ZMF Caldera vs Atrium vs Verite Closed vs Audeze LCD-X vs Fostex TH-909 on multiple amps
Nov 27, 2022 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jandrese

New Head-Fier
My first listen to the Caldera was on my work system that includes the Schitt Lyr3 hybrid tube amp and the SMSL SP400 THX-888-AAA amp. On the Lyr3 the Caldera was initially, that is, immediately engagingly and smile inducing. It’s basic traits were on display. The Caldera is chill, relaxed even, that is, it seems to handle anything with aplomb. The soundstage was moderately wide and had some layering/depth. The frequency response seemed flatter than other ZMF headphones in my collection (more on that later). Detail retrieval and resolving capability is a core strength of the Caldera. Planar dynamics and speed were apparent. Bass dynamics were excellent with no loss in resolution. Also at work I had the Atrium and the Caldrea was more extended in the bass, not as warm in the mid bass, and more extended in the highs. That basically sums up the “flatter” frequency response. The Atrium is warm and fuzzy without losing detail it that makes any sense. The Caldera is somewhat similar without being as warm and fuzzy. Anyway, the Caldera and the Atrium are closer in sonic signature than the Caldera is to the Verite Closed.

Switching to the SMSL SP400 amp the Caldera immediately showed the difference in the upstream components. And that is another core characteristic of the Caldera, it very clearly reveals what is going on with the rest of the system. The exposure of sonic differences in amps especially is not ruthless, it’s chill, the Caldera just plainly presents the differences as dispassionate facts. The Lyr3 is warmer, has a more lush midrange, and is more dynamic than the SP400 and the Caldera made that more obvious than any other headphone I’ve ever heard. Also, compared to the Atrium the Caldera is much less isolating, it’s a more open open back headphone. That is, outside noise is more obvious, but that is not unusual for a planar headphone. This is made more apparent by another core strength of the Caldera and that is a dead silent noise floor. The headphone itself has seemingly no noise of it’s own. That may seem a bit nutty but the background is just more quiet on the Caldera than anything else I’ve heard.

Going home I tried the Caldera on the Cayin HA-6A, the Schitt Jotenheim, and the Toppping A90 and compared it to the ZMF Verite Closed, the Audeze LCD-X, and the Fostex TH-909 headphones.

On the Cayin HA-6A (with stock tubes), which is freaking magical with the Verite Closed (VC), the Caldera proved less than that. Still totally amazing, and better than the Lyr3, but the pairing did not have the synergy that the VC enjoys. It’s as if the HA-6A had a harder time driving the Caldera than the VC, which does make sense. The Caldera desires current more than voltage and the HA-6A is a tube amp. Regardless, power is a great friend to the Caldera and the HA-6A has power. Compared to the VC on the HA-6A the Caldera soundstage was wider than tall (VC was taller) and wider overall than the VC although the VC soundstage is wide for a closed back. There is space around every instrument and vocalist on the Caldera, more so than the VC; everything has room to breathe. The Caldera preferred ultralinear mode and medium impedance whereas the VC preferred triode mode and high impedance. The Caldera is more resolving than the VC, but not necessarily because it’s more detailed. Fundamentally, the VC is more colored than the Caldera. The VC injects more of itself into the music. The Caldera just presents what it is being fed with less color commentary. If the music is beautiful the Caldera is beautiful and the relaxed nonplussed presentation is great for complex, sonically dense recordings. The Caldera just gives everything room, a space to exist, and presents the elements with a naturalistic calm. I’m not sure anything can ruffle the Caldera’s feathers as it were. The headphone is so capable, it has so much reserve capacity, it just effortlessly goes with the flow. The VC is, however, more emotionally engaging, more incisive, and more textured (more gravel in a gravely voice). Bass on the VC is stronger and there is a sustained bass subtext present in the VC that is lacking in the Caldera. These characteristics of the VC are colors imposed on the music; I like it, but the Caldera is more neutral. The VC is so detailed and aggressive that at times this combines with its closed back design to make the music sound congested, which never happens with the Caldera.

