What are the BEST HEADPHONES for DANCE/ELECTRONICA
Jul 1, 2001 at 4:20 AM Post #61 of 95
Quote:

Which is why Rap/Techno/Pop is so popular, and has that loud repetetive ~80 hz midbass thump thump thump.... the midbass thump naturally makes you happy, no quality music required.

Then how come I'm most definitely NOT happy when some clown drives by my house with that THUMP-THUMP-THUMP pouring out of his/her car?
mad.gif

As for the "natural" chemicals......I knew that......I was trying[/] to make a joke.
Thanks again for the info......but as I said earlier, I think I'll stick to real instruments.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2001 at 4:25 AM Post #62 of 95
Because it takes a little while, to release em, silly! :p And besides, I'm pretty sure "audiophile annoyance at that @*(%@! badly-mixed sound through godawful speakers" will override any natural chemicals. Anyways, if you are curious about the effect, just go to a dance club sometime, and DON'T listen, FEEL the music. That's the effect they're goin' for.

Jul 1, 2001 at 4:25 AM Post #63 of 95
millionbuy_1643_9577560

These phones SONY V6 were made in 1987, they look nice but are not avablible from the sony store. This means I i have to buy them online. I can't go to the store and hear them, damn!

GLUE please tell me in your opinion what sounds better for dance the sony or grado 80?

Jul 1, 2001 at 4:31 AM Post #64 of 95
*sigh* that's gonna be a tough choice to make, mate....

Hmm. Some people did some direct comparisons ov the V6's and SR-80's a while back, but they are buried in the headwize.com archives. Could someone dig it out?

Hmmm. V6's and SR-80's...

both are fairly well known for having that Klipsch speaker type sound. The V6's go lower than the SR-80's, but the SR-80's are supposedly a higher quality phone in many respects. Also, the SR-80's are open, so they have that more "out of your head" sound, but, the V6's, being closed, may have better stereo imaging the the SR-80's, which are only "good" at stereo imaging. Than again, there is something to be said for the physical impact that only a closed phone can really give you (the same reason all subwoofers are closed, ya know? something to bounce the sound off of...) ....although grados are known for their impact, I, personally, have never directly compared the two headphones. I have a feeling that the V6's, since they block out other sound and I THINK they are more efficient, MIGHT be better for dance..and since they go lower than the SR-80's.

All of my information is hearsay, but....my gut feeling says to go with the V6's. Chances are, the song was MIXED on a set of freaking V6's, so it is SUPPOSED to sound best on a set of V6's...

Oh, this link is one of the best places to buy em online.

http://www.djmart.com/noname5.html

Jul 1, 2001 at 4:41 AM Post #68 of 95
*cues the twilight zone theme*

Well, I think it's probably over. I mean, after ordering the V6's, what more can he do? At most, order a Total Airhead, right? but his player SHOULD be able to power em....

You know? once you get a headphone that goes lower than anything else except maybe a set of Etymotics or a Stax (/me does not know if this previous statement is true, but it might be), than you aren't gonna wanna give em up that easily, you know?

Jul 1, 2001 at 4:47 AM Post #71 of 95
Don't worry! The bass he's looking for is naturally boomy. Heck, I listen to this type of music in my DT-831's (It's a guilty pleasure), and, you know what? It's boomy, even with headphones with tight bass, because a "boomy bass" signal is being sent to the headphones! However, in order to get the volume necessary for the impact/chemicals, you gotta turn up something like the 831's to painful levels, and he won't have to turn it up so high for that feeling with the V6's. He'll be fine. And, if he decides to listen to something that needs tight bass, he'll be happy, since the V6's bass is naturally pretty tight, because not EVERY type of electronica that has those big midbass beats makes em boomy, only most. Now, he'll be able to tell which few electronica groups are nice enough to use tight bass...

Jul 1, 2001 at 5:33 AM Post #72 of 95
Wow... what a thread. Just finished reading all 70 posts. Yikes!

To chime in a little bit: I agree about avoiding the Sony V600 headphones... I mistakenly bought a pair of these a couple of years ago, and they sound awful! The V6, however, is quite a nice pair of headphones.

I'm wondering if part your problem, Paradigm, is that you are turning up the volume so loud that the bass is distorting because the minidisk's amp is pooping out?

One other (wacky) thought: maybe you should look into a vibration transducer (hope that's the right name) - one of these devices that physically vibrates against your body.

Hmm... a quick search only came up with one pair, from Panasonic:
http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...=True&active=1

As an aside, I noticed the posts about techno not having real instruments. If I'm not out of line, I'd like to post a link to one of our band's techno songs which is a mixture of real instruments (guitar, bass, drums), and synthetic sounds: drum loops, samples and synths.

I know that posting this is probably out of place, and if it's *too* out of place, can a moderator please delete my post?

Here's the song: "Lord Have Mercy" by Holy Zoo:

http://www.swingteam.com/holyzoo/mp3...Have_Mercy.mp3

Jul 1, 2001 at 5:39 AM Post #73 of 95
Okay. You want loads of bass.

Do you want a bright or a dark headphone? If you want something dark, try the HD500. It is VERY bassy. It mjight need a TA to be driven properly out of the MD player (My RZ-55 could barely drive my HD500s acceptably, and they are easy to drive).

Just one thing - audition them first, and compare them with a more neutral headphone.

When I got my HD500s, they sounded crystal clear to me because I had never heard a halfway decent headphone before.

I used these things for a year and a half untill I got my HD600, and now I can hear how bassy they are. And how little treble they put out.

They will vibrate, thump, and whump untill your ears vibrate off. And there is also an easy looking DIY project for the HD500s on Headwize of which the owner claims can make the headphones even more bassier.

Oh, you chose the V6. Good choice, hope ya like em
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2001 at 6:37 AM Post #74 of 95
Paradigm: You have Definitive Technology Speakers?!??!?!!!!

Guys: He owns Definitive Technology Speakers, this guy is cool!!!

I've read a few reviews on the DT lineup, and I am dedicated to saving up a lot of $$$ and buying some, they really have gotta be the coolest speakers around, imo!! (except that for price/performance, if i don't have that much, I might get some Paradigms, no kidding! Also some Sennheiser HD-580's and Grado Sr-80's of course.

Seems like with such a top grade sound system, I doubt you would want to get a pair of koss cans. I recommend (based on all of the talk throughout the forums, and at headwize, but not from my own experience) that you should get maybe some Denon AHD-950's, Grado SR-80's, Grado SR-325's, or Sony V6's seem to be a good pick as well. Then team your pick with an Airhead amp $100 US, or a TA (Total Airhead) approx $150 US at Headroom.

I find that I'm in the same kind of situation as you, and it's pretty complicated to listen to other people's opinions on sound, and to take their advice into definite consideration, but don't absolutely rely on it.

For example, I keep hearing good things about the Koss Portapros, and just a while ago I heard my friend's pair. Now don't get me wrong, I thought they were good, and had boomy bass and all, but I just wasn't as impressed as I thought I might be after hearing so many good things about them in the forums.
[Mind you I did only hear them for about 30 seconds, and thought that they sounded good, but I would much rather spend some extra cash and get the SR-80's or V6's]

I guess what I'm saying is not to get your hopes too high, and that everyone has their own opinions of what good sound is.

I suggest that maybe you should go to a Cambridge Soundworks near you, I hear they have lots of headphones available to demo, and find the set of cans which are the right ones for you. This is what I'm doing as I find that I'm the best one to decide what kind of sound I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back