Pathos Inpol Ear Headphone Amplifier
Feb 16, 2021 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 694

m-i-c-k-e-y

Headphoneus Supremus
It has been 4 years since its introduction and still no dedicated thread for this headphone amplifier.
Hoping we could share our journey/experiences with this headphone amplifier made in Italy.

Pathos Acoustics and InPol Technology
Pathos is an Italian hi-fi company founded in 1994. Led by a team of three: Gaetano Zanini, Gianni Borinato and Paolo Andriolo in Vicenza, Italy. Its innovative InPol amplifier circuit has been around for some time – in fact, the Inseguitore Pompa Lineare circuit was patented when the company was founded – but its use has mainly been in integrated amplifiers and power amplifiers for the traditional two-channel loudspeaker world. The InPol Ear represents the first time this unique hybrid circuit crosses over into the headphone world.

The term Inseguitore Pompa Lineare translates to ‘Linear Pump Follower’, and the amplifier uses a triode valve to amplify the input signal voltage, and a discrete fully-balanced Class A solid-state follower circuit designed to deliver high current and unity voltage gain to the loudspeakers. Effectively, it means the performance of that input signal and the valve driving it entirely defines the output characteristics of the solid-state amplifier powering the loudspeakers or, in the case of the InPol Ear, headphones. In theory, this should increase the efficiency of a Class A amplifier while also delivering power with optimally low output impedance. An innovation by Pathos is the ‘double InPol’ circuit, which is pretty much self-descriptive, and balanced operation throughout is handy for both input and output for any headphone amplifier.

inpolear1.jpg

InPol Ear Headphone Amplifier
In essence, Pathos has built an amplifier designed for loudspeakers in headphone-sized form. This means the InPol Ear has some extremely impressive specifications, like the ability to deliver up to 10W into a 32Ω balanced headphone load (unbalanced at 3W in 32Ω). The volume control is a Burr-Brown PGA3210 digital volume controller, giving precision over channel accuracy and volume setting (180 half-decibel steps). The base of the front of the InPol Ear forms the basic controls, as well as a large red LED volume display, a ¼” jack and two four-pin XLRs for balanced operation.

inpolear4.jpg

There are four single-ended, and one XLR line inputs, as well as a XLR and single-ended stereo output for those wanting to use the InPol Ear as a preamplifier.

Optional HiDac EVO
The optiona HiDac Evo board is an app-controlled, wired or wireless Ethernet (WiFi USB module included) streaming device complete with regular S/PDIF and USB functions. It’s built around the popular ESS Sabre 9018K2M DAC chip, so it is capable of 32bit, 384kHz resolution in PCM, and up to DSD128 through DoP connectivity over USB. The Ethernet streaming facility is driven by the InPol Ear app for Android or iOS devices. There is no Bluetooth protocol.

inpolremix_laterale_nero.jpg

Design
Alongside clever circuitry, Pathos is known for its elegant industrial design, and the InPol Ear is no exception. The company has an innovative way of dealing with the necessity of heatsinks, by making them the company logo; the name is written along the sides of the amplifier in a stylish, almost Art Deco font. The front and top plates are finished in one of four finishes (three solid colours, one wood-related). At the top of the amplifier are two exposed EH 6922 double-triodes, recessed and shock-mounted in a trio of aluminium plates, and the large volume control is similarly recessed into the front of the InPol EAR.

inpolear3.jpg

Reviews:
Link, Link, Link, Link

MANUAL:
See this POST.

Specifications
Type: Reference stereo integrated amplifier for headphones. Pure Class A double INPOL technology

Output power (unbalanced, balanced)
32 Ω: 3 W, 10 W
50 Ω: 1.9 W, 6.4 W
120 Ω: 800 mW, 2.7 W
300 Ω: 320 mW, 1 W
600 Ω: 160 mW, 533 mW

Output impedance (unbalanced, balanced): 0.45 ohm, 0.9 ohm
Frequency response: 2 Hz – 200 kHz ± 0.5 db
Input sensitivity: 2.2 V RMS
Input impedance: 100 kOhm
Output polarity: Selectable by remote control
Volume regulator: 2 x Burr Brown PGA2310 (180 steps 0.5 dB)
THD: 0.1% @ 11 W
S/N Ratio: > 100 dB
Max input voltage: 4.4 V RMS
Max output voltage (unbalanced, balanced): 10 V RMS, 20 V RMS
Preamplifier gain: 9 db
Outputs: 1 x balanced XLR, 1 x RCA

