What are the BEST HEADPHONES for DANCE/ELECTRONICA
Jul 1, 2001 at 6:45 AM Post #76 of 95
Just to add to the confusion... A couple of choices from me, that I haven't seen posted so far...

Number 1... Sennheiser HD25 (NOT the SP version) this is the LOUDEST pair of headphones (112db) ever invented as far as I am aware... they are made for DJs and reportedly have a pretty kick ass sound

Number 2... Sony MDR-EX70LP... ok... WAY below budget here... but... think logically... what does everyone complain that these phones have too much of? Mid-Bass... Only concession is that you would need the TA probably to drive these, they are only 100db and not THAT loud at full volume on a minidisc (although... louder than is realistically comfortable)

Number 3... IXOS DJ1001... AI_God (Or... Whatever his new incarnation is called) had a pair of these, these are also for DJ'ing purposes, and from what i understand are quite powerful... and also suffer from the same problem (Paradigms requirement) too much mid-bass... another contender maybe

Sorry if i'm opening up a can of worms here... but... just showing that there are more than three or four options available
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2001 at 8:23 AM Post #77 of 95
Quote:

Number 2... Sony MDR-EX70LP

I have owned them before, and they suck, there is bass is nothing to brag about, and the mids and highs are scratchy. the sony888lp are much better earbuds.

Jul 1, 2001 at 8:28 AM Post #78 of 95
Quote:

except that for price/performance, if i don't have that much, I might get some Paradigms, no kidding! Also some Sennheiser HD-580's and Grado Sr-80's of course.

The paradigms are excellent speakers, they are always worth twice there value. Although The paradigms are really a warm laid back speaker, they just don't grab my attention. if you want a speaker that will take you on a rollar coster ride, something that will put the music in your face, than may i suggest KLIPSCH reference speakers. These puppies will blow you away, many people that have the KLIPSCH ear, or the horn EAR stand by the speakers all the way. In others words it's different kind of sound, just like how the electrostatic speakers is a different sound to convential speakers.

Anyone that is really big on DANCE and TECHNO will fall in love with the KLIPSCH, that's for sure. Go to your local KLIPSCH dealer and listen.

Jul 1, 2001 at 9:15 AM Post #83 of 95
You want bass, get a closed earphone, etymotic er4p. That'll show you bass...if you give it time to. They will give you bass like NOTHING you have ever HEARD OR FELT before. IF you let them grow on you.

you read the stuff I said about ety's?? I was telling you to get the ER4P's, not the sony's, because THEY are the only headphones that can make you feel bass in your ENTIRE body.

REREAD this entire thread. I edited a lot of my posts to talk about Ety's....

Oh, and I don't quite get your problem with the EX70's. if you want GOOD bass, you shoulda taped em up or gotten a less bassy model. if you want LOUD bass, you shoulda stuck with the one you had...and i'm fairly sure the "good, balanced" bass ones go down to 20 hz...as do the "loud, boomy" bass ones....

Jul 1, 2001 at 9:21 AM Post #84 of 95
earbuds are the same damn thing as headphones, but on a smaller scale. The etymotics have the smallest transducers in the world: 3.5mm across. Theyll produce all the ultra low bass you want.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
How's that possible? it's an earbud! Even worse, it's a canalphone!

Seriously though, I doubt you'd ever be able to tell whether a piece of equipment could extend to 20hz or not. It seems extremely obvious to me that all you care about is boomy bass. Get a pair of V700DJ's, you'll be plenty happy. I mean, why are we wasting our time talking about audiophile phones here?

Jul 1, 2001 at 10:14 AM Post #85 of 95
This thread is very confusing, but I might as well add my two cents, even though a buying decision has been made, and for some reason, over something else...

I have heard the Grado SR-80s and the Sony V6/7506 before. The Grados, IMO, are simply in a different, higher class then the 7506 in terms of sheer sound quality. Now whether or not our friend here is striving for that sheer sound quality, or sheer bass quality, I don't know. But overall, Grados are just much better then the Sony V6/7506.

