CanJam New York 2024 Impressions Thread (March 9-10, 2024)
Mar 11, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #286 of 707
This was my first CanJam, as I mentioned in the lead-up thread. I had always wanted to attend, but something always prevented me from doing so. Even this time, I could only manage to go on Saturday. Luckily, I managed to listen to almost everything on my list that I had prepared the night before the show, except for one major item.

I have been involved in the hobby for a long time, and the DC area usually hosts one to three Head-Fi meets every year. Thanks to local members and Linear Tube Audio, who are based in Takoma Park, Maryland, I have had the chance to try out a variety of high-end headphones. However, my main interest is in in-ear monitors, and those have been much harder to audition. This CanJam was the first time I could try out just about any flagship IEM I wanted, and I did not waste the opportunity:

Moondrop Dark Saber

_DSC1972-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

The Dark Saber is supposed to be the successor to the Moondrop S8, my favorite IEM to date. I have been curious about the Dark Saber ever since I became aware of its existence. However, it was not as impressive as I hoped. The vocals on the Dark Saber are more forward than on the S8, and the upper treble extension seems worse. The lower treble sounds a bit more refined, but it lacks the sparkle that makes the S8’s treble so special. The bass did not seem much better than the S8 either, despite having dynamic drivers. The bass is slightly more present and less soft-sounding, but it is not a huge improvement. The earpieces are slightly bigger than the S8’s, but they are still fairly comfortable. Overall, I think this is at best a sidegrade, and the S8 is still probably the best IEM Moondrop has ever made.

Thieaudio Monarch Mk III

_DSC1975-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

This was probably the best value-for-money IEM of the show and the only one that I felt surpassed the Moondrop S8 in performance while keeping a similar tonality. The Monarch Mk III has an excellent tuning, especially in the treble region, which is more refined and balanced than the S8 without compromising on detail. Even in the noisy show environment, I could hear microdetail and microdynamics, which might have been partly due to the great isolation of the Monarch Mk III. The fit was also comfortable despite the large size of the shells. The most impressive aspect for me was the bass performance, which delivered amazing impact and clarity on the drums of “Valhall Awaits Me” by Amon Amarth.

Nightjar Singularity

_DSC1981-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

This was a pleasant surprise. The Singularity has great bass extension and presence, even though the bass and midrange are not as detailed as some of the other flagship IEMs I tried at the show. The Singularity has very good instrument separation for a single dynamic driver design, but it does not isolate very well. I would have listened longer, but we had to hurry to attend a seminar at that point.

Subtonic Storm

_DSC1986-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

The Storm is the most open-sounding IEM I have ever heard, to the point it almost sounded like I was listening to open-back headphones. Male vocals were a little too forward for my tastes, but male vocal intelligibility was superb. As one might expect, the treble is insanely detailed with terrific instrument separation, the midrange was the clearest I’ve ever heard, and the bass was hyper-impactful with astonishing microdynamics. However, the large housings did not fit me very well, which was disappointing.

Dunu Glacier

_DSC2011-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

Another IEM I’d been eyeing as an upgrade from the Moondrop S8, the Dunu Glacier had the best bass I’d heard so far at the show, with crazy dynamics and impact. However, I would prefer slightly less bass, and the overall tuning is more V-shaped than I expected from measurements I’d seen. There is a lot of lower treble, and I can see how it would be too much for many people. It did have very good imaging and instrument separation, but ultimately, I want an IEM with more of a reference tuning for critical listening.

Dunu Mirai

_DSC2020-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

The Dunu Mirai’s midrange sounds subtly different than most other IEMs I’ve listened to and in particular presents the separation between percussion in vocals in a unique way. Drums sound particuarly crisp and well-defined, and there is excellent macrodynamic contrast. However, the broad lower treble elevation really just doesn’t work for me.

Symphonium Audio Crimson and Meteor

_DSC2024-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

As a huge fan of the Symphonium Helios, I was disappointed by the Crimson. Beyond seeming almost overdampened, it was not particularly memorable. The Meteor was much better to my ears, with more contast and detail and much better bass. However, I still did not find it to be competitive with the various kilobuck IEMs I’ve heard. In terms of tuning, I found it to be a little too bassy with a smidge too much lower treble for hard rock and heavy metal.