Connections
Analog line inputs: 1 x balanced XLR, 4 x RCA
Digital inputs (optional HiDac Mk2 board required): 1 x USB B, 1 x S/PDIF coaxial, 1 x S/PDIF optical
Outputs: 1 x pre out RCA (pre-output phase can be selected), 1 x pre out balanced XLR, 1 x 6.3 mm headphone, 2 x 4 pin XLR
Power consumption: 110 W
Dimensions (WHD): 11" x 14.56" x 7"
Weight: 27.5 lb (12.5 kg)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 694
I have been looking for a true balanced headphone amp with balanced outputs for under $6k I always liked the sound of the Carvalli Audio Liquid Glass, the Wells Audio and Headamp amplifiers when I heard them at shows. The problem with Carvalli is that their gone and it did not have a pre-output, the Wells audio does not have fully balanced design or pre-outputs and Headamp amplifiers, though great for phones, clearly they do not compete with dedicated preamps. The appeal of the InPol Ear is that it appears on paper and reviews to check all the boxes. The reviews are strong and it looks fairly priced, but surprisingly, their are no comments on Headfi at all. I will likely buy one on a leap faith and it’s reviews.
Steve from the Audiophiliac did a great review link below.

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 694
This amp was on my sights for a very long time. And it ticks all the boxes that I want in a headphone amplifier. If not for a nice chap offering it at a nice price in the FS section in which he too attested its ability to make headphones sound great, I would not made the leap of faith that you're talking about.

Needs NOS tube to truly shine. The stock EH6922 is ok (but we all know there are far way better). Received with Mullard E188CCs on it. And now after 10 days my face still hurts of smiling. Have '74 and '75 Reflector 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields to try but I feel I don't need too and extremely happy for now.

Its rich and natural. I think your HPs will complement well.

Steve was extremely happy. My amp's previous owner too was happy. I am happy. I think you should too...

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 694
This amp was on my sights for a very long time. And it ticks all the boxes that I want in a headphone amplifier. If not for a nice chap offering it at a nice price in the FS section in which he too attested its ability to make headphones sound great, I would not made the leap of faith that you're talking about.

Needs NOS tube to truly shine. The stock EH6922 is ok (but we all know there are far way better). Received with Mullard E188CCs on it. And now after 10 days my face still hurts of smiling. Have '74 and '75 Reflector 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields to try but I feel I don't need too and extremely happy for now.

Its rich and natural. I think your HPs will complement well.

Steve was extremely happy. My amp's previous owner too was happy. I am happy. I think you should too...

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 694
Every week or two I do a Inpol Ear search on Headfi and somehow I missed the one you found for sale. Good for you I’m glad you found it? I’m sorry I missed it. So the fellow who owned it really really liked it, what did he replace it with? What amplifier did you have prior to this and how does it compare to the order InPol Ear?

Feb 24, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 694
Hello!

Let me give you an idea where I am coming from. I came from a music oriented family. My dad was singing in church and is part of a singing group. Since little I too was part of various singing groups till university, was a member of a local pop/rock band and plays guitar and percussions. My work lets me enjoy listening always to live orchestral and choral music. And because my work allow me to travel always, it gave me the opportunity to listen to various equipments on trade shows etc.

Since I was always on the go. I haven't got the opportunity to have a proper listening equipment at home. Had always portable setups. My first desktop dac/amp was in May, 2015 with the infamous LH Labs Geek Pulse Infinity. My current setup was a result of say frustration? Of not able to hear what I wanted to? So enter Audiobyte Hydra.Vox. Heard this DAC from a demo room fitted against a Rockna Wavedream Balanced Sig. and a Boulder DAC (don't know what model). I say I was mighty impressed that It can hold its own against others 4X (or more) its price. With the COVID and smart/home-working stuff going on, decided to finally buy a proper setup and bought the Audiobyte Hydra.Vox.

Was totally satisfied witht he DAC section but I felt the amp section was holding it's potential. It lack grit, oomph. When the opportunity came for the Inpol Ear in the FS section. Maybe out of frustration again? Bought it ASAP.