On the HA-6A the Fostex TH-909 are dynamic, bass rich (downright powerful), and as detailed as all get out. The Caldera cannot match the bass of the TH-909 but is not as aggressively detailed. The TH-909 is an excellent headphone, truly, but the Caldera is easier to listen to for a wider array of music. The TH-909 can be fatiguing, it’s a Corvette sports car at full throttle. Caldera is more adaptable. The Caldera is a Bentley Continental Super Sport.

Switching to the Schitt Jotenheim, which is magical with the Audeze LCD-X, the Caldera was very good but did not pair as well with the amp. By that I mean the Caldera exposed the amp for being what it is whereas the LCD-X matches it’s strengths. Being planar the Caldera and the LCD-X shared a quality of presentation, a snappiness, a density of sound typical of planar drivers. Akin to the VC, the LCD-X is colored and the Caldera is much less so. On the Joteheim the LCD-X actually reminds me of the VC in that the presentation is bass rich, incisive, and highly detailed but can get congested and is on the artificially engaging side of neutrality.

Finally, on the Topping A90D, which is taking a beating by some reviewers of late, the Caldera is really good. On the balanced output for max power the Caldera is powerful, super dynamic, clear, bass rich, and highly detailed. The soundstage seemed to shrink a bit in width or at least get more confused compared to the HA-6A or the Lyr3 and the midrange was not a luscious. The presentation is more forward on the A90D than on the tube amps, closer to the performers. There does seem to be a shimmery veil or a sheen (whatever that means) to the Topping A90D that the Caldera shows more plainly than any other headphone but overall the pairing is not bad at all. Clearly, the Caldera loves power. I’m for sure interested in a super powerful super good sounding solid state amp to pair with the Caldera.

For what it’s worth I prefer the suede pads to the thick type lambskin pads. I think it is both more comfortable and better sounding. There can be no doubt that the Caldera is a top flight headphone. Reviewers have had a bit of a hard time describing it’s sound. I think this because it is so effortlessly and calmly revealing that it just gets out of the way, but in fashion that does not neglect to deliver amazing sonics. The Caldera has few, if any, weaknesses. It’s not ruler flat neutral, but neither does it deviate as much into euphoric color as does the VC or the Atrium. Being designed about the same time, and sharing some technology with the Atrium, the Caldera is more akin to that than to the VC. I’m happy to have all three. The oak finish also looks (and smells!) fantastic. Can’t recommend the Caldera enough.

Attachments

• 7DA0572B-7D49-4F52-A8B3-C6C75A08770C.jpeg
    7DA0572B-7D49-4F52-A8B3-C6C75A08770C.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 5E3927FA-7A91-4186-B84A-4FB2C80920AE.jpeg
    5E3927FA-7A91-4186-B84A-4FB2C80920AE.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 65735145-DFD2-44A6-86F0-B31434517216.jpeg
    65735145-DFD2-44A6-86F0-B31434517216.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • FABC00A1-A8CC-482F-A014-C425259E1CAE.jpeg
    FABC00A1-A8CC-482F-A014-C425259E1CAE.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • E30390BE-8805-456A-B8D0-66E534EB8944.jpeg
    E30390BE-8805-456A-B8D0-66E534EB8944.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 81165BE9-2637-4B67-BA35-E24BF34DCEB1.jpeg
    81165BE9-2637-4B67-BA35-E24BF34DCEB1.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Nov 27, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 15
Thanks for these impressions. I'm sort of curious about the Caldera but I think from reading helpful comparisons like yours I doubt it would displace or even complement the Atrium for me. I really appreciate you writing these up.

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 15
Always interesting to read someone else’s take comparing headphones, especially when I also own a couple of the same cans. I’m wondering if you tried the LCD-X on the HA-6a?

