Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 31, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #2,701 of 2,966
Dear all,

If you don't mind giving some advice - I have an UltraSonic Studios Odyssey amplifier (built by the late Tomas Jernberg).

It is a tube amplifier, and has custom Sorter output transformers with custom windings at 8, 32 and 125 ohms and can output 13-14 Watts at these windings.

Will this be sufficient? From what I read it should be. But would like to ask a confirmation. It easily drives the HE-6 V2 and the HEDDphone (V1 now?).

Thanks!

First, congrats on having an amp from this super talented builder. Only heard great things.

Second, if this amp really provides 13 Watts at 125 ohm (an incredible amount of power, can’t recall a headphone amp that does that..) you should be able to drive the Tungsten and any headphone on this planet without breaking a sweat. If you do get one, please report about the synergy…

Mar 31, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #2,702 of 2,966
First, congrats on having an amp from this super talented builder. Only heard great things.

Second, if this amp really provides 13 Watts at 125 ohm (an incredible amount of power, can’t recall a headphone amp that does that..) you should be able to drive the Tungsten and any headphone on this planet without breaking a sweat. If you do get one, please report about the synergy…
It actually is around - 100R 3.6W @ 32ohm, 9.8W @ 128ohm. I just re-checked my correspondence with him. That is in Triode mode. UL should be more.

Is that still OK?

Will update you when I eventually get one. It is a long wait!

Thanks!

Mar 31, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #2,703 of 2,966
It actually is around - 100R 3.6W @ 32ohm, 9.8W @ 128ohm. I just re-checked my correspondence with him. That is in Triode mode. UL should be more.

Is that still OK?

Thanks!

9.8W into 128 ohm is still very (very) powerful. Approx 35V at that load. If that’s the case, you’d have ton of headroom.

Mar 31, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #2,704 of 2,966

Is that still OK?

Thanks!
Just a thought. You may want to check again on the power output. A typical amplifier will output more watts at the lower resistance rating. Your specs show the opposite. I am not saying it is impossible, but this is different from every amp spec I can remember.

Mar 31, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #2,705 of 2,966
I found the tested specs for an Ultrasonic Oblivion Amp. Obviously a different amp. The specs were tested in 2019
@Phantaminum recently received his Oblivion.
I did measure output power on his amp and it's
4.24W peak into 4 ohms
2.16W peak into 8 ohms
200mW peak into 100 ohms

I did not find the specs on the Ultrasonic Studio Odyssey. Hopefully you can get them again.

Mar 31, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #2,706 of 2,966
Just a thought. You may want to check again on the power output. A typical amplifier will output more watts at the lower resistance rating. Your specs show the opposite. I am not saying it is impossible, but this is different from every amp spec I can remember.
I have an impedance switch, the output transformers were custom wound by Sowter to provide output at 8, 32 and 125 ohms.

I remember dear Thomas taking a long time wiring it all up.

I am not a tube expert, but he had provided me some photos of the build process. These were his own measurements.

Mar 31, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #2,707 of 2,966
i think that violectric amps also do the opposite

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #2,708 of 2,966
I have an impedance switch, the output transformers were custom wound by Sowter to provide output at 8, 32 and 125 ohms.

I remember dear Thomas taking a long time wiring it all up.

I am not a tube expert, but he had provided me some photos of the build process. These were his own measurements.
Okay, good. Just wanted to make sure you don’t get surprised. Let us know how it works out.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #2,709 of 2,966
Mar 31, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #2,710 of 2,966
Apr 1, 2024 at 1:15 AM Post #2,711 of 2,966
My Cayin HA-300 MK2 has a similar output profile with significantly higher wattage at the higher impedance settings.

Appears to be pretty common for many OTC tube amps making them good candidates to pair with Tungstens.

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #2,714 of 2,966
Today, I got to test drive the Tungsten through my home set up, thanks to a local Head-Fi member who owns the Tungsten. I got to hear the DS Tungsten through both my Woo Audio WA22 and my Linear Tube Audio MZ3. Both amps did just fine and both of us agreed that the Tungsten sounded good. The MZ3 needed to dialed up quite high, however (to about 75/100). The WA22 had plenty of extra room on the dial. The headphones did a tad bit better on his Wells Audio Milo solid state amp, which has some super big wattage. The difference was more emphasis in the bass and sub-bass, but again, the WA22 did very well. This is good news because I don't have to feel pressured to get another amp if I buy the Tungsten. We also did some A/B listening of the Tungsten and my Abyss 1266, which was fun. My Abyss are great and won't be going anywhere if I get the Tungsten.
Thanks for the impressions! I also have a decked out WA22 that I was wondering would be good enough for the tungsten and this makes me feel better about it. I have been thinking of trying 300b amps though (Cayin or something) but at least now I can take my time with that.

Any word on what Ryan is up to in terms of preorders now? I heard Nov 3 were shipping, how about Nov 10 and Dec 8?

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #2,715 of 2,966
Any word on what Ryan is up to in terms of preorders now? I heard Nov 3 were shipping, how about Nov 10 and Dec 8?
Don't forget the November 24th orders. About a month ago I asked what the lead time would be for my order which is on November 24th. To his credit he answered after a couple days. He told me two to three weeks. And seeing that the November 10th orders haven't even shipped... Who knows when we're going to get our shipments. It is kind of frustrating when you're told one thing when ordering(10 to 12 weeks) and we are on week 18 I think. It would be nice if he had some sort of list to show the progress like ZMF does. Really the communication isn't very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back