Elysian Audio Annihilator

_DSC2026-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

The most striking feature of the Annihilator is its super extended electrostatic upper treble. It sounds like the Hiby Zeta with the upper treble cranked up to 11. I enjoy a lot of treble, but this was too much for me even after getting used to it. The Annihilator has a more normal bass response than the Zeta, but it still delivers excellent bass extension and body. Vocal intelligiblity was right up there with the Storm, which was very apparent with harsh vocals.

Elysian Audio Diva

_DSC2034-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

I didn’t listen to this one very long. While the bass is slightly better than that of the Moondrop S8, vocals are much too forward. Furthermore, I didn’t perceive it to be better than the S8 in terms of overall clarity or detail retrieval.

Unique Melody MEST Mk II

_DSC2038-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

I originally set out to audition the MEST Mk III, but the show unit was pretty crusted over with earwax by the time I got to it. I showed this to one of the UM staff, who accidentally dislodged the nozzle filter on the Mk III as he tried to clean the earwax. I was glad I didn’t attempt to do it myself. The Mk II was the first IEM of the show that exhibted driver flex, which is never pleasant. As far as sound, the Mk II was a brighter sounding IEM than I expected, with an extended treble response that does not come across as overemphasized. It has good instrument separation and lower midrange body, but drums felt like they were lacking a little in impact.

FatFreq Maestro Mini

I expected this to sound bassier than it actually ended up being. While detail retrieval is mostly adequate for its price point, there is too much lower treble and limited upper treble extension. Vocals also sounded a little thin. Notably, the housings are quite small.

FatFreq Scarlet Mini

_DSC2044-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

This still somehow sounded less bassy than I would have expected. I suppose this shows the merits of a subbass-only bass elevation in a way. However, the midrange clarity was not great, and neither was detail retrieval given the price. It has a more balanced treble response than the Maestro Mini, but upper treble extension was still lacking. Like the Maestro Mini, the housings are very compact.

FatFreq Maestro SE

_DSC2048-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

This has much better treble extension and detail retrieval than the previous two IEMs, but still seems a tad overpriced. With that said, this was by far my favorite of the FatFreq lineup, with super crisp percussion and the most conventional sounding midrange.

FatFreq Maestro

This was a pretty huge step down from the Maestro SE, with much worse treble extension, detail retrieval, and clarity. There also seeems to be a lot less bass impact. Extremely overpriced.

Letshuoer Cadenza 12

_DSC2051-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

This is a solid, inoffensive all-rounder with a pleasant, safe treble response and great isolation. It doesn’t sound quite as resolving as some of the other IEMs in this price bracket, particularly in the bass response, but it has great bass impact and a very open soundstage.

In addition to auditioning IEMs, CanJam was a great chance for me to meet some of the fellow reviewers and industry people who I had only interacted with online before. I had a nice conversation with @Precogvision while we waited for our turn to try Subtonic Storm and the Elysian Audio Annihilator. I also bumped into @MRSallee and some of the members of the Headphones.com team. Maybe next year I will be brave enough to talk to @crinacle.

The trip back to DC was not so smooth, as we had to drive through a heavy rainstorm for most of the way on the New Jersey Turnpike. Luckily, we arrived home safely. Overall, CanJam NYC 2024 was an amazing experience and I’m looking forward to next year.
Great impressions! I’ve heard a lot of these as well and I think you’re spot on. Thanks for sharing these.

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #287 of 707
Just a quick brain dump after attending my first ever CanJam this weekend:

First of all, I'm kicking myself for not attending these sooner, there is no better way to see/touch/listen to almost everything ChiFi/MidFi/HighFi/SummitFi under the sun. Over 80+ different vendors lugging in giant crates of gear. Simply an audiophile's playground.