Nov 28, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #4 of 15
Always interesting to read someone else’s take comparing headphones, especially when I also own a couple of the same cans. I’m wondering if you tried the LCD-X on the HA-6a?
I have tried the LCD-X on the HA-6A. I got my LCD-X in 2019 so I reckon I have the model prior to yours. Anyway, it sounds good on the HA-6A, it's an amazing amp. The Caldera sounds better. Still and all I prefer the HA-6A with the Verite Closed, the synergy is magical. The Jotenheim/LCD-X combo is itself magical albeit at a somewhat lower sonic level. I keep that combo at my home office and enjoy it as much now as when I got it. I just ordered the Cayin iHA-6 amp to try with the Caldera. I was really enjoying those headphones over the Topping A90D last night but I know there is more available.

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 15
A interesting review but I do have some follow-up questions, you say that the Cayin HA-6A is not powerful enough for the Caldera, thats pretty surprising, the HA-6A is even for a transformer coupled tube amp powerful in wattage and current, I mean, insufficent for Susvara I understand but insufficent for the Caldera? was not expecting someone to state that.
What DAC do you connect to your HA-6A?
Is it with SE or XLR interconnects?
Which output do you use for the Caldera?

Nov 28, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 15
A interesting review but I do have some follow-up questions, you say that the Cayin HA-6A is not powerful enough for the Caldera, thats pretty surprising, the HA-6A is even for a transformer coupled tube amp powerful in wattage and current, I mean, insufficent for Susvara I understand but insufficent for the Caldera? was not expecting someone to state that.
What DAC do you connect to your HA-6A?
Is it with SE or XLR interconnects?
Which output do you use for the Caldera?
The Cayin HA-6A is very powerful but is a tube amp so is really great at suppling voltage, but the Caldera loves current. Conversely, the Verite Closed love voltage and really sing with the Cayin amp. The Caldera headphones sound fantastic on the HA-6A but my testing with other amps indicated that a powerful solid state amp is a better match for the Caldera. Hence, I ordered the Cayin iHA-6 on the promise that it will be a better sounding powerful solid state amp than what I currently have on hand. One report indicates I made a good choice. I have no experience with the HA-6A with Susvara; I’ve never heard the Susvara. Some reports say the HA-6A is good with Susvara but it’s not a universal opinion. I’m sure the Susvara sounds good on the amp, but I also would not be surprised if those headphones sounded their best on a powerful solid state amp. People’s use of speaker amplifiers for the Susvara speaks to this conclusion.

Attached by single ended cables to the Cayin HA-6A is the Topping D90se mqa DAC. I find it makes a nice foil with the tube amp. At least with the Verite Closed I reduce the output of the DAC by 3 dB to make the amp’s volume control have a larger useful range. The D90se is simultaneously feeding the Topping A90D via the balanced output, the combo of which can be a bit too much of the same thing at times. Feeding the Lyr3 is the Topping D50s and the SMSL SP400 is the SMSL SU-6. The Jotenheim is using an internal multibit DAC. I’m open to a new DAC but I’ve not focused on that aspect of my systems.

For the Caldera on the Topping the balanced cable delivers the most powerful connection and is the more pleasant cable to use; its more pliant and not at all microphonic. On the HA-6A I’ve usually run the Caldera single ended but have tried the 3 pin balanced output and it’s fine, no discernible difference. For the iHA-6 that is incoming the Caldera will connect via a 4-pin balanced cable as that connection is home to the high current mode of the amp.

Nov 28, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks for these impressions. I'm sort of curious about the Caldera but I think from reading helpful comparisons like yours I doubt it would displace or even complement the Atrium for me. I really appreciate you writing these up.
The Atrium is very good. I just wish I had ordered mine with a less dense wood. The cocobolo version is very heavy albeit gorgeous. Caldera is far more comfortable in oak as is the Verite Closed in monkey pod.

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 15
Was something else I wanted to ask about using the caldera with the HA-6A if you dont mind jandrese

The Cayin HA-6A has well known background tube noise problem that can be adjusted a lot based on your pre-amp tubes yes but you will always hear something with dynamics, especially with ZMFs it seems youve got the Verite closed so you should know what im talking about, people have said how planars dont have this problem, that its completely silent with planars on the HA-6A, just want to ask specifically on the caldera with the HA-6A, is it a completely silent background?