I may have had portable, mid-tier setups but that doesn't mean I don't know what I am hearing.

The wonderful chap sold his amp to me is a Grado fan. He got a bit of hiss from it. Although he has a Campfire Andromeda and was completely dead silent. He is moving to a Aries Cerat setup: Aries Cerat Genus as amp + Aries Helene as DAC.

Hope it helps.

Feb 25, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 694
I was the one who sold the Pathos recently.

I made a direct comparsion with the Pass HPA1 when I bought it, and the Pathos was simply better.

I wrote about the comparsion here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sho...ictures-please.529140/page-1736#post-15748227

I have the Tor Audio Balanced...a very good full balanced tube amp. But still not as good as the Pathos. It is a bit tubish warm, where the Pathos is more reference/neutral. And still musical.

Actually the only (headphone)amp which I think betters the Pathos is the afformentioned Aries Cerat Genus. That thing is like a nuclear power plant for my Grado’s but the sound quality (together with the Heléne DAC) is simply stunning. A whole other game. But it too has noise with a Grado, even more as the Pathos. So I don’t know...I use now the Tor and the a special version of the TMP Ant (a Hungrian hybrid amp with extern PSU > again because of the noise I had to custom make the external PSU). I do miss the sound quality of the Pathos. But I can not live with any noise and Grado is simply super sensitive.

Here is a pictures for giggles about the Aries with the HEMP.

354079D8-5FF0-47A6-A945-9972D45EC1C2.jpeg

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 694
Sorry to hear it bro! Tried an impedance adapter to your Grados?

God! That Aries Cerat Genus is a behemoth! And those tubes are Elrogs?

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 694
Story is not an it’s end. I try to make the Cerat work somehow!

Yes, they are Elrogs :)

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 694
Thank you for sharing your journey to InPol Ear. All the audio hardware is worthless if it did not serve the music, but amplifiers like Aries Cerat rise to another level. The Inpol Ear is more within my reach so I plan make this purchase next month. None of the InPol Ears reviewers mentioned any noise, so the floor must be very low. The Hydra Vox was new to me but it’s appears to be a strong performer, a great value and mates well with the Pathos. I might need to put the Vox on the audition list. I will be doing some tube rollIng and will post my InPol Ear experiences here

Feb 26, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 694
Waiting for the Hydra.Hub to complete the stack. Posting a pic to make it "official".
DSD512 are just for kicks.

DSC_4903compressed.jpg

Mar 28, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #12 of 694
I just received mine and the first impression is that it's so "small". Then when I plug my headphones in, there's a presentation to the music that makes even my Studio Six seem 2D.
Thoroughly impressed with what I hear thus far. Will run with stock tubes for the time being to better understand the technicalities of the amp before rolling NOS as Mickey mentioned.
IMG_20210328_134423.jpg

Apr 1, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #13 of 694
Hello everyone!
I just made my purchase today to mate with my Utopias/Nordost Heimdall 2 headphone cables. Delivery in a few days.

I will be using my Modwright OPPO 205 as pre-amp DAC/Streamer. I've rolled a brown base U52 and 75' reflector silver shields into it. I have spare 75's both grey and silvers ready for action with the Pathos! XLR's will be Nordost Tyr2's

Power conditioning and cables are Puritanlabs (156).

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #14 of 694
Hello everyone!
I just made my purchase today to mate with my Utopias/Nordost Heimdall 2 headphone cables. Delivery in a few days.

I will be using my Modwright OPPO 205 as pre-amp DAC/Streamer. I've rolled a brown base U52 and 75' reflector silver shields into it. I have spare 75's both grey and silvers ready for action with the Pathos! XLR's will be Nordost Tyr2's

Power conditioning and cables are Puritanlabs (156)
Nice to see another user of Puritan Labs :beerchug:

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #15 of 694
Nice to see another user of Puritan Labs :beerchug:
Cheers fellow Puritanlabs user! 🍻🍻🍻

I have a 5.1 system anchored by a BAT VK-6200. 200 watts per channel RMS x5 and there is absolutely no shrinking of soundstage, or loss of micro or macro dynamics at any time no matter the scene. Amazing power delivery and my system is dead quiet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back