Help me find the perfect sub-$150 dynamic driver IEM
Apr 27, 2024 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

ScrofulousBinturong

100+ Head-Fier
I have a bunch of DD IEMs that do almost everything right, but each has a characteristic I dislike. Can you help me find something that will resolve this predicament?

Dunu Titan S: not enough bass
Tin T4: too much treble
KZ DQ6: bass is flatulent
7Hz Salnotes Zero: veiled, not enough sparkle
Tripowin Olina: almost perfect, I guess it's not super exciting and could use a little bit more of everything
Blon BL-03: doesn't fit

Among the non-DD IEMs I've tried, I've liked the KZ BA-10, BQEYZ Spring 1, Sen-fur Deet-6, Ikko OH-10.

A perfect IEM would have the T4's detail, the Olina's sound stage and timbre, the DQ6's warmth, and the Titan's treble.

Does such a thing exist? I'm looking specifically for DD, not hybrid.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 31
Don’t think it’s quite possible. Unless it’s some multi DD driver system. In the end if it’s a single DD there’s just that much the driver can do in a small space. The latest dual DD like tangzu xuan nv?

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 31
Multiple DD is fine. I have hybrids and BA IEMs, and I try to diversify. Have you heard the Xuan NV?

I have a CCA Trio and KZ Castor on the way.

Xuan Nv is very warm and Analoguish sounding. Good timbre. Smooth and relaxing.

Though below average in technicalities eg sounstage, micro detailing and imaging.

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 31
If I use 7hz zero2 as a comparison, Xuan Nv will be clearer, cleaner, larger sound, less overall bass energy but tighter base impact, and mids have a little more energy.

For a sub 100, the technicality is above average.

Apr 27, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 31
It sounds like your after the Moon drop Kato. I have them and it's fun with enough bass, air and sparkle in the treble but never too much. Soundstage is good for an IEM, Dunu S&S tips can push it out but mid range needs a bump at 600hz 2-3db if you use them. I never needed to equalize and they're fun for music and gaming. The 7hz Salnotes Zero:2 is and improvement over the original if budget is tight. The Simgot EA500 (original) is great fun too, but can be bright. I'd recommend the Moondrop Kato to anyone.

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 31
Thanks all. I'll take more recommendations if you have them.

I A/B/C etc a few DDs today with 25 songs to try to be objective and took notes.

The DQ6 reminded me why I like it a lot for some music styles.

With the right tips, the Dunu Titan S improves significantly. It's still a little veiled and light on the bass.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 31
Maybe you can do some tip rolling instead? Get some high clarity tips like clarion maybe it will be better for Dunu and salnote zero.

Or wide bore

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 31
Fwiw, I've checked the graphs of these sets and bass levels seem to match very closely but what keeps moving is the ear gain compensation area and upper-mids and treble, in general, potentially leading to your perception of less bass in some sets. So maybe if you zero in on the upper-mids and treble alone, and try to understand what you hear when looking at the graphs, then you can find a more expensive, graphed set that could work for you.

In general, though, the DD space has relatively limited innovation potential, therefore the really good sets are expensive because one has to foot the bill, and still can't compete on tuning alone with precise multi-driver or hybrid sets with cross-overs.

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #13 of 31
Maybe you can do some tip rolling instead? Get some high clarity tips like clarion maybe it will be better for Dunu and salnote zero.

Or wide bore
I did do some tip rolling for the initial tests. I'll do some more.
Fwiw, I've checked the graphs of these sets and bass levels seem to match very closely but what keeps moving is the ear gain compensation area and upper-mids and treble, in general, potentially leading to your perception of less bass in some sets. So maybe if you zero in on the upper-mids and treble alone, and try to understand what you hear when looking at the graphs, then you can find a more expensive, graphed set that could work for you.

In general, though, the DD space has relatively limited innovation potential, therefore the really good sets are expensive because one has to foot the bill, and still can't compete on tuning alone with precise multi-driver or hybrid sets with cross-overs.
That's a good insight! I'll work on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back