Egmont Signature or KGSS for my O2s?
Jan 7, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #46 of 70
I started with the SRM 717 for my Omegas. I then considered the KGSS or the Egmont Signature. In the end I went with the Egmont. Several factors influenced the final choice: I had already bought an Rudistor amp and found them a pleasure to deal with and whilst the KGSS was cheaper, ordering from the USA had its drawbacks. I have not regretted my choice - to my ears the Omegas sound excellent through the Egmont.

Jan 7, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #47 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1690doc
I started with the SRM 717 for my Omegas. I then considered the KGSS or the Egmont Signature. In the end I went with the Egmont. Several factors influenced the final choice: I had already bought an Rudistor amp and found them a pleasure to deal with and whilst the KGSS was cheaper, ordering from the USA had its drawbacks. I have not regretted my choice - to my ears the Omegas sound excellent through the Egmont.

Thanks for your feedback. Can you PM me with where in Herts you are. We may be close and I have been discussing the possibility of a mini-meet with StevieDVD. I think Nomad and some others may be interested if we can organise it, as I am trying to organise a date with Nomad to hear his KGSS DX.

Simon

Jan 7, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #48 of 70
See...in the US you would "organize" a mini-meet. That's the reason for the VAT (which I pay in my wife's country- {Trinidad which used to be British rule})
icon10.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #49 of 70
Ah yes, but you guys would think the tube sound is colored, whereas we think it is coloured
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #50 of 70
I had no idea there was an Egmont in UK. So we might be able to compare one day the HEV90, HE70, Egmont, KGSS DX and Stax amps if people are up to it. That would be interesting indeed.

Jan 7, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #51 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by sclamb
Ah yes, but you guys would think the tube sound is colored, whereas we think it is coloured
biggrin.gif

I thought the "tube" was your subway which would have a high noise floor.

If you have a mini-meet would you have to change your tyres, at the petro station.

Jan 7, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #52 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
If you have a mini-meet would you have to change your tyres, at the petro station.

He he! If you think that's funny, have him pronounce "aluminum" for you!

Al Lou Mini Yum

Jan 7, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #53 of 70
What about gah-raj (garage) or calling a rooster a ****! "I'm going to strangle that **** for waking me up"
confused.gif

I should talk...I was born in Brooklyn!

"I wuz tawkin' to da boyz on turdy turd an' turd, and we jes' said fuhgettaboutit!"

Jan 7, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #54 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
What about gah-raj (garage) or calling a rooster a ****! "I'm going to strangle that **** for waking me up"
confused.gif

The Caribbean expression I like is: "Didn't you see me yesterday? I was blowing you!" (Meaning that she honked her horn when she saw me walking down the street. I think I would have remembered if it were otherwise!)

Jan 7, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #55 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by sclamb
biggrin.gif

Must be an immigrant, or he would know it's "valve" sound.
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #56 of 70
Yeah but we got lovespuds and meatsticks
rs1smile.gif

Hirsch>I wanted to ask you something if you use the normal plug to drive the he90's and crank the volume twice for what is used with the pro input is there any long term effects?

Jan 8, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #57 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
He he! If you think that's funny, have him pronounce "aluminum" for you!

Al Lou Mini Yum

Now see here!!!

I quote:

Etymology / Nomenclature history

In 1808, Humphry Davy originally proposed the name alumium while trying to isolate the new metal electrolytically from the mineral alumina. In 1812 he changed the name to aluminum to match its Latin root. The same year, an anonymous contributor to the Quarterly Review objected to aluminum, and proposed the name aluminium.

Aluminium, for so we shall take the liberty of writing the word, in preference to aluminum, which has a less classical sound. (Q. Review VIII. 72, 1812)

This had the advantage of conforming to the -ium suffix precedent set by other newly discovered elements of the period: potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium, and strontium (all of which Davy had isolated himself). Nevertheless, -um spellings for elements were not unknown at the time: platinum, which had been known to Europeans since the 16th century, molybdenum, which was discovered in 1778, and tantalum, which was discovered in 1802, all have spellings ending in -um.

Curiously, the United States adopted the -ium for most of the 19th century with aluminium appearing in Webster's Dictionary of 1828. However in 1892 Charles Martin Hall used the -um spelling in an advertising handbill for his new efficient electrolytic method for the production of aluminium, despite using the -ium spelling in all of his patents filed between 1886 and 1903. It has consequently been suggested that the spelling on the flyer was a simple spelling mistake rather a deliberate choice to use the -um spelling. Hall's domination of production of the metal ensured that the spelling aluminum became the standard in North America, even though the Webster Unabridged Dictionary of 1913 continued to use the -ium version.

So, you call it al-u-min-um because one of your ancestors couldn't spell correctly
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Simon

Jan 8, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #58 of 70
I remember the first time I visited the US and I saw a morning fitness programme with this lady declaring that she was now going to work on her fanny.

Well, in the UK I would definitely have stayed in to watch, albeit I am sure such a programme would have been on after midnight. As it was, I watched the lady sit on her bottom and try walking across the floor on her butt cheeks.

What a disappointment
rolleyes.gif

Simon

Jan 8, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #59 of 70
Here we have a well executed argument, along with an esteemed and highly regarded, researched explaination of why something is called one thing by one region of the world and another thing by another region. Well Done!

However it is difficult for me to truly digest the amount of work put into it because all I keep seeing in the next post is the word "programme".
evil_smiley.gif

BTW- Please PM me with the British use of the word "fanny" because even though I can take an educated guess as to the slang meaning, I can't help thinking that it might be on the lines of the Caribbean expression "nanny".

As in a mom saying: "daughter, don't forget to brush your teeth and wash your nanny".
icon10.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #60 of 70
Nice research, schlamb! Of course, correct as your pronunciation may be, it still sounds silly to me when I hear Al Lou Mini Yum.

BTW, one thing that you folks definitely have right is the date convention: Day-Month-Year rather than Month-Day-Year. It never made any sense to me while living in the US. In Cayman, today is 8-1-06 as it should be, and no, it's not August 1st here! It's much too cool today for that to be the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back