comparison to the tungsten. and i certainly didn't say or imply that his preferences align with my own.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #2,677 of 2,896
it never ceases to baffle me how folks can misconstrue someone's posts and then overlay them with their own narrative. if you read over my previous posts regarding @WaveTheory's review, you won't find any reference to the notion that headphones with brighter sound signatures can be mistaken for increased detail and resolution. nor did i make any comment on what he may or may not have said about the arya organic in comparison to the tungsten. and i certainly didn't say or imply that his preferences align with my own.
To recap, no one said you stated brighter sound signatures can be mistaken for increased detail and resolution. It was @ThanatosVI (and later on me too) in his post replying to @Menkau-ra here:

I haven't heard the Tungsten myself yet, but since the reviewer is the odd one out here, there is probably something to it.
You then inserted yourself into that conversation apparently disagreeing with @ThanatosVI stating he didn't watch the video because WaveTheory praised Tungsten's treble presentation here:
So... some of us (not you) were having a conversation on how WaveTheory's opinions on Tungsten's detail and resolution could be so different than others speculating it might be caused by Arya's brighter presentation in comparison to Tungsten, which you seemed to disagree with by adding a non-sequitur about treble presentation.

From your general tone though, I'm guessing there was a miscommunication somewhere and that may not have been your intention. As such, we should probably move on and get the thread back on track.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #2,678 of 2,896
in any case it was the treble on SS that WaveTheory didn’t rate too highly.

The Organic comparison was only with the SS.

He liked the DS much more and especially the treble.

I’m not about to order second pair being the DS while I wait for the SS. I’ll wait till CanJam for a listen with both if I can.

But while the Arya Stealths that I own are not the same as the organics, a smoother treble is 100% fine be me.

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #2,679 of 2,896
how folks manage to misconstrue someone's posts and then overlay them with their own narrative continues to baffle me. if you read over my previous posts regarding @WaveTheory's review, you won't find any reference to the notion that headphones with brighter sound signatures can be mistaken for increased detail and resolution. nor did i make any comment on what he may or may not have said about the arya organic in comparison to the tungsten. and i certainly didn't say or imply that his preferences align with my own.
Then there are the people who refuse to hear the increased detail and freak out over 'too much treble'.
Never understood that one. Never has Hifiman HeK sounded like too much treble to me. And they are indeed detail monsters.

Some people just got weird ears i guess. And by some people i am fully aware that i might be some people...

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #2,680 of 2,896
Then there are the people who refuse to hear the increased detail and freak out over 'too much treble'.
Never understood that one. Never has Hifiman HeK sounded like too much treble to me. And they are indeed detail monsters.

Some people just got weird ears i guess. And by some people i am fully aware that i might be some people...
Well, if we want to classify different as weird, I guess you are right. I would just stick with different. We all hear differently. Our taste buds aren't the same either.

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #2,681 of 2,896
Well, if we want to classify different as weird, I guess you are right. I would just stick with different. We all hear differently. Our taste buds aren't the same either.
oh, definitely. But thats why freaking out over impressions from someone else's ears gets to be a bit much.

Nobody would freak out if someone says "I hate french fries". We'd just say, "Weird" and enjoy our fries.

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #2,682 of 2,896
oh, definitely. But thats why freaking out over impressions from someone else's ears gets to be a bit much.

Nobody would freak out if someone says "I hate french fries". We'd just say, "Weird" and enjoy our fries.
Well, let's just say, that culture is developing in our community. :)

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #2,683 of 2,896
To recap, no one said you stated brighter sound signatures can be mistaken for increased detail and resolution. It was @ThanatosVI (and later on me too) in his post replying to @Menkau-ra here:

You then inserted yourself into that conversation apparently disagreeing with @ThanatosVI stating he didn't watch the video because WaveTheory praised Tungsten's treble presentation here:

So... some of us (not you) were having a conversation on how WaveTheory's opinions on Tungsten's detail and resolution could be so different than others speculating it might be caused by Arya's brighter presentation in comparison to Tungsten, which you seemed to disagree with by adding a non-sequitur about treble presentation.

From your general tone though, I'm guessing there was a miscommunication somewhere and that may not have been your intention. As such, we should probably move on and get the thread back on track.
well you did reply to my post and i think it was reasonable to assume that its content was directed at me, which i found puzzling as i hadn't discussed the matters to which you were referring. so you did more than 'insert yourself into the conversation', you initiated a separate one with me that was unrelated to what i had actually posted.

as for my 'insertion into the conversation', i replied to a post, which is common practice in a forum thread. i quoted and replied to @ThanatosVI's post because it seemed to me that he had made an assumption about @WaveTheory's review based on hearsay and without having watched it himself. my post was intended for him, which he obviously understood as he replied to me.

the purpose of the 'non-sequitur' as you described it, was to disabuse @ThanatosVI's of the notion that @WaveTheory is a reviewer who 'considers high treble = high detail'. his almost rapturous response to the ds tungsten's (not so bright?) treble presentation suggests otherwise, i think. i suppose i could have provided more context there but perhaps @ThanatosVI could watch the review at some point and form his own view.

i can assure you that there was no miscommunication on my part and i agree that we should leave it there.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #2,685 of 2,896
I think that the DS Tungsten has excellent highs. Smooth and with nice decay makes it sound almost sweet. Never thought i would enjoy bells and chimes so much.
Personally i wouldn't want any more treble than what the DS has, so eggymans would probably be too much for me.

The lower end does feel like it's lacking some tactility with my chain (2541->V222). Does anyone have any experience with Soekris 2541 and Holo Cyan 2? I'm thinking maybe replacing the 2541 with Cyan 2 could add more body to the low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back