ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Apr 28, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #2,491 of 2,558
Hello yall,
New to the community and wanted to ask a few questions and see if these are the correct consensus on the Pendant SE. I recently purchased a Pendant SE from a local headfier with a few sets of extra tubes. I was wondering if anyone had a clue what the rectifier tube I have is? https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/zmf-pendant-se-with-extra-tubes.58981/

From what I have gathered the GEC U709 + G73-R are the must have combo. I have particularly been enjoying the sylvania yellow label power tube with the non label rectifier along with the RTF EL84s, This brings out rich punchy warmer sound unlike the blackplates that were a slight bit cleaner.

My previous chain prior to leaving he hobby was an Ares II > Active switch > RCA Hagerman Audio Tube > XLR Monolith Liquid Platinum > ZMF VC Leopardwood >Audeze LCD2 Shedua

Currently The Pendant is being fed by a Chord Mojo at 3v without a hitch. I have put in an order for a Holo Cyan 2 to replace the Mojo. Will the 2.5v from the RCA of the Cyan 2 be just fine? I know later on when i decided to try out HQPlayer up to DSD it will drop to about 1.25v. Only asking if others run the Pendant under 2.5-3v i do not mean to start an HQPlayer side tangent.
Unfortunately, I don't know what kind of rectifier that is, no. Can you ask Ron? Yeah, theU709's are the best of the best, no doubt. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, the 50's Mullard EZ81's wonderful. A great sense of space and detail, just not quite the same level of layering and impact the U709 has.

Haven't tried any Sylvania grey plates, but sounds interesting! I do really love the cleanliness of the black plates though.

2.5V is perfectly fine, the 5V XLR output even better. Generally, the more power you feed this amp, the happier it is. That's just the case with all of Justin's amps it seems. I use the 4V out from my Gumby with an ampsandsound converter from XLR to RCA. The difference is huge coming from the 2V SE output. Especially with this DAC. But I think the extra power has something do to with it too.

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #2,492 of 2,558
Have you heard the D getter version of the Philips? Wondering what sonically is different about the two? Having a hard time finding the foil getter variant. Otherwise for regular Amperex which codes should I try to look for? So far I have Amperex 1958 rx3 A8H and A8F and 1955 rx2 X5F.
I have not heard any other variations on the Phillips, no. And yes, these foil sheet getter versions are hard to find. The whole time I've owned the Pendant I've only seen them pop up for sale once, and I grabbed them up pretty quick. I don't even know where I got the idea that they'd sound good lol.

I have my D getter Amperex though, they're rX3 X6J, from 1956. I'll do a quick comparison soon and see how they compare with the Philips though. I'm listening to them now, and the soundstage and bass are both so satisfying...

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #2,493 of 2,558
I have my D getter Amperex though, they're rX3 X6J, from 1956. I'll do a quick comparison soon and see how they compare with the Philips though. I'm listening to them now, and the soundstage and bass are both so satisfying...
Ok, so they're very similar sounding tubes. The Amperex has a little more of that upper treble stuff going on, and the soundstage is a little more closed in. Still that smooth, slightly soft, bassy sound. Things just get dialed in a notch better with the Phillips. The imaging is more even, voices and instruments seem noticeably farther outside the head, and there's a slightly blacker background. And really not much treble etch to speak of. They're rXp codes btw. 1953-54, made in the sittard plant. Just wish they were more available...

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #2,494 of 2,558
Unfortunately, I don't know what kind of rectifier that is, no. Can you ask Ron? Yeah, theU709's are the best of the best, no doubt. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, the 50's Mullard EZ81's wonderful. A great sense of space and detail, just not quite the same level of layering and impact the U709 has.

Haven't tried any Sylvania grey plates, but sounds interesting! I do really love the cleanliness of the black plates though.

2.5V is perfectly fine, the 5V XLR output even better. Generally, the more power you feed this amp, the happier it is. That's just the case with all of Justin's amps it seems. I use the 4V out from my Gumby with an ampsandsound converter from XLR to RCA. The difference is huge coming from the 2V SE output. Especially with this DAC. But I think the extra power has something do to with it
I did ask Ron and unfortunately it was a no label from the first owner.

I too have been running the Mojo a bit hot at 3v but if you are pushing 4 i might have to go back to ultra violet.

2.5V is perfectly fine, the 5V XLR output even better. Generally, the more power you feed this amp, the happier it is. That's just the case with all of Justin's amps it seems. I use the 4V out from my Gumby with an ampsandsound converter from XLR to RCA. The difference is huge coming from the 2V SE output. Especially with this DAC. But I think the extra power has something do to with it too.
I plan on reaching out to Hanoitubes for a GEC U709 + G73-R within the near future. Rolling is the name of the game. I have been enjoying matching things up so far.