Dec 11, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 15
I have the Caldera, the Audeze LCD-X, and (until recently) the HifFiMan Arya Stealth. I do get some background noise with the Verite Closed, but the volume is a bigger “issue”. I lower the output of the DAC by 3 dB to gain a bit of useful range on the Cayin volume knob. The VC are pretty sensitive. The aforementioned planar headphones are harder to drive, and that generally correlates to lower if not always absent background noise. It can vary with the tubes. The vintage Baldwin driver tubes seem to have a louder background than the stock tubes. At this point I don’t even notice the background noise level any more. It was never intrusive and the sonics are so incredible I just get lost.

Anyway, yes, the Caldera barely show any background noise, but I don’t all the way care for the Caldera on the HA-6A. The Caldera crave current, and the solid state Cayin iHA-6, which has similar sonic profile as the tube HA-6A, is a fantastic match for the Caldera. It also does a more than credible job with the VC.

Dec 13, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 15
I see, yes the background noise of the HA-6A can vary a great deal based on the pre-amp tubes and yeah the lack of volume play is a side effect of using sensitive headphones on a powerful amp with a stepped attenuator volume control, my DAC doesnt have any volume adjustment so ive just learned to live with it, atleast some good news that you say that the Caldera has barely any background noise compared to your VC.

Regarding your view that the HA-6A is ill suited for the Caldera and you are best served by the iHA-6, I can respect your opinion that this is your preference according to your tastes and ears, I do still myself have 2 points that would hold me back from considering the iHA-6.

Firstly that the HA-6A is a tube amp so with all the upsides and downsides of such a thing, some people find tube rolling intimidating and avoid the amps because of it, I went for the tube amp because of it, I just love how you can roll the tubes and radically change the nature of the sound, the different combinations means you can arrive at end results that are very tailored to whatever suits you and be changed for the type of music or simply your mood, ive also found tube amps to be more sensitive to changing the rest of the chain, as such ive got a large of collection of tubes I can roll between (yeah ive turned into one of those people (without the intention (honestly!))) and a chain that is very optimised for the HA-6A (silver is a whole lot faster than copper), at this point I really dont want to leave all that behind.

Second is much simpler, I really truly struggle to believe that @zach915m would spend 6 years designing and constructing the Caldera, his flagship Ortho, with a high (for orthos) sensitivity and impedance and that you dont get the optimum performance from with a transformer coupled tube amp, a transformerless one yeah that makes sense, part of the appeal of the TC over the OTL was that it can be succesfuly used for other driver types than just high impedance dynamics, part of why I got the HA-6A over a OTL was for that exact reason, I wanted to keep the ortho option open for the future, I mean Zach himself recommends to people the Cayin tube amps (which he even sells himself) he even recommends the HA-6A over the HA-300 to people because the sound is more malleable to peoples tastes, if the Caldera really needed the iHA-6 for optimum performance I think he would actually say so, he would be offering Caldera/iHA-6 bundles (more specific than the add extra option one now) or something like that, maybe im overly enamoured by Zach/ZMF (after meeting him at CanJam (London 2019) and owning Verite & Atrium) in that I feel he would be telling people that the Caldera and TC is not a optimum choice just like hes telling people that the Caldera and OTL is not a optimum choice.

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #11 of 15
I see, yes the background noise of the HA-6A can vary a great deal based on the pre-amp tubes and yeah the lack of volume play is a side effect of using sensitive headphones on a powerful amp with a stepped attenuator volume control, my DAC doesnt have any volume adjustment so ive just learned to live with it, atleast some good news that you say that the Caldera has barely any background noise compared to your VC.

Regarding your view that the HA-6A is ill suited for the Caldera and you are best served by the iHA-6, I can respect your opinion that this is your preference according to your tastes and ears, I do still myself have 2 points that would hold me back from considering the iHA-6.