1. DCA E3 - This was the first headphone I put on to start the day and it really blew me away. Quite possibly the best closed back i've heard all weekend. Sounds better to me than both the Stealth and Expanse.
2. Abyss Diana MR? - I thought these were just OK, first time trying headphones from Abyss and just didn't get that 'wow' factor. Also, it wasn't that comfortable on my head either. (Not sure if there is some special adjustment that can be made but it just felt very loose)
3. ZMF Bokeh (Open and Closed) - Zach has done it again. The Bokeh Open was a great listen(definitely baby Atrium vibes). Definitely preferred it to bokeh closed (on same source/songs). Unfortunately, Zach wouldn't take my money :sob:. ETA -sometime this Summer
4. Meze 109 Pro - I know I'm late to the party on this one, but I was thoroughly impressed with the sound coming out of these cans. Great clarity across the frequency spectrum but not harsh or sibilant. Definitely on my short list to pick-up in the near future.
5. Meze empyrean II - Did not see the hype of this headphone, nothing really stood out or wow'd me. yes, of course it has great sonic capabilities but everything just sounded 'safe'.
6. Campfire Audio Fathom - This one really blew my mind as it was the first IEM I tried on at the show, they really hit it out of the park with this one. Great timbre and tonality throughout the frequency range with damn good bass coming from the six BAs. I was definitely rocking out to these Fathoms. The Campfire guy let me try out some of the higher end stuff too (Trifecta?) but preferred the Fathom much more.
7. HIFIMAN (Dr. Fang in the house!) - Got to try out their new Dac/Amp combos and was really impressed by the EF600(R2R with dual Hymalaya Pro DAC outputting 10W). Smooth but detailed. Handled He1000 and Arya's with ease.
8. Sennheiser HD600/650/660s2 - Did a three way battle at the Sennheiser booth and really really loved the 660s2. Definitely on the short list to upgrade my 6xx. The dac/amp they used also sounded pretty good (HDV 820).

EDIT: Forgot to add 2 other IEMs that really impressed me
DUNU SA6 MK1 - For the price point these sounded magical, definitely preferred the Mk1 over Mk2. Preferred over the more expensive Glacier that they were demoing.
64 Audio U4s - Probably my favorite IEM that I listened to at the show. Classic 64audio sound at a great price point.A/B'd against the Volur and while Volur did have better technicalities I don't think it's 1500 dollars better.

Once again, I can't emphasize enough how important it is to put your own ears to the music when considering big or small HiFi purchases. $30 is a small price to pay for what may save you thousands in the future.
Your headphone impressions are very close to what I experienced.
The DCA E3 is definitely a nicer refined closed-back than their earlier releases. I got a quick listen at the Mimic Audio table.
I would get the E3, Meze 109 Pro and 660S2 if I did not already own similar HPs. Did you try the Liric II?
Whoops, I forgot to circle back to HiFiMan. I wanted to compare EF 499/500 and 600.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #288 of 707
CanJam NYC IEM Impressions (Part I):

Had a great experience attending my first CanJam over the weekend trying out new gear and meeting a bunch of cool people!

Here are some IEM impressions from the weekend. I demoed all iems using iBasso 320MAX Ti and Azla Sedna Short tips.

The showfloor is quite loud so its difficult to ascertain the finer nuances of an iem. I tried my best to understand the general presentation and problem areas of each set.

Noble Onyx ($3200 USD)

Onyx was an enjoyable, easy listen.

Nice sub-bass/mid-bass quantity. Mid-bass is a bit soft sounding, lacking impact and maybe a little pillowy. I thought the dynamics could have been better and the staging was unremarkable. Decent resolution.

Nice voicing, no shout. No upper-mids to lower-treble sharpness. Overall very well-tuned.

I didn't know the price going in and I thought it was a 1k to 2k USD set max. Very enjoyable listen though and I like the shell design.

A&K x EE Novus ($5000 USD)

I was keen to demo Novus because I thought Odin and Raven did a lot of things well.

Immediately, I thought Novus could use more sub-bass quantity. Mid-bass had a good initial edge and then quickly loses body.

Vocal timbre sounded a little off, possibly tinny. Transient attack was well-defined but sounded slightly artificial and/or forced. There was also a touch of upper-mid to lower-treble sharpness.

Overall, I don't think Novus did anything particularly well. Perhaps it's an issue of synergy with the 320MAX Ti.

I'd be happy to give it a re-demo at some point but I left largely unconvinced.

Rhapsodio Supreme V3 ($6400 USD)

Eye-watering price aside, I thought the Sup V3 was a decent set.

I would have liked a little more sub-bass and mid-bass quantity, but the bass quality was fine.

Great resolution, imaging, and transient attack. I thought the timbre leaned a little cold but not overly so.

There was a hint of sharpness in the upper-mids to lower treble but the treble was otherwise enjoyable.

