Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 8, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #150,902 of 152,417
For an insanely configurable and powerful Explorer replacement, take a look at Directory Opus. One of the first things I do after I install it is set dual-pane as the default. It got its start on the Amiga 30+ years ago. It's not free (nor inexpensive), but I won't use any other file manager on my Windows PC's.
For me, my all time fav Windows Explorer replacement is Total Commander. What a wonderful software. I discovered it when I was beginning my uni years and never came back. Windows Explorer feels so primitive in comparison.

May 8, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #150,903 of 152,417
For me, my all time fav Windows Explorer replacement is Total Commander. What a wonderful software. I discovered it when I was beginning my uni years and never came back. Windows Explorer feels so primitive in comparison.

My Mac and Linux systems get Midnight Commander installed first thing. it's very similar to Total Commander except it runs in a terminal window, with mouse support.

May 8, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #150,904 of 152,417
Had three of these 1130's that I had to maintain back in the early 70's...OMG!

1715167983256.png

Back in the day we used these computers and others (1800 series) with core memory to test semiconductor memory chips and modules... ran millions of test patterns into memory for quality assurance and functionality.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #150,905 of 152,417
First engineering job out of college- management figured I should know Autocad. I was lucky enough to graduate when the debut of 286s and 386s made CAD practical on desktop PCs. I still work every day with CAD/CAM but I use a lot more programs than ACAD now.
I learned AutoCAD R10 in school many many moons ago. I ended up buying the student version of R11 and used that for a LONG time.

May 8, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #150,906 of 152,417
I have been waffling back and forth about getting Ragnarok for a few years. Love the design. Love the stepped attenuator. I’m a little torn about input options but “Just an amp” for $1k is a great offer. Problem is I kinda sorta maybe don’t need it.

But I kinda sorta still want it. At the very least I could save it for
a family member. Dammit! Jason strikes again!
Unfortunately, I can't justify this product. I'll stick with my headphone amplifiers (with maybe a GJALLARHORN and a pair of Klipsch aimed at my head). :triportsad:

May 8, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #150,907 of 152,417
download.jpeg

Where my journey began.

I remember the first network hard drive at the school my Dad taught. It was the size of a small pizza oven. 5 whopping MB.

I now have 20TB storage and a network arguably more complex running my HT and home automation.

May 8, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #150,908 of 152,417
Unfortunately, I can't justify this product. I'll stick with my headphone amplifiers (with maybe a GJALLARHORN and a pair of Klipsch aimed at my head). :triportsad:

I'm with you. The allure of such a powerful, multifunctional unit complels me. But, I absolutely have no use case for it.

May 8, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #150,909 of 152,417
download.jpeg

Where my journey began.

I remember the first network hard drive at the school my Dad taught. It was the size of a small pizza oven. 5 whopping MB.

I now have 20TB storage and a network arguably more complex running my HT and home automation.
1983-1988... that was my introduction to this technology in a British Columbian high school. Apple IIe and its ilk (link).

May 8, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #150,910 of 152,417
That is Bug, she's recovering from having her second mast cell tumor removed.
20240507_221054.jpg
Just two months after we lost the other one, Buster (below) who was my son's best friend. Boxers are awesome but the cancer rate is heartbreaking.
signal-2024-03-02-18-59-03-305-2.jpg
Cute bug. Cute kid. Cancer bad. Sorry for your loss, and your son's! They look happy!

May 8, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #150,911 of 152,417
I can remember owning a Fidelity chess challenger created in 1976 that had more capabilities than the computer that helped land us on the moon.🤪
I bought mine about 1981, it was originally based on an 8088 processor. It took many years before Big Blue beat an international grandmaster, 1997. Now there are some crazy good chess engines.

Fidelity chess computers won the first four World Microcomputer Chess Championships: Chess Challenger won in London 1980, Fidelity X in Travemünde 1981, Elite A/S in Budapest 1983, and Elite X in Glasgow 1984. Moreover, they won the four United States Open Computer Chess Championships, all held in Mobile, Alabama, in 1985, 1986, 1987 and 1988 (Chessmaster 2100) . A remarkable performance is its first place in the ACM 1988 Championship, tied with Deep Thought.”

Now as far as home computers it was a Commodore 64 followed by early IBM’s then a clone 286, 386 etc. I can recall graduating from a composite color monitor on an Atari to EGA, VGA, and SVGA on up. I dismantled an early EGA monitor, reverse engineered it and got a company into a computer monitor repair business. Companies like IBM did not supply schematics, nor did those made in other countries. My son began with computers at age four and that led to his profession.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #150,914 of 152,417
I studied and used Pascal, COBOL, basic, C+, and LISP. I understood the logic but I was never very good at it and left it behind. I was also for a brief time a Novell System Admin, but I hated that. I am not cut out for IT, but I’m what might be called a fairly advanced user.
In grad school in the late 80's I was using Fortran to model Gaussian beam propagation and was using the school's "mainframe" to crunch the numbers. Couldn't tell ya what the "mainframe" actually was because we peons weren't allowed near it. We just received our printouts through a slot in the wall. Anyway, it took 2-3 hours for my code to run on that system. Then, when that was going nowhere, I got a real job and was able to buy my first PC - a 486-33! I don't remember any of the details except when I ran my code on my computer, it would spit out a graph in about 5 minutes. I was blown away. Of course now we have today's technology, with my 4 TB music SSD that I take to work with me.

May 8, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #150,915 of 152,417
I think that @Ripper2860 owns one and there's another member I think as well, but overall there hasn't been much chatter about the Aegir 2 here.
I've caught a few comments from some folks on Reddit and then Steve G's review that I felt could have been thought out a little better - definitely should have paired it with his Zu DW6 Superfly as that is such an obvious pairing price-wise!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back