CanJam New York 2024 Impressions Thread (March 9-10, 2024)
Mar 11, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #316 of 707
Reminds me of one my kids favorite shows with the librarian who will shush you:

Call me a grumpy old man, but am I the only one who thinks it would be cool if CanJam encouraged (and publicized) a "hushed tones" policy for show-goers and exhibitors talking at these events. It would be like a public library (in the olden days) and make demoing gear much more enjoyable and informative. Now GET OFF MY LAWN!

Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 5.17.46 PM.png

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #317 of 707
Call me a grumpy old man, but am I the only one who thinks it would be cool if CanJam encouraged (and publicized) a "hushed tones" policy for show-goers and exhibitors talking at these events. It would be like a public library (in the olden days) and make demoing gear much more enjoyable and informative. Now GET OFF MY LAWN!

I agree. My first CanJam and I was surprised by how loud and rowdy it was in the main room. Even the side rooms were noisy. Made auditioning headphones near impossible and pointless for me.

Interacting with other audiophiles is arguably the most important aspect of CanJams, but some people are just way too loud. And the louder it gets, the louder people feel they need to speak, which compounds to the problem. Saturday afternoon was just unbearable. I hope CJ goers can be more respectful in the future so that headphones, particularly open backs, could be more properly auditioned.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #318 of 707

150% agree! I kept saying, "we need a grumpy librarian here."

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #319 of 707
I agree. My first CanJam and I was surprised by how loud and rowdy it was in the main room. Even the side rooms were noisy. Made auditioning headphones near impossible and pointless for me.

Interacting with other audiophiles is arguably the most important aspect of CanJams, but some people are just way too loud. And the louder it gets, the louder people feel they need to speak, which compounds to the problem. Saturday afternoon was just unbearable. I hope CJ goers can be more respectful in the future so that headphones, particularly open backs, could be more properly auditioned.
This has always puzzled me about the shows. When I read reports I often see comments like “could not properly evaluate under show conditions”.. Then I wonder, what is the purpose of the show lol… But I guess it is about social interaction as well. I really enjoyed my first and only (so far) CANJAM in New York 2020. But it is something for the CJ folks to think about, quiet rooms for open backs, for example. Should be possible to organize.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #321 of 707
Any idea how in the world Lee is going to come close to the demand for a $400 set that sounds that good?
My guess: he hands off exact specs to another producer that can scale up. Their job is to meet demand and adhere to quality requirements.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #323 of 707

Was that before or after alcohol?

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #324 of 707
Was that before or after alcohol?
Huh?

CanJam is in the day/afternoon. I doubt many (or any at all) attendees were drunk.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #325 of 707
This has always puzzled me about the shows. When I read reports I often see comments like “could not properly evaluate under show conditions”.. Then I wonder, what is the purpose of the show lol… But I guess it is about social interaction as well. I really enjoyed my first and only (so far) CANJAM in New York 2020. But it is something for the CJ folks to think about, quiet rooms for open backs, for example. Should be possible to organize.
Love that idea of quiet room for open-backs (since that is all I listen to). Perhaps the noisy room is OK to test how well a closed-back isolates :L3000:

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #326 of 707
Compared to the 2023 CanJam: I noticed they removed the sitting area that was in the main exhibit hall to allow more exhibitors this year. I think this cut down some noise as it seemed that lounge area was very loud last year. Still noisy on Saturday but overall seemed a bit more relaxed this time. Sunday is a much better day for listening. I was overwhelmed last year and could only go on Sat. It would be nice if the vendors also reserved a meeting room on the 4th or 5th floor for listening only but I imagine the rental rates are crazy expensive.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #327 of 707

Sorta, but at the same time talking with brand reps and like-minded enthusiasts is half the fun. I wouldn't mind if they did the show in rooms, Axpona/Munich style, though I suppose in NYC that would be impossible. Here's hoping someone (or maybe EVERYONE?) brings one of those nifty listening booths next year.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #328 of 707
Huh?

CanJam is in the day/afternoon. I doubt many (or any at all) attendees were drunk.
I was joking. Though it would be interesting if there was booze.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #329 of 707

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back