Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 8, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #150,916 of 152,429
A circle back again!

In 1988 I worked for said UK computer comapny. My brother can down for this concert: https://www.jeanmicheljarre.com/live/destination-docklands

All the local roads were closed and the weather was abysmal so that the huge crowds could walk from the station to the venue. I was s sailor then and we both were dressed in foul-weather gear and took some ribbing from otehrs in the crowd as we walked in and socilaized at the venue.

They went quieted down when it pi$$ed it down. One person towards the front decided to put up a huge umbrella. Have you ever heard many thousands of folks build a chant directed at one person?

Fun times. I just sent my brother the link.
They released an album of the 1988 concert(s). It's on Qobuz.

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 09.35.26.png

May 8, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #150,917 of 152,429
*sigh*. My top-trim Honda Passport has, at a rough count, 78 buttons and switches, many things can be done remotely via a phone app, has an extensive diagnostics menu if you're into that sort of thing, and is a rolling many-networked-microcomputers (read: many points of potential failure) thing that has very little in it that a backyard mechanic is capable of dealing with without the proper electronics diagnostics tools. It also has a hyper-sensitive object/collision detection (and auto-braking) system that is turned on by default when you start the car. That system is under investigation by the US government (in the Accord and CRV. Same system, though). https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a60526893/nhtsa-honda-accord-cr-v-emergency-braking-investigation/
A fender-bender on those new cars will cost $1,500 to repair because of all the sensors.

May 8, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #150,918 of 152,429
Unfortunately, I can't justify this product. I'll stick with my headphone amplifiers (with maybe a GJALLARHORN and a pair of Klipsch aimed at my head). :triportsad:
How's your new house out in the boondocks coming along, @ScubaMan2017?

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #150,919 of 152,429
To say that I am not cut out for IT would be a massive understatement.

Operating a streamer stretches my capabilities!

It’s one reason I enjoy playing CDs and vinyl.

It’s also one of the reasons I like my ‘classic car’- an MGB GT V8.

It is an ‘analogue car’.

No computer at all :beyersmile:
The good old KISS ( keep it simple stupid ) principle for me every time

May 8, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #150,920 of 152,429
On my way to obtaining full forum Schiitizenship:
Accumulate Schiit stack going back to 2018 - MB Bifrost OG, Valhalla, Vali 2, Lyr 3, Mani, Magni 3+, Yggy, MJ3, etc.
Purchase Vali 3 and buy so many tubes that UPS guy is threatening to go on strike unless I consolidate deliveries of these tiny boxes.
Order 5670 - 12AU7 adapter to continue tube decent into hell.
Share tubes with someone on the forum.
Visit Total Wines in Central Connecticut and acquire Oregon Spirits BiB Rye and Wheat whiskeys. (Based on @sixergixer advice)
BiBOSjpg.jpg

Almost there - still have to adopt adorable cat.

"Without labor, nothing prospers" Sophocles

May 8, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #150,921 of 152,429
For an insanely configurable and powerful Explorer replacement, take a look at Directory Opus. One of the first things I do after I install it is set dual-pane as the default. It got its start on the Amiga 30+ years ago. It's not free (nor inexpensive), but I won't use any other file manager on my Windows PC's.
I remember Opus from my Amiga days. Nowadays I tend to use Dolphin on my Linux boxes.

May 8, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #150,922 of 152,429
download.jpeg

Where my journey began.

I remember the first network hard drive at the school my Dad taught. It was the size of a small pizza oven. 5 whopping MB.

I now have 20TB storage and a network arguably more complex running my HT and home automation.
I used to sell those. I worked at Radio Shack whilst going to college.

May 8, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #150,923 of 152,429
Accumulate Schiit stack going back to 2018 - MB Bifrost OG, Valhalla, Vali 2, Lyr 3, Mani, Magni 3+, Yggy, MJ3, etc.
Purchase Vali 3 and buy so many tubes that UPS guy is threatening to go on strike unless I consolidate deliveries of these tiny boxes.
Visit Total Wines in Central Connecticut and acquire Oregon Spirits BiB Rye and Wheat whiskeys. (Based on @sixergixer advice)
BiBOSjpg.jpg

HELL. YES.

This is Level 99 effort here. 🙌

The cat will get you that coveted Level 100 and the platinum trophy.

May 8, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #150,924 of 152,429
HELL. YES.

This is Level 99 effort here. 🙌

The cat will get you that coveted Level 100 and the platinum trophy.
🤪🤪🤪
Finnegan is helping me wrap and ship items to @sam6550a and @Orange5o this morn. Then lunch with the wife and a bit of relaxing prior to my next project.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #150,925 of 152,429
I have been really falling in love with this album, and especially 'Electricity'. What great music here in the Blending House today! 🥃

IMG_7297.jpeg

May 8, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #150,927 of 152,429
Been running an inhouse competition between the Schiit Vali 3 and Schiits Midgard
Although I love the Vali 3 and all the recent tube experiments...I have to say
that the Midgard really tops the little Vali 3...even with the really good tubes.

There is just more power and thus control of most of my headphone drivers.
Very noticeable....yup it sure is...

That said the Vali 3 is here to stay and allows for a really decent hybrid tube experience.

Cans using in this experiment are Rad 0's, planars, but very efficient.
Using the SE, non halo 1/4 phone jack on the Midgard, same power as the XLR out.

1715185950165.png

Alex

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #150,928 of 152,429
Lol! Us outsiders or newbies! I love the evolution of topics! Now old computers and strange fruit. Lol!!! Can I have a puppy or kitty please?
We remain vigilant watching over this thread to make sure it doesn't go to the dogs. 🤣

Treat Time.jpg

May 8, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #150,929 of 152,429
I can remember owning a Fidelity chess challenger created in 1976 that had more capabilities than the computer that helped land us on the moon.🤪
I bought mine about 1981, it was originally based on an 8088 processor. It took many years before Big Blue beat an international grandmaster, 1997. Now there are some crazy good chess engines.

Fidelity chess computers won the first four World Microcomputer Chess Championships: Chess Challenger won in London 1980, Fidelity X in Travemünde 1981, Elite A/S in Budapest 1983, and Elite X in Glasgow 1984. Moreover, they won the four United States Open Computer Chess Championships, all held in Mobile, Alabama, in 1985, 1986, 1987 and 1988 (Chessmaster 2100) . A remarkable performance is its first place in the ACM 1988 Championship, tied with Deep Thought.”

Now as far as home computers it was a Commodore 64 followed by early IBM’s then a clone 286, 386 etc. I can recall graduating from a composite color monitor on an Atari to EGA, VGA, and SVGA on up. I dismantled an early EGA monitor, reverse engineered it and got a company into a computer monitor repair business. Companies like IBM did not supply schematics, nor did those made in other countries. My son began with computers at age four and that led to his profession.
Commodore 64 was a blast! I remember plugging game cartridges into the keyboard, before we upgraded to the floppy peripheral

I have been really falling in love with this album, and especially 'Electricity'. What great music here in the Blending House today! 🥃

Just ran this through the degritter, may spin it today! Got the 3 disc set with the extra tracks... have been lucky enough to see Bill several times this decade (I think he grew up in CO), and even caught a show an hour before we went to the hospital to have our kid!

May 8, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #150,930 of 152,429
BiBOSjpg.jpg

Your accomplishments in such a short period of time are simply amazing.

You'll need to take a position on BBQ at some point, but until then great job! 🤣 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back