Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 8, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #151,021 of 152,465
My Mac and Linux systems get Midnight Commander installed first thing. it's very similar to Total Commander except it runs in a terminal window, with mouse support.
Commander ONE Pro here.

May 8, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #151,022 of 152,465
Had three of these 1130's that I had to maintain back in the early 70's...OMG!

1715167983256.png

Back in the day we used these computers and others (1800 series) with core memory to test semiconductor memory chips and modules... ran millions of test patterns into memory for quality assurance and functionality.
Did you enjoy fixing paper tape parity errors with Scotch tape and punch chaff? :ksc75smile:

May 8, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #151,023 of 152,465
The reason Digital MADE the DEC-System 10 (and 20) 36 bits, is because of LISP requirements for memory addressing… the 18 bits were a perfect fit. Critical functions in LISP could be implemented basically in the core instruction set (especially with all the Half-word instructions in Macro-10/20).
I *loved* that instruction set -- that is, until our AI programs started needing a bit more memory and we could not garbage-collect ourselves out of trouble.

May 8, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #151,024 of 152,465
And tonight's Jazz recommendation is...

JazzReco-6.jpg

** I'll try to get another up tomorrow, but not sure if I'll be able. Depends on how long our board meeting runs.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #151,025 of 152,465
That's doable with other languages too, as my intro CS students 20 years ago discovered :wink:
Undoubtedly true. In my fairly limited experience programming, I’ve come to the opinion that data structures change, but everything else eventually boils down to the same set of instructions.

I will say that taking programming classes was a humbling experience. By far the most time intensive homework of all my classes, even compared to subjects such as quantum physics, relativity, compressible (supersonic) fluid flow and system science mathematics.

May 8, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #151,026 of 152,465
Since we are doing desks... Personal Mac, work Mac, headphone gear (including MJ3 top left)

PXL_20240509_011328629.jpg

May 8, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #151,027 of 152,465
IMG_5084.jpeg

Maybe this one.🤪
That's beautiful!

Mine would have to be made all of that red wood to cover up all the accidents I have. What is that red wood?

My family barely trusts me with a spoon these days.

May 8, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #151,028 of 152,465
No really visible Schiit in my "office" photo, but the Vidar is off to the left atop a dual 10" Isobarik Sub.
There is also a black Magni build into the headphone stand behind the laptop, although no headphones on display currently.

I do however have :
- VU Meters :heavy_check_mark:
- Cats and Dogs (see the mousepad) :heavy_check_mark:
- Some woodwork by me :heavy_check_mark:
- Speakers by me :heavy_check_mark:
- Newish Keyboard and Mouse :heavy_check_mark:
- Spinny backup drives 8TB :heavy_check_mark:
- Schiit Happened Open on a second screen :relieved:

I'll do better with the lack of booze, although the two canisters, empty, in the back left are Don Papa Rum from the Philippines.

IMG_4178.jpg

May 8, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #151,030 of 152,465
That's beautiful!

Mine would have to be made all of that red wood to cover up all the accidents I have. What is that red wood?

My family barely trusts me with a spoon these days.
That is blood wood as best I recall, sometimes it is deep red, sometimes yellow and red. That is a chromium Japanese Damascus steel. Regular high carbon steel would rust in the northern Florida South Georgia clime, even while sitting in a drawer. I think through such things.🤪 The light wood in the handle is spalted maple, as is the center of the charcuterie board. Sam is a great friend and I tried to make something special.IMG_7431.jpegIMG_7247.jpeg
More bloodwood stripes, IMHO it can be overpowering if too much is used.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #151,031 of 152,465
That is blood wood as best I recall, sometimes it is deep red, sometimes yellow and red. ... Sam is a great friend and I tried to make something special.
Blood wood, how appropriate!

IMO, you succeeded amazingly.

There's a Stuff You Should Know about Damascus steel. I didn't hear it, wife did and now refers to it as "the steel with waves in it" or "wavy steel" 🤦‍♂️

May 8, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #151,032 of 152,465
I notice the distinct lack of "order from and drive to Treehouse and pick up beer" in your list of to-dos... Geez, man! Our kid went to two Unis in CT, and Treehouse was on her list every time I showed up. Welcome to the bank of Dad...
Treehouse. I have never been there. A guy I do business with says he goes there with his wife to get beer and they both love it. Now I shall have to look into it more seriously.

May 8, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #151,033 of 152,465
Gonna need to hear the full story behind that DiMaggio / Williams signed photo…
No big story, just a little mid life crisis I guess with a dose of ocd and sports mem collection. There’s lots of cool stuff just in that photo. 2010 team canada complete team signed goalie mask, or how bout when Gretzky beat Geordie Howe all time point total and signed by Wayne, Gordie, Walter, and Janet Gretzky.

I'm more interested in the Maurice Richard photo. My uncle played in the NHL back in the day...well, lots of days ago. And he played with the Rocket on the Canadiens over 3 seasons ('47-'50) during the course of his long career.

Concerning Maurice Richard that’s his 40 in 40 photo with forum net, but got a few signed Maurice including 1 of 9 sports illustrated sport covers…..oh signed jersey as well. Thank goodness I ran out of wall space….

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #151,034 of 152,465
Another of my hobbies as well of course. I am shocked @bcowen never asked me for a tiger maple version.😉IMG_6851.jpegIMG_6778.jpegIMG_5827.jpeg
Beautiful. I’ve been thinking I need a bigger heat treat oven for the steel. Unless I go carbon steel I’m limited to about 10 inches total steel length- see below for carbon steel example.

IMG_4087.jpeg

Handle in progress:
IMG_4066.jpeg

May 8, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #151,035 of 152,465
Blood wood, how appropriate!

IMO, you succeeded amazingly.

There's a Stuff You Should Know about Damascus steel. I didn't hear it, wife did and now refers to it as "the steel with waves in it" or "wavy steel" 🤦‍♂️
Layered steel might be more appropriate but I understand the description.😁 I should build you a little something with bloodwood, you were more than kind with the bourbon you sent me. Perhaps a bread board.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back