Focal Elegia Measurements
Oct 9, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #61 of 121
You do realize you posted that in a thread titled "Focal Elegia Measurements"...

But if you choose to go with the audiophile canard of "trust your ears, not measurements" despite decades of peer reviewed evidence as to why that's a mistake, go for it.
How is it a mistake to trust your ears and your brain over a graph?

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #62 of 121
How is it a mistake to trust your ears and your brain over a graph?

There is an entire slice of science devoted to Psychoacoustics and another slice of science that deals with human biases including expectation bias and placebo effect.

I'm not suggesting that you don't purchase based on what you perceive you like, but the advantage of measurements is that they aren't burdened by the same biases that all of us humans have.

If you're interested in learning more, this book is an excellent place to start. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0240520092/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #63 of 121
There is an entire slice of science devoted to Psychoacoustics and another slice of science that deals with human biases including expectation bias and placebo effect.

I'm not suggesting that you don't purchase based on what you perceive you like, but the advantage of measurements is that they aren't burdened by the same biases that all of us humans have.

If you're interested in learning more, this book is an excellent place to start. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0240520092/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I've deleted my original text, I'll be open minded and thank you

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #66 of 121
Okay, I took the plunge and pre-ordered a pair. I'll post some thoughts when they arrive.

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #69 of 121
All focal headphones are bass light,

No way I would call my Focal Classics bass light. The spirit classic, one of the last reasonably priced excellent sounding Focal headphones before they started to increase their prices exponentially.

On another note have Focal ever posted anything here on Head.Fi. Is there a focal rep on these boards. I don't think there is.

I will have to audition these at some point and hope massdrop bring out a version that is under 1k aud.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #70 of 121
No way I would call my Focal Classics bass light. The spirit classic, one of the last reasonably priced excellent sounding Focal headphones before they started to increase their prices exponentially.

On another note have Focal ever posted anything here on Head.Fi. Is there a focal rep on these boards. I don't think there is.

I will have to audition these at some point and hope massdrop bring out a version that is under 1k aud.

Marine from Focal posts using the account FocalOfficial

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #72 of 121
All focal headphones are bass light
Thats quite a statement coming from someone who owns a Clear. Have you heard the Elear? There’s nothing ‘light’ about the Elear, especially the bass, unless you’re driving it wrong. Can’t say for the Clear as I haven’t heard it but every single impression I’ve read suggests the Clear is ‘lighter’ on bass than the Elear - which is not to say it’s bass light.

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #73 of 121

Yes your right mate I'm sorry, I had the focal pro the 200 quid ones and they had great bass

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #74 of 121
Thats quite a statement coming from someone who owns a Clear. Have you heard the Elear? There’s nothing ‘light’ about the Elear, especially the bass, unless you’re driving it wrong. Can’t say for the Clear as I haven’t heard it but every single impression I’ve read suggests the Clear is ‘lighter’ on bass than the Elear - which is not to say it’s bass light.
I thought the Clear was much better for bass than the other two but I just wanted more, I sold my clear and got the aeon that I love, maybe I just like the planar sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back