Overall a good set. Could have used a little more bass quantity to add to its engagement factor.

Campfire Audio Trifecta ($3300 USD)

Stopped by the Effect Audio booth to meet @Delitia where he let me try his Trifecta I think on a EA Cleopatra(?) cable. I also demoed Trifecta a second time with a group of friends, using Nightjar's Sovereign Symphony 8W cable for kicks.

On the EA cable:

I found Trifecta to have good sub-bass quantity and quality, but the bass wasn't super clean on faster tracks.

The vocal timbre was pleasant and the dynamics were pretty good. There was a touch of sharpness in the upper-mids to lower-treble but not overly so.

The major issue with Trifecta was a center image wonkiness/skew that threw off the entire presentation. It's very strange, or unique sounding, depending on which side of the Trifecta camp you're in.

On the Sovereign Symphony 8W (a roughly $15k cable that can double as a weapon):

Trifecta cleaned up considerably on the SS 8W cable.

Gone was the center image skew, and the bass sounded tighter as well. A more "normal" presentation if you will.

If this was how the Trifecta sounded stock, I think it would be a lot less polarizing. Then again, maybe Trifecta fans would find it less charming.

Nostalgia Audio Tesseract ($3700 USD)

Delitia was also gracious enough to let me try his Tesseract which wasn't at the show otherwise.

I found it to be a very balanced, enjoyable set overall.

The bass had a sub-bass focus, and overall bass levels weren't super elevated, but rather well-balanced with the rest of the frequency spectrum.

Vocals had a nice tone, and the treble sounded very linear without any problem spots. Resolution, dynamics, and transient attack were all decent.

A very pleasant set overall. Big thanks to Delitia for his generosity and company!

NYC CJ IEM impressions parts 2 and 3 to come later this week including the following sets:

- Subtonic Storm + SS 8W + MK 465
- Nightjar Duality
- Elysian Pilgrim
- Trailli Ti
- RN6
- 622B
- VE X
- PMG Audio Apx
- Dunu x Precogvision Mirai
- Ice Labs Prismatica + Prismatica Gold
- Fatfreq Grand Maestro

And some prototypes:

- Symphonium Titan Prototype
- Letshuoer Prototype
- Eletech Prototype
- MusicTeck's Prototype IEM
- Soranik xMEMS Protoype

Nice photos! What camera did you use for them?

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #289 of 707
It sounds like
Did anyone listen to the Feliks Envy 25th anniversary amp on special for $17,500? Is it really twice as good as the Envy Performance with upgraded ELROG 300B-Mo?
I’m sure the amp upgrades are super impressive, but yeah just going up to those Elrogs I’m sure does a lot too. I’m using regular Elrog 300b in my Cayin HA-300 mk ii and it is pretty godly. Between that and the ZMF Aegis I have a lot of envy for you east coasters who got to test those out.

I haven’t seen a ton of comparisons of Bokeh open and closed yet. I love the Bokeh Closed and I’m betting that driver is great in an open back too.

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #290 of 707
It sounds like

I’m sure the amp upgrades are super impressive, but yeah just going up to those Elrogs I’m sure does a lot too. I’m using regular Elrog 300b in my Cayin HA-300 mk ii and it is pretty godly. Between that and the ZMF Aegis I have a lot of envy for you east coasters who got to test those out.

I haven’t seen a ton of comparisons of Bokeh open and closed yet. I love the Bokeh Closed and I’m betting that driver is great in an open back too.
The best 3 tube amps I heard at CanJam was the Feliks Envy 25th anniversary edition, the Viva Egostia 845 and the Aegis. Spoiler alert there's only 1 on that list of 3 I could afford 🤣.

Jokes aside the Feliks did sound really darn amazing. Sorry that I do not have the vocabulary to even explain how it sounds. But definitely the best amp I heard at CanJam. Heard it with the Susvara and Heddphone 2 and they both sounded just sublime on it. I've never heard the regular Envy, so not able to draw comparisons between them.

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #291 of 707
Nice photos! What camera did you use for them?
Thanks! I used a Ricoh GRIII.

The small form factor was perfect for CJ but its performance in low light settings wasn’t ideal for the show floor. I had a few shots I had to throw out because they came out blurry despite my best efforts. Good camera tho!