Firstly that the HA-6A is a tube amp so with all the upsides and downsides of such a thing, some people find tube rolling intimidating and avoid the amps because of it, I went for the tube amp because of it, I just love how you can roll the tubes and radically change the nature of the sound, the different combinations means you can arrive at end results that are very tailored to whatever suits you and be changed for the type of music or simply your mood, ive also found tube amps to be more sensitive to changing the rest of the chain, as such ive got a large of collection of tubes I can roll between (yeah ive turned into one of those people (without the intention (honestly!))) and a chain that is very optimised for the HA-6A (silver is a whole lot faster than copper), at this point I really dont want to leave all that behind.

Second is much simpler, I really truly struggle to believe that @zach915m would spend 6 years designing and constructing the Caldera, his flagship Ortho, with a high (for orthos) sensitivity and impedance and that you dont get the optimum performance from with a transformer coupled tube amp, a transformerless one yeah that makes sense, part of the appeal of the TC over the OTL was that it can be succesfuly used for other driver types than just high impedance dynamics, part of why I got the HA-6A over a OTL was for that exact reason, I wanted to keep the ortho option open for the future, I mean Zach himself recommends to people the Cayin tube amps (which he even sells himself) he even recommends the HA-6A over the HA-300 to people because the sound is more malleable to peoples tastes, if the Caldera really needed the iHA-6 for optimum performance I think he would actually say so, he would be offering Caldera/iHA-6 bundles (more specific than the add extra option one now) or something like that, maybe im overly enamoured by Zach/ZMF (after meeting him at CanJam (London 2019) and owning Verite & Atrium) in that I feel he would be telling people that the Caldera and TC is not a optimum choice just like hes telling people that the Caldera and OTL is not a optimum choice.
Maybe I can clarify my view a bit more. I am completely smitten with the amazing synergy between the Verite Closed and the HA-6A. This is irrespective of the tubes I’m rolling. The Caldera sounds fantastic on the HA-6A, nothing wrong with it. In my testing on five different amps I believe that the Caldera really does prefer a current source. Given the impedance this is not a surprise. Going to the iHA-6 retains most of what I like about the HA-6A in an amp that can also get the best of out the Caldera’s ability to sound big, go deep, and as dynamic as possible (all depending on the music of course). There may be other super powerful solid state amps I’d prefer on with the Caldera over the iHA-6 but there is a definite synergy with Cayin and ZMF sonics.

I have not tube rolled with the Caldera on the HA-6A. Zach prefers the HA-6A with NOS drivers and KT88 power tubes. Especially in ultralinear mode this may benefit the Caldera. Nevertheless, when I plug the Caldera into the HA-6A I miss the magic of the VC on that amp. Caldera is incredible but so is the VC. I believe they represent the current best of what ZMF has to offer notwithstanding the Atrium, which is a much slower burn for me. I’m still figuring out the Atrium. I like it quite a bit on the Schitt Lyr3. Atrium loves power but benefits from tubes. In regards to what Zach might or might not recommend I think he would shy away from definitive statements about pairings. If going tubes with the Caldera TC is undoubtably the optimum recommendation. Knowing I had the HA-6A Zach did not bat an eye when I ordered the iHA-6 for the Caldera, the pairing does sound fantastic.

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #12 of 15
My first listen to the Caldera was on my work system that includes the Schitt Lyr3 hybrid tube amp and the SMSL SP400 THX-888-AAA amp. On the Lyr3 the Caldera was initially, that is, immediately engagingly and smile inducing. It’s basic traits were on display. The Caldera is chill, relaxed even, that is, it seems to handle anything with aplomb. The soundstage was moderately wide and had some layering/depth. The frequency response seemed flatter than other ZMF headphones in my collection (more on that later). Detail retrieval and resolving capability is a core strength of the Caldera. Planar dynamics and speed were apparent. Bass dynamics were excellent with no loss in resolution. Also at work I had the Atrium and the Caldrea was more extended in the bass, not as warm in the mid bass, and more extended in the highs. That basically sums up the “flatter” frequency response. The Atrium is warm and fuzzy without losing detail it that makes any sense. The Caldera is somewhat similar without being as warm and fuzzy. Anyway, the Caldera and the Atrium are closer in sonic signature than the Caldera is to the Verite Closed.