Thank you for letting me know about Justin's black box.
between https://ampsandsound.com/products/xlr-to-rca-converters Please remember this is selectable for 2:1 or 1:1 via switch. This means you can have a 1:1 for your XLR to RCA conversion or if your DAC is too hot you can step this signal down 2:1 without loss of fidelity.
and https://ampsandsound.com/products/b...input-transformers-and-stepped-volume-control While our traditional Black Box XLR to RCA box does a fantastic job at Balanced to Singled Ended conversion, it couldn't help with system matching. The goal of the attenuation is to adjust/modulate your incoming source signal to a level your system can make full use of. Instead of accepting 2V or even 4V for signal, you'll be able to reduce gain and better define your system's sweet spot and noise floor.

These will be something I will heavily look into.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #2,495 of 2,558
I did ask Ron and unfortunately it was a no label from the first owner.

I too have been running the Mojo a bit hot at 3v but if you are pushing 4 i might have to go back to ultra violet.

I plan on reaching out to Hanoitubes for a GEC U709 + G73-R within the near future. Rolling is the name of the game. I have been enjoying matching things up so far.

Thank you for letting me know about Justin's black box.
between https://ampsandsound.com/products/xlr-to-rca-converters Please remember this is selectable for 2:1 or 1:1 via switch. This means you can have a 1:1 for your XLR to RCA conversion or if your DAC is too hot you can step this signal down 2:1 without loss of fidelity.
and https://ampsandsound.com/products/b...input-transformers-and-stepped-volume-control While our traditional Black Box XLR to RCA box does a fantastic job at Balanced to Singled Ended conversion, it couldn't help with system matching. The goal of the attenuation is to adjust/modulate your incoming source signal to a level your system can make full use of. Instead of accepting 2V or even 4V for signal, you'll be able to reduce gain and better define your system's sweet spot and noise floor.

These will be something I will heavily look into.
For my use case, the one without the stepped attenuator made the most sense.

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #2,496 of 2,558
OK, since there seem to be quite a few Sonnet Morpheus owners here, I got mine in today and it doesn't appear to be outputting to the RCA connectors at all. I've tried two amps, no sound from either one. I have it set to fixed volume with 0dbf and USB input - the No Data sign even goes away when I play music and I have the Morpeus selected as the output device. Thoughts? Or do I have a dud?

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #2,497 of 2,558
OK, since there seem to be quite a few Sonnet Morpheus owners here, I got mine in today and it doesn't appear to be outputting to the RCA connectors at all. I've tried two amps, no sound from either one. I have it set to fixed volume with 0dbf and USB input - the No Data sign even goes away when I play music and I have the Morpeus selected as the output device. Thoughts? Or do I have a dud?
Do the XLR outputs work? I know that doesn't help with a Pendant, but mine outputs signals to XLR and RCA by default so feeds 2 amps at once. You get new or used?

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #2,498 of 2,558
Do the XLR outputs work? I know that doesn't help with a Pendant, but mine outputs signals to XLR and RCA by default so feeds 2 amps at once. You get new or used?
Used, Both amps I have out right now are RCA inputs. I guess I'll break out the Oor from retirement to check the XLR. Odd, seems like a pretty simple DAC - shouldn't be having this issue - may need to return it.

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #2,499 of 2,558
Nope. No output from the XLR either. I'm hoping it's user error, like the jumpers inside are wrong or something, but DACs aren't usually this hard to set up.

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #2,500 of 2,558
Bummer. If both outputs don't work hopefully it's just a setting or something.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #2,501 of 2,558
Bummer. If both outputs don't work hopefully it's just a setting or something.
Yeah, though I can't for the life of me figure out what setting it would be. There's no output settings I can find. I'm afraid the output stage is dead. Again, that would be a first for me from any DAC.

The $100 Schiit Modi works perfectly well. What the heck Sonnet?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #2,502 of 2,558
Yeah, though I can't for the life of me figure out what setting it would be. There's no output settings I can find. I'm afraid the output stage is dead. Again, that would be a first for me from any DAC.

The $100 Schiit Modi works perfectly well. What the heck Sonnet?

Make sure the outputs aren't muted. Cycle the mute option.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #2,503 of 2,558
Make sure the outputs aren't muted. Cycle the mute option.
Yep. Did that a couple times already. I'm really out of ideas. Very odd that it won't output. It's a shame because my G73-R came in today and I really wanted to test it with a Top-tier DAC. Still, it sound wonderful even from the Schiit Modi. Now I just need to find a DAC that works...

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #2,504 of 2,558
Well, had to return the Morpheus. I have a Denfrips Pontus II on the way instead. Hopefully it works and sounds great.

May 1, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #2,505 of 2,558
Well, had to return the Morpheus. I have a Denfrips Pontus II on the way instead. Hopefully it works and sounds great.

You should've waited for the hyped FOTM Laiv Harmony DAC :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back