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #292 of 707
This was my first CanJam, as I mentioned in the lead-up thread. I had always wanted to attend, but something always prevented me from doing so. Even this time, I could only manage to go on Saturday. Luckily, I managed to listen to almost everything on my list that I had prepared the night before the show, except for one major item.

I have been involved in the hobby for a long time, and the DC area usually hosts one to three Head-Fi meets every year. Thanks to local members and Linear Tube Audio, who are based in Takoma Park, Maryland, I have had the chance to try out a variety of high-end headphones. However, my main interest is in in-ear monitors, and those have been much harder to audition. This CanJam was the first time I could try out just about any flagship IEM I wanted, and I did not waste the opportunity:

Moondrop Dark Saber

_DSC1972-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

The Dark Saber is supposed to be the successor to the Moondrop S8, my favorite IEM to date. I have been curious about the Dark Saber ever since I became aware of its existence. However, it was not as impressive as I hoped. The vocals on the Dark Saber are more forward than on the S8, and the upper treble extension seems worse. The lower treble sounds a bit more refined, but it lacks the sparkle that makes the S8’s treble so special. The bass did not seem much better than the S8 either, despite having dynamic drivers. The bass is slightly more present and less soft-sounding, but it is not a huge improvement. The earpieces are slightly bigger than the S8’s, but they are still fairly comfortable. Overall, I think this is at best a sidegrade, and the S8 is still probably the best IEM Moondrop has ever made.

Thieaudio Monarch Mk III

_DSC1975-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

This was probably the best value-for-money IEM of the show and the only one that I felt surpassed the Moondrop S8 in performance while keeping a similar tonality. The Monarch Mk III has an excellent tuning, especially in the treble region, which is more refined and balanced than the S8 without compromising on detail. Even in the noisy show environment, I could hear microdetail and microdynamics, which might have been partly due to the great isolation of the Monarch Mk III. The fit was also comfortable despite the large size of the shells. The most impressive aspect for me was the bass performance, which delivered amazing impact and clarity on the drums of “Valhall Awaits Me” by Amon Amarth.

Nightjar Singularity

_DSC1981-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

This was a pleasant surprise. The Singularity has great bass extension and presence, even though the bass and midrange are not as detailed as some of the other flagship IEMs I tried at the show. The Singularity has very good instrument separation for a single dynamic driver design, but it does not isolate very well. I would have listened longer, but we had to hurry to attend a seminar at that point.

Subtonic Storm

_DSC1986-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

The Storm is the most open-sounding IEM I have ever heard, to the point it almost sounded like I was listening to open-back headphones. Male vocals were a little too forward for my tastes, but male vocal intelligibility was superb. As one might expect, the treble is insanely detailed with terrific instrument separation, the midrange was the clearest I’ve ever heard, and the bass was hyper-impactful with astonishing microdynamics. However, the large housings did not fit me very well, which was disappointing.

Dunu Glacier

_DSC2011-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

Another IEM I’d been eyeing as an upgrade from the Moondrop S8, the Dunu Glacier had the best bass I’d heard so far at the show, with crazy dynamics and impact. However, I would prefer slightly less bass, and the overall tuning is more V-shaped than I expected from measurements I’d seen. There is a lot of lower treble, and I can see how it would be too much for many people. It did have very good imaging and instrument separation, but ultimately, I want an IEM with more of a reference tuning for critical listening.

Dunu Mirai

_DSC2020-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

The Dunu Mirai’s midrange sounds subtly different than most other IEMs I’ve listened to and in particular presents the separation between percussion in vocals in a unique way. Drums sound particuarly crisp and well-defined, and there is excellent macrodynamic contrast. However, the broad lower treble elevation really just doesn’t work for me.

Symphonium Audio Crimson and Meteor

_DSC2024-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

As a huge fan of the Symphonium Helios, I was disappointed by the Crimson. Beyond seeming almost overdampened, it was not particularly memorable. The Meteor was much better to my ears, with more contast and detail and much better bass. However, I still did not find it to be competitive with the various kilobuck IEMs I’ve heard. In terms of tuning, I found it to be a little too bassy with a smidge too much lower treble for hard rock and heavy metal.