Switching to the SMSL SP400 amp the Caldera immediately showed the difference in the upstream components. And that is another core characteristic of the Caldera, it very clearly reveals what is going on with the rest of the system. The exposure of sonic differences in amps especially is not ruthless, it’s chill, the Caldera just plainly presents the differences as dispassionate facts. The Lyr3 is warmer, has a more lush midrange, and is more dynamic than the SP400 and the Caldera made that more obvious than any other headphone I’ve ever heard. Also, compared to the Atrium the Caldera is much less isolating, it’s a more open open back headphone. That is, outside noise is more obvious, but that is not unusual for a planar headphone. This is made more apparent by another core strength of the Caldera and that is a dead silent noise floor. The headphone itself has seemingly no noise of it’s own. That may seem a bit nutty but the background is just more quiet on the Caldera than anything else I’ve heard.

Going home I tried the Caldera on the Cayin HA-6A, the Schitt Jotenheim, and the Toppping A90 and compared it to the ZMF Verite Closed, the Audeze LCD-X, and the Fostex TH-909 headphones.

On the Cayin HA-6A (with stock tubes), which is freaking magical with the Verite Closed (VC), the Caldera proved less than that. Still totally amazing, and better than the Lyr3, but the pairing did not have the synergy that the VC enjoys. It’s as if the HA-6A had a harder time driving the Caldera than the VC, which does make sense. The Caldera desires current more than voltage and the HA-6A is a tube amp. Regardless, power is a great friend to the Caldera and the HA-6A has power. Compared to the VC on the HA-6A the Caldera soundstage was wider than tall (VC was taller) and wider overall than the VC although the VC soundstage is wide for a closed back. There is space around every instrument and vocalist on the Caldera, more so than the VC; everything has room to breathe. The Caldera preferred ultralinear mode and medium impedance whereas the VC preferred triode mode and high impedance. The Caldera is more resolving than the VC, but not necessarily because it’s more detailed. Fundamentally, the VC is more colored than the Caldera. The VC injects more of itself into the music. The Caldera just presents what it is being fed with less color commentary. If the music is beautiful the Caldera is beautiful and the relaxed nonplussed presentation is great for complex, sonically dense recordings. The Caldera just gives everything room, a space to exist, and presents the elements with a naturalistic calm. I’m not sure anything can ruffle the Caldera’s feathers as it were. The headphone is so capable, it has so much reserve capacity, it just effortlessly goes with the flow. The VC is, however, more emotionally engaging, more incisive, and more textured (more gravel in a gravely voice). Bass on the VC is stronger and there is a sustained bass subtext present in the VC that is lacking in the Caldera. These characteristics of the VC are colors imposed on the music; I like it, but the Caldera is more neutral. The VC is so detailed and aggressive that at times this combines with its closed back design to make the music sound congested, which never happens with the Caldera.

On the HA-6A the Fostex TH-909 are dynamic, bass rich (downright powerful), and as detailed as all get out. The Caldera cannot match the bass of the TH-909 but is not as aggressively detailed. The TH-909 is an excellent headphone, truly, but the Caldera is easier to listen to for a wider array of music. The TH-909 can be fatiguing, it’s a Corvette sports car at full throttle. Caldera is more adaptable. The Caldera is a Bentley Continental Super Sport.

Switching to the Schitt Jotenheim, which is magical with the Audeze LCD-X, the Caldera was very good but did not pair as well with the amp. By that I mean the Caldera exposed the amp for being what it is whereas the LCD-X matches it’s strengths. Being planar the Caldera and the LCD-X shared a quality of presentation, a snappiness, a density of sound typical of planar drivers. Akin to the VC, the LCD-X is colored and the Caldera is much less so. On the Joteheim the LCD-X actually reminds me of the VC in that the presentation is bass rich, incisive, and highly detailed but can get congested and is on the artificially engaging side of neutrality.

