Roon is live
Apr 24, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #646 of 701
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #647 of 701
I've just ordered a NUC to run Rock as I was using an old MAC which isn't the most efficient when running 24/7 as I use ARC when away from home.
I'm going to rip my entire CD collection (which will take a while) I've bought another SSD to go in the NUC so I have one for the operating system and one for storage.
I am assuming I can use Rock to do this as I have an external CD drive I can connect to the NUC?
Am I correct in thinking that when I've done this I can create a copy to an External drive to keep as a backup?

Apr 24, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #648 of 701
I've just ordered a NUC to run Rock as I was using an old MAC which isn't the most efficient when running 24/7 as I use ARC when away from home.
I'm going to rip my entire CD collection (which will take a while) I've bought another SSD to go in the NUC so I have one for the operating system and one for storage.
I am assuming I can use Rock to do this as I have an external CD drive I can connect to the NUC?
Am I correct in thinking that when I've done this I can create a copy to an External drive to keep as a backup?
I would recommend NOT using the Roons ripper to rip your CDs. I have not tried it but I have read that it is not the best. It might be good for one or two CDs. however, there is not a lot of control over what the files and folders are named or for adjusting metadata.

I would recommend dBpoweramp for CD ripping.
I would rip them locally, then save them to a backup medium, then transfer them to the NUC/Rock.
How you transfer depends on how much you have to move.
You can do it over the network as long as everything is connected by ethernet. The speed will depend on your network topology. This is the easiest way especially if you map the storage location and can just drag and drop. You could also just drag and drop onto Roon, but I would suggest copying to the storage location using file explorer.
Or I have seen people set-up Rock, format the drive with Rock WebUI, then remove the drive from the NUC and connect it to their PC via USB adapter to transfer the files. This would be faster but with the need to remove the drive, which is not really that tough if you leave the cover off the nuc until you are completely done.

Apr 24, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #649 of 701
I would recommend NOT using the Roons ripper to rip your CDs. I have not tried it but I have read that it is not the best. It might be good for one or two CDs. however, there is not a lot of control over what the files and folders are named or for adjusting metadata.

I would recommend dBpoweramp for CD ripping.
I would rip them locally, then save them to a backup medium, then transfer them to the NUC/Rock.
How you transfer depends on how much you have to move.
You can do it over the network as long as everything is connected by ethernet. The speed will depend on your network topology. This is the easiest way especially if you map the storage location and can just drag and drop. You could also just drag and drop onto Roon, but I would suggest copying to the storage location using file explorer.
Or I have seen people set-up Rock, format the drive with Rock WebUI, then remove the drive from the NUC and connect it to their PC via USB adapter to transfer the files. This would be faster but with the need to remove the drive, which is not really that tough if you leave the cover off the nuc until you are completely done.
Excellent answer thank you.

As I don't know dBpoweramp is it best to buy the total software package or dBpoweramp and PerfectTUNES?

If I put the library on an external SSD could I connect that to the NUC and transfer to the internal SSD?

Apr 24, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #650 of 701
Some NUC models have room for two SSD. One is for running the Rock operating system and the other for storage. If you have a Nuc with just one SSD it cannot be used for storage. My catalogue was small so I used a thumbdrive and attached it to the Nuc.

Apr 24, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #651 of 701
Some NUC models have room for two SSD. One is for running the Rock operating system and the other for storage. If you have a Nuc with just one SSD it cannot be used for storage. My catalogue was small so I used a thumbdrive and attached it to the Nuc.
I bought one with the ability to have two drives, one for the operating system an one for storage, 256gb and 1TB

I hoping I got this right lol

Apr 24, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #652 of 701
Excellent answer thank you.

As I don't know dBpoweramp is it best to buy the total software package or dBpoweramp and PerfectTUNES?

If I put the library on an external SSD could I connect that to the NUC and transfer to the internal SSD?
You don't really need Perfectunes. Unless you really want it I guess. I only use dBpoweramp reference. It has functions for adding artwork, editing tags, and uses accuraterip for verification.
It looks like this (you can edit the fields and the artwork before ripping):
1682346054933.png

You can connect an external drive to the NUC and see if it shows up in the storage folder on the NUC.
You will end up with a directory for "internal storage" and a Roon named directory for the external drive like this:
1682345711301.png

You "should" be able to copy from one to the other, but I have not tried that so, YMMV.

Apr 24, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #655 of 701
I wonder how badly I need to use an SSD for my library? I have 32 gigs of ram and a 40 gig CAT8 network in my house. Only 10 gig switches and computers of course

Even my DSD’s that I bought from native DSD are only 22.4 Mb per second I think which is less than 3MB per second

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #656 of 701
I bought 16gb, hoping that was enough!

Appreciate your input.
16GB should be fine. Is it one module or two? (one module would be single channel which would be slower)
If you really get into DSP and/or your library gets into the 200K track range you might see some issues.

Apr 24, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #657 of 701
I bought one with the ability to have two drives, one for the operating system an one for storage, 256gb and 1TB

I hoping I got this right lol

With Rock and NUC you need two drives, the internal drive which is an m2 drive and an SSD drive, if you bought the taller nuc it goes inside, if you got the one that cant take an internal you can use a usb drive (though I prefer the clean lines of having no attachments like drives on mine),...

Apr 24, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #659 of 701
With Rock and NUC you need two drives, the internal drive which is an m2 drive and an SSD drive, if you bought the taller nuc it goes inside, if you got the one that cant take an internal you can use a usb drive (though I prefer the clean lines of having no attachments like drives on mine),...
I got the taller one so all good.

Thanks everyone 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back