Elysian Audio Annihilator

_DSC2026-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

The most striking feature of the Annihilator is its super extended electrostatic upper treble. It sounds like the Hiby Zeta with the upper treble cranked up to 11. I enjoy a lot of treble, but this was too much for me even after getting used to it. The Annihilator has a more normal bass response than the Zeta, but it still delivers excellent bass extension and body. Vocal intelligiblity was right up there with the Storm, which was very apparent with harsh vocals.

Elysian Audio Diva

_DSC2034-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

I didn’t listen to this one very long. While the bass is slightly better than that of the Moondrop S8, vocals are much too forward. Furthermore, I didn’t perceive it to be better than the S8 in terms of overall clarity or detail retrieval.

Unique Melody MEST Mk II

_DSC2038-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

I originally set out to audition the MEST Mk III, but the show unit was pretty crusted over with earwax by the time I got to it. I showed this to one of the UM staff, who accidentally dislodged the nozzle filter on the Mk III as he tried to clean the earwax. I was glad I didn’t attempt to do it myself. The Mk II was the first IEM of the show that exhibted driver flex, which is never pleasant. As far as sound, the Mk II was a brighter sounding IEM than I expected, with an extended treble response that does not come across as overemphasized. It has good instrument separation and lower midrange body, but drums felt like they were lacking a little in impact.

FatFreq Maestro Mini

I expected this to sound bassier than it actually ended up being. While detail retrieval is mostly adequate for its price point, there is too much lower treble and limited upper treble extension. Vocals also sounded a little thin. Notably, the housings are quite small.

FatFreq Scarlet Mini

_DSC2044-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

This still somehow sounded less bassy than I would have expected. I suppose this shows the merits of a subbass-only bass elevation in a way. However, the midrange clarity was not great, and neither was detail retrieval given the price. It has a more balanced treble response than the Maestro Mini, but upper treble extension was still lacking. Like the Maestro Mini, the housings are very compact.

FatFreq Maestro SE

_DSC2048-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

This has much better treble extension and detail retrieval than the previous two IEMs, but still seems a tad overpriced. With that said, this was by far my favorite of the FatFreq lineup, with super crisp percussion and the most conventional sounding midrange.

FatFreq Maestro

This was a pretty huge step down from the Maestro SE, with much worse treble extension, detail retrieval, and clarity. There also seeems to be a lot less bass impact. Extremely overpriced.

Letshuoer Cadenza 12

_DSC2051-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

This is a solid, inoffensive all-rounder with a pleasant, safe treble response and great isolation. It doesn’t sound quite as resolving as some of the other IEMs in this price bracket, particularly in the bass response, but it has great bass impact and a very open soundstage.

In addition to auditioning IEMs, CanJam was a great chance for me to meet some of the fellow reviewers and industry people who I had only interacted with online before. I had a nice conversation with @Precogvision while we waited for our turn to try Subtonic Storm and the Elysian Audio Annihilator. I also bumped into @MRSallee and some of the members of the Headphones.com team. Maybe next year I will be brave enough to talk to @crinacle.

The trip back to DC was not so smooth, as we had to drive through a heavy rainstorm for most of the way on the New Jersey Turnpike. Luckily, we arrived home safely. Overall, CanJam NYC 2024 was an amazing experience and I’m looking forward to next year.
Great photos. You're one of the people who brought a professional camera/lens, huh? :smile:

Shame you didn't try the Grand Maestro or Symphonium Titan, given your feedback on the Maestro SE and Scarlet Mini. GM and Titan were 2 of my favorite IEMs that I got to test at the show.

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #293 of 707
Hi there, first I want to thank you sincerely for repairing my 320MAX. You're a wizard.

I personally don't find 320MAX bright, I think it sounds more neutral but I have heard some people describe it as bright-tilted. I also wanted to give NOVUS the benefit of the doubt.

320MAX to me is quite a transparent source so I find it to reveal the transducer pretty well.
Yes, I think it will reveal all and yet, IMO, it is very natural.

--------

Anyone have impressions of the LTA equipment?

Mar 11, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #294 of 707
Here's some brief impressions from this past weekend, unfortunately a large majority of my photos won't upload to Head Fi so I'll just share a few.

Thursday night I got in quite late, had a late night dinner and went back to the hotel to get some rest.