Finally, on the Topping A90D, which is taking a beating by some reviewers of late, the Caldera is really good. On the balanced output for max power the Caldera is powerful, super dynamic, clear, bass rich, and highly detailed. The soundstage seemed to shrink a bit in width or at least get more confused compared to the HA-6A or the Lyr3 and the midrange was not a luscious. The presentation is more forward on the A90D than on the tube amps, closer to the performers. There does seem to be a shimmery veil or a sheen (whatever that means) to the Topping A90D that the Caldera shows more plainly than any other headphone but overall the pairing is not bad at all. Clearly, the Caldera loves power. I’m for sure interested in a super powerful super good sounding solid state amp to pair with the Caldera.

For what it’s worth I prefer the suede pads to the thick type lambskin pads. I think it is both more comfortable and better sounding. There can be no doubt that the Caldera is a top flight headphone. Reviewers have had a bit of a hard time describing it’s sound. I think this because it is so effortlessly and calmly revealing that it just gets out of the way, but in fashion that does not neglect to deliver amazing sonics. The Caldera has few, if any, weaknesses. It’s not ruler flat neutral, but neither does it deviate as much into euphoric color as does the VC or the Atrium. Being designed about the same time, and sharing some technology with the Atrium, the Caldera is more akin to that than to the VC. I’m happy to have all three. The oak finish also looks (and smells!) fantastic. Can’t recommend the Caldera enough.
Thanks for this write up. Very helpful! I've been doing my research on ZMF and deciding the best route for me. I'm new-ish to GOOD headphones and my experience has been HFM Ananda (non-stealth) then upgraded to HFM HE1000v2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the 1000's. I recently picked up a pair of Focal Clear thinking maybe they would complement my 1000s for certain music and give me a different flavor not being a planar. Honestly, I didn't really care for them. They were so boxed in compared to my 1000s I couldn't get over the small soundstage. I tried them out for a week or so then sold them.

I'm VERY interested to see what I think of ZMF and not sold on any certain one yet but have been leaning towards the Atrium or Caldera. All the reviews talk about how great the soundstage is on the Atrium so seems like it would be more up my alley. Though the Caldera seems to be the bee's knees and true best in class. I guess I'm trying to figure out what is ideal for me. As described, the Atrium sounds like a really nice complement to my HFM 1000's as they aren't planars and would have a different sound signature but yet still have a big sound stage. But also wondering if I'm just in love with the planar sound too much and should try the Caldera. My concern there is they are a lot more expensive and going to be a stretch to get there financially and are they a good complement to my 1000's? As in, are they just going to do what the 1000 does but potentially better and a bit different? If that was the case, then I might as well sell my 1000's after getting them.

Would love any thoughts you have. Not sure if you've ever heard the 1000's and could comment. I see you do have the Aryas so maybe your thoughts on how the sound signature presents itself in comparison to HFM?

Thanks!

Apr 2, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #13 of 15
Edit: doublepost

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #14 of 15
People really need to stop making correlation between good sound that they like with amount of power.

HA-6A is a powerful amp, and being transformers coupled tube amp, definitely able to deliver ampere/voltage more than what Caldera need. If you like VC with HA-6A, that's totally fine, you like the synergy in sound more. Totally not related with amount of output power.

Personally I quite like HA-6A with Caldera, could be my most favourite choice of the bunch for the price bucket actually. I prefer it anytime any day over Ferrum Oor/Hypsos (8W of power) or Burson GT (10W of power) to drive Caldera. HA-6A also benefit by various of tube rollings. If you need to add fuller body with more intimate vocality, switch to KT88 is a good idea. Of course there are still plenty of other options from EL34 tubes too to match your preference.

May 7, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 15
People really need to stop making correlation between good sound that they like with amount of power.

HA-6A is a powerful amp, and being transformers coupled tube amp, definitely able to deliver ampere/voltage more than what Caldera need. If you like VC with HA-6A, that's totally fine, you like the synergy in sound more. Totally not related with amount of output power.

Personally I quite like HA-6A with Caldera, could be my most favourite choice of the bunch for the price bucket actually. I prefer it anytime any day over Ferrum Oor/Hