Roon is live
May 2, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #661 of 701
To update this, I set this up yesterday evening. It all worked even with my limited skill ! Took me about an hour and a half to set it all up.

Massive improvement on speed and any issues I was having with Arc are now resolved.

Very happy I took the decision to buy a Nuc, albeit early days !

May 3, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #664 of 701
It doesn't sound as good.

Really? I would have said the opposite.

Personally, apart from the sound quality, I like the song discovery algorithm (the so-called 'radio').

I also like the cataloging of the contents (in the 'versions' menu) of the albums, which allows you to see the various available versions of the same album or song in your library.

May 3, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #665 of 701
Really? I would have said the opposite.

Personally, apart from the sound quality, I like the song discovery algorithm (the so-called 'radio').

I also like the cataloging of the contents (in the 'versions' menu) of the albums, which allows you to see the various available versions of the same album or song in your library.
Totally agree with you, the algorithm of Roon is one of the reasons why I went ahead. I have found some great music on Roon radio.

I've not noticed any degradation in sound. I would say quite the opposite, between the streaming platforms it picks the best quality. Everyone's perception and ears are different but I really enjoy it.

May 3, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #666 of 701
Excellent answer thank you.

As I don't know dBpoweramp is it best to buy the total software package or dBpoweramp and PerfectTUNES?

If I put the library on an external SSD could I connect that to the NUC and transfer to the internal SSD?
In my experience, it's not NECESSARY to put your personal library on the Roon box. There still might be reason why someone would want to do it.

I have a Roon Nucleus
* hardwired ethernet cable to router
* 1.5 TB or so of FLAC files on a network-attached hard drive

and I have never detected any "performance issues" with that setup. Qobuz over internet and my-stuff over internal network sound & feel the same to me.

Leaving my tunes where they were, rather than moving them to Roon-box:
* saved me time, by not having to move stuff
* allows me to keep using my existing (Windows) backup process
* allows me to keep using my existing (WIndows) ripping software.
* note: I haven't ripped a single CD since i got Qobuz. Haven't bought any new CDs.
* lets me use JRMC music player occasionally if I want to, because my music files are still accessible, in the same path that JRMC was using.

May 3, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #667 of 701
In my experience, it's not NECESSARY to put your personal library on the Roon box. There still might be reason why someone would want to do it.

I have a Roon Nucleus
* hardwired ethernet cable to router
* 1.5 TB or so of FLAC files on a network-attached hard drive

and I have never detected any "performance issues" with that setup. Qobuz over internet and my-stuff over internal network sound & feel the same to me.

Leaving my tunes where they were, rather than moving them to Roon-box:
* saved me time, by not having to move stuff
* allows me to keep using my existing (Windows) backup process
* allows me to keep using my existing (WIndows) ripping software.
* note: I haven't ripped a single CD since i got Qobuz. Haven't bought any new CDs.
* lets me use JRMC music player occasionally if I want to, because my music files are still accessible, in the same path that JRMC was using.
One plus to copying the files to the NUC is that it is another place the files live incase of data corruption on the NAS.
I have mine saved in about five different places for redundancy.

Oh, and another note, is that having them "locally" on the NUC alleviates some of the issues with network access "quirkyness". :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have been helping a few people try to get their NAS storage accessible due to network permissions issues etc.

May 17, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #670 of 701
Well that makes me feel better. I was feeling like a chump for not getting it in December or whatever
I am confused what the poster is referring to in the response. I converted to a lifetime subscription in mid-December 2022.

May 18, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #672 of 701
For those running a Nuc with rock where do you have your backups stored ? It’s asking me for a file path so I presume it prefers a back up on an external pc rather than the two drives I have in the Nuc?

TIA
I have mine on an external disk and on my NAS. You could use a thumb drive, however several have reported that theirs thumb drives were bricked by Roon as it is hard on them? The recommendation is to use a NAS, dropbox, or local (network) hard drive (like a shared drive or folder on another computer) . You should NOT back-up to either of the internal drives as they are "watched" folders and that causes issues.
Here is the warning on it from the KB from Roon:
"We strongly recommend that you do not set the location of Database Backups to be within any Watched Folders because Roon will try to scan that directory and scan the Database Backup itself. This can cause issues, so please keep the locations separate."
Take a look here for more info:
https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/backup

@Luke Skywalker - They still offer lifetime but it is now $829.99. So yeah, the price has gone up (I bought mine for $499 back in 2017)

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #674 of 701
Not sure 🤔 if others were already aware of this, but in the last Roon update yesterday Roon introduced MUSE to replace the DSP engine. This changes nothing in Roon itself but is a major improvement in Arc- which now has a full suite of DSP tools included —PEQ, LR balance, Crossfeed, and Volume leveling. These all make significant changes to SQ in Arc and are (for me anyway, YMMV) one more reason for continuing with Roon but ALSO one more reason to get off the “DAP” train - Arc now let’s me do anything I could do with a DAP from my smartphone -more even.

https://blog.roonlabs.com/introduci...dium=email&utm_campaign=roon&utm_content=muse

Dec 1, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #675 of 701

Users who are viewing this thread

Back