Then way in the beginning, the SR-325s were mentioned, and for some reason, were bypassed, in favor of the SR-60s and V6? Urrm...the SR-325s are just way, WAY better then the other two headphones, they almost can't be compared except that the V6 outputs a louder and deeper bass. Otherwise, the V6 almost sounds like utter crap next to the SR-325, lacking the clarity and details the SR-325s have (totally IMHO though since jude is out there somewhere
biggrin.gif
). Once again though, I suppose it depends on if a person is looking for pure sound quality throughout the frequency spectrum, which is what you should strive for, or if they're concentrating on one area of the spectrum.

Regarding the drivability of ANY Grado, I personally own a Sony MZ-E900, which is much tinier and has a much longer battery life then that MZ-R700 even. And it can adaquately power even the Grado RS-1s just fine. It can power the Sony CD-3000s and MDR-R10s just fine. Hell if I felt like it I could use the 100ohm Etymotic 4S even right off it, albeit at the expense of battery life.

My $.02...I have owned all of the above talked about headphones before, and I definitely would say, IMO, the SR-325s bowls all of the others over. By FAR.

Jul 1, 2001 at 10:29 AM Post #86 of 95
Well, that minidisk player can make the grado's sound good, but I believe it was joelongwood who actually tried the 325's with a similar minidisk player, and it turned out that they didn't have the bass impact, because there wasn't enough power. It seems that Paradigm likes a LOT of bass, VERY loudly.

*sigh*

Where's Apheared when you need him?

Jul 1, 2001 at 10:53 AM Post #87 of 95
I think some of you are confussed, as I said before I like bass, but I want a quality phone. I am very picky with sound, I have very keen ears. I know the SONY V6 are not the best, but they work well with low power devices. Again I said in the beginning I wanted to get the grado 325's, but that would then require me to get an amp, which would cost me an extra 150.

Anyhow I'm thinking of buying a $300 CD player, so I am going to sell my mini disc with street style phones for $99 bucks.

here is the CD player I am buying
DEJ01_lg.jpg

This is the top of the line portable sony cd player SWEET!!!

Jul 1, 2001 at 11:59 AM Post #88 of 95
Paradigm:

The more features a CD player has, the worse it sounds. True. They make sonic sacrafices to add all of those features. And Sony CD players are NOT known for their quality sound!!

PANASONIC makes the best CD players for sound quality! If you can, get the discontinued SL-CT470, or, better yet, the Japanese version of the SL-CT570. If you can't find a place to order either online, get the currently-in-production SL-CT480. At most, one of these should cost you $130, and be WAY higher quality than that Sony CD player.

And, if you wanted something HIGHER quality than the 325's, that DIDN'T need an amp, you should have gotten the Etymotic ER4P's.

How many times have I tried to tell you that. Eight?

Jul 1, 2001 at 12:17 PM Post #89 of 95
Gluegun... do you mean CURRENT Sony CDPs??

If not, I'd like to see you to try and convince us D-777 owners on this site that our CDPs sound crap
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2001 at 1:07 PM Post #90 of 95
Of COURSE I mean current CD players, silly! He's talking about a brand new, tiny, sucky "Top of the line" one. I'm dissing THAT ONE. Why wouldn't I be talking about current ones?

And of COURSE I am envious of you all who have those ancient Sony CD players that can power a set of HD495's or ER4S's well, sound like a home CD player, and are all durable, and have 8 hours of battery life off of a big charge pack...heheheh....

Anyways, I hope he sees the post about the Panasonics before he blows $300.

Hey! I bet $20 it takes me over fifteen replies with the word "Etymotic" in them for him to ask about those phones, to maybe even consider that he made a mistake.... (just kidding about the $20, thing, but let's see how long it takes!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back