Focal Elegia Measurements
Oct 10, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #76 of 121
I thought the Clear was much better for bass than the other two but I just wanted more, I sold my clear and got the aeon that I love, maybe I just like the planar sound
Probably the case, because the Aeon certainly doesn’t have more bass than the Elear (again, can’t talk for the Clear). Not much of a Mr Speakers fan myself - find them boring, Just personal preference. As long as you found what you like that’s all that matters.

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #77 of 121
Probably the case, because the Aeon certainly doesn’t have more bass than the Elear (again, can’t talk for the Clear). Not much of a Mr Speakers fan myself - find them boring, Just personal preference. As long as you found what you like that’s all that matters.
Thanks mate, promise not to mention Mrspeakers again

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #78 of 121
Always wait an extra week.

Funny thing is I actually DID wait about a week before pulling the trigger.

Without having listened to the Elegia, I dare say that you'll be MUCH better off with the Clear. 1. Open vs closed still no fair competition. Only settle for closed if you need to. 2. Elegia seems more like the closed equivalent to the Elear, given the price point. Different price and quality bracket I suppose. Curious when the closed Clear will come out...

I own the Clear and have never liked a headphone more than this one. Hope you do too!

Yeah, my new Clear has been burning for almost a week now. So far it's fantastic and I never have heard my music so CLEAR before (yes I just had to say that).

From the sound of it, looks like the closed back pairs I have now (ex. Aeon Flow) will do quite fine.

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #79 of 121
Funny thing is I actually DID wait about a week before pulling the trigger.

Yeah, my new Clear has been burning for almost a week now. So far it's fantastic and I never have heard my music so CLEAR before (yes I just had to say that).

From the sound of it, looks like the closed back pairs I have now (ex. Aeon Flow) will do quite fine.
It's certainly clear but do you feel their is something missing?full body of sound?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #80 of 121
Some quick first impressions. Unboxing was a delight. The hardshell case is worthy of a Louis Vuitton logo! The cable is too short for my purposes (under 4 feet), and very stiff. Microphonics are present, but not that bad. The cables above the split should not be fabric coated (Meze learned this and corrected it quickly).

Without going in to a lot of jargon, most of which I don't understand anyway, first couple of test drives proved very positive. My simple little XDUOO X3 powered them very well, un-amped, headphone out, and Prokofiev sounded very nice. Second test, headphone out of my FiiO X5-iii, with Thick as a Brick (had to do it, seeing Martin Barre tonite and tomorrow!!!). No surprise, comfortable listening about 40% volume. Finally (for today), line out in to a Schiit Loki > Woo Audio WA7, again with TaaB. No complaints here. Aside from the cable, which I will replace, I'm so far happy with this purchase.

IMG_2211.JPG IMG_2212.JPG IMG_2213.JPG

IMG_2214.JPG IMG_2215.JPG IMG_2216.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #81 of 121
Some quick first impressions. Unboxing was a delight. The hardshell case is worthy of a Louis Vuitton logo! The cable is too short for my purposes (under 4 feet), and very stiff. Microphonics are present, but not that bad. The cables above the split should not be fabric coated (Meze learned this and corrected it quickly).

Without going in to a lot of jargon, most of which I don't understand anyway, first couple of test drives proved very positive. My simple little XDUOO X3 powered them very well, un-amped, headphone out, and Prokofiev sounded very nice. Second test, headphone out of my FiiO X5-iii, with Thick as a Brick (had to do it, seeing Martin Barre tonite and tomorrow!!!). No surprise, comfortable listening about 40% volume. Finally (for today), line out in to a Schiit Loki > Woo Audio WA7, again with TaaB. No complaints here. Aside from the cable, which I will replace, I'm so far happy with this purchase.

Well, the initial unboxing ceremony was quite satisfying. A quick
It looks gorgeous mate, focal are my favourite hi-fi company for speakers

Oct 12, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #82 of 121
Sorry for the messy post. Not sure why some of the pics appeared twice. I fixed it the best I could.

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #84 of 121
I bet your buzzing.You listened to them or burning them in ?I love sniffing that new smell, It's as exciting as listening to them
Well, both. Listening and burning at the same time.

Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia on right now.

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #86 of 121
That guitar playing bet your in heaven mate
As close as I'll get while I still maintain this mortal coil! Can't wait to hear his new album!!!!

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #87 of 121
No, you just prefer a "bass heavy" headphone. Nothing wrong with it, I do as well. But that doesn't make Focal headphones bass light, nor does your preference supersede technical measurements.

Failing to understand what you see on a graph doesn't invalidate it.
Beats by Dre and Boses are excellent here :D. It also won’t burn a hole

Oct 12, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #88 of 121
Beats by Dre and Boses are excellent here :D. It also won’t burn a hole

LOL - Why didn't you tell me that before I spent all that money with Audeze!

Keeping somewhat on topic, I do love my Focal speakers, though the addition of a couple of JL Audio subs helps in the bass dept. Going to have to give the Elegia a listen once my local shop gets them in.

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #89 of 121
LOL - Why didn't you tell me that before I spent all that money with Audeze!

Keeping somewhat on topic, I do love my Focal speakers, though the addition of a couple of JL Audio subs helps in the bass dept. Going to have to give the Elegia a listen once my local shop gets them in.
What's a "local shop"? :)

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #90 of 121
Seeing how MrSpkrs likes to pair their open-back headphone models with closed-back versions, it's worth considering if and where time-wise the "Ether 2 C" would be on their roadmap...

UPDATE
Here's the exact quote from Dan. It was in a tweet on October 3:
https://twitter.com/mrspeakers/status/1047497707579817989

--------------------
I had the same thought, but then I saw a comment from Dan Clark (I think it was in the Ether CX Massdrop thread), where he said something to the effect: "The Ether C Flow 1.1 will be our top closed-back for a while." [paraphrased]

Question is, how long is a while? My guess is at least a year, probably two.

While I still love my Alpha Primes, after hearing the Ether CX Massdrop and Ether C Flow 1.1 at RMAF last weekend, they were both significantly better than my Primes (I brought them to compare). But a headphone upgrade will have to wait as I'm currently building a two-channel system.
:relaxed:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back