Early Friday morning I went down to visit the 9/11 museum and memorial. Absolutely incredible and emotional place and exhibit but 100% worth seeing at least once if you are in New York. Shortly after that it was lunch at Carragher's bar and grill, being a Liverpool fan this was a MUST try for me. It's Irish-American cuisine and the chicken curry there was to die for! If you've had chicken curry in England and then chicken curry in America, you know they are not the same. This tasted just like how I expected it to be back in England and it was fantastic.

Friday night's view from the Summit @ One Vanderbilt, easily the best view I've had in Manhattan. Lovely atmosphere as well with a few exhibits and a nice cocktail bar on the 93rd floor.

IMG_9220.JPG

Late night walk through Grand Central, absolutely beautiful inside here and my god this place is MASSIVE.

IMG_9225.JPG

I headed into CanJam Saturday right at opening after an amazing breakfast with @bigbeans and his father.. naturally I shot straight to the MusicTeck table to knock out as much as I could ASAP.

UM Mason... This was fairly decent. It was a neutral warmer tonality with a good sense of body and texture, I found the upper mids a bit too relaxed for my tastes but overall a more library-friendly version of the Mason line. I still prefer the Multiverse Mentor.

Traillii Ti, I was quite impressed with this overall but I couldn't get over the price tag given the OG Traillii can be had for $3k now on the used market. It felt like this was a little leaner and more clarity based with less of a mid bass emphasis and more of a sub bass focus. It was still very excellent but again at $8.5k in 2024, no thank you.

Elysian Pilgrim, 1 DD 3 BA and I think priced around $400? This was a highlight of the show for the price to performance ratio. Very Elysian-esc in tuning but I largely prefer the bass quality here compared to the Annihilator or X, it didn't have that dryness or lack of texture that I associate with those two releases. I did find the treble a tad too energetic and missing some refinement but overall I think this one will be a hit when it's available.

QDC Emperor... a warmer tilted QDC-sounding IEM with lots of details and high resolution but I was quite disappointed by the DD bass in this set. It decayed incredibly fast and honestly I could have been convinced this was a BA driver handling the lows instead. Overall it was underwhelming for me.

Fatigue set in very fast for me Saturday, the show floor was packed and ambient noise levels meant you had to really crank up everything to be able to listen properly. As a quiet listener that isn't really my vibe when it comes to auditions. Shortly after the MusicTeck booth I left to go have a bottomless mimosa brunch with Head-Fi'er @tawmizzzzand some of his co workers.

After more mimosas than I can count we headed back to CanJam and the show floor was even more packed, it was a large contrast to the more relaxed vibes that were at CanJam Dallas. At this point I had lost interest in listening to anything else for the day so I left quite quickly and went to go meet up with some friends in the city for some beers and darts, followed by dinner at Hard Rock Cafe and some more cocktails with @tawmizzzz , I think I might have gotten him a little too tipsy but it was a great night with even better company.

Sunday morning the show floor was far less hectic but still overall busy, and I was able to really knock out a bunch of auditions.

The AK SP3000T was quite impressive, it was not your typical AK sound and went for something the was more musical and bodied which I think offered a very nice side grade option to the SP3000. Build quality was impressive and exactly what you'd expect from an Ultima product. I am looking forward to spending more time with this when demo units will be available, but I couldn't reach a conclusion regarding how much I enjoyed it with the show floor environment.

I also spend a little bit of time with the AK x EE NOVUS, this sounded like a warm tilted/mid bassy set with good tonal balance and high levels of details and technicals. As you'd expect from the w9+ drivers, sub bass was deep and well textured but I felt it was missing a bit of that "airy" bottom end I usually prefer. Regardless I thought it was very impressive but maybe a tad over priced. The IEM was on the larger side but I had no issues with fit and the build quality was by far the best I've seen from anything EE related.

The Lotoo Mjolnir, this honestly just blew me away almost instantly. The build quality is fantastic and it looks the part too. It's smaller in person than you'd expect from pictures but very much transportable/desktop sized. I already placed an order for this yesterday and I will receive this tomorrow. The was more neutral in tonality but the way this was able to capture levels of detail, resolution, transparency, and texture was just unlike anything I've experienced before with IEMs, and it did it all so effortlessly and in an organic nature that felt like it wasn't forcing you into hearing it but rather laying it out in front of you instead for you to enjoy. I have heard from some trusted ears who have more experience in desktop level gear that the price to performance on this isn't anything special, but I couldn't find myself caring because the emotional reaction I had listening to this was priceless. One of my test tracks "it's been a while" by Staind just left me speechless. The bass texture, the weight behind his voice while not needing added warmth to achieve it, the details and spacious imaging... it was one of the most overwhelming experiences I've had and I was fighting tears the entire time listening to it (or maybe I was just tired and needed more sleep after Saturday night's debauchery 😂) Either way I loved it and I can't wait to spend more time with it.

I spent the majority of my Saturday hanging out at the SG trio booth of Symponium, Subtonic, and NightJar. This booth was PACKED the entire time on both days and deservedly so. These companies are putting out some of the best products money can buy so seeing the lines of people waiting to audition stuff wasn't even remotely surprising. I cannot sing enough praise around this booth and everyone that was working it. They were all so wonderful and are genuinely some of the most kind souled and full hearted people I have ever met. The passion these guys have for the hobby is intoxicating and I am looking forward to giving these companies my business because I know it will lead to even better products down the road.

I finally got to hear the Crimson and upcoming model Titan. Crimson was awesome, depending on what tracks I was using it sat somewhere between a U shape and W shaped tonality but came off neutral in the mid range with an elevated sub bass response and slightly elevated treble. I could see the highs on this maybe being a bit too much for some people but using CP145 tips and DX260 I had no issues with it. The treble was elevated enough to give the top end some life and excitement but I didn't find it sharp or spicy. The bass was also incredibly impressive for BA drivers, what they've achieved here with a 4 BA setup is quite astonishing.

The Titan is their new IEM that should be out soon. This was warmer and smooth but with a massive DD bass response that was incredibly satisfying to listen to. Detailing was still fairly good as well and I can see this being popular amongst watercoolers. It also had a lovely looking blue shell and cable that I thought was really a looker.

The NightJar Duality was every bit as impressive as it was when I heard it in CanJam Dallas and my initial impressions of it were justified again after hearing it in New York. This is a must-buy for me and it should be available in June/July ish if everything goes well. This IEM is unbelievably fun with an addicting bass shelf but manages to still keep excellent timbre and impressive detailing for an all DD setup. I can't wait for this.

I like to stay open minded and I got curious and auditioned the Subtonic Storm again to see if my opinions would change on it. I've stated here before that I really don't like how the Storm stages, at least from the DAPs I have tried it with (SP3000, N30 LE, and DX260), but pairing this with the PB5 completely changed my opinion on it. Not only did it smoothen out the treble and reduce the slightly dry timbre but it also felt like the faceplates of the IEM were removed and it could finally stage/expand the way I wanted it to and no longer felt boxed in. The added width and more spacious imaging took this to a level that I thought is probably the highest fidelity sound available right now. I think the regular edition is going to be available in April or May and I have every intention to rebuy it after hearing it again with the PB5, I highly recommend that pair up. I did try it from the D16 straight but it didn't quite do it for me. It was still impressive in its own right but I felt it was missing personality. The dynamics felt softened and treble was a little too blunted for me and missing that vibrant detail that I enjoy with the Storm. I also got to test with with the 8 wire Sovereign which I think is a $13,000 cable and the MASSKobo 465 AMP, which is like $17,000? It was damn impressive especially in how the 465 was able to handle the bass and overall note weight but I just couldn't appreciate it enough given how strong diminishing returns are hitting here. Either way, I think Storm + PB5 is an endgame setup.

There were some other stuff I got to test but overall these are what stood out to me the most... the Mjolnir, Storm, and Duality are all products I want to own. Mjolnir has been purchased and I will be waiting for the release of the RE Storm and the Duality.

I got to meet so many new faces and most of these people I have been chatting to for years. I really had the best time and I am looking forward to linking up again in SoCal and Dallas later this year.

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #297 of 707
I liked the SP3000T more than the SP3000 for my current tastes I suppose? It was warmer and more meaty/bassy. The resolution and clarity wasn’t on the same level as SP3900 but I felt the DAP was more soulful. I only listened to it briefly though. I also noticed AK did a better job at shielding the tubes compared to the SP2000T. I compared it to the gold SP3000 right afterwards.

I wouldn’t say it was a downgrade versus SP3000 but more so a different flavor.
I have the SE300Ti and enjoy it a lot. Very smooth but detailed.

Mar 11, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #300 of 707

Users who are viewing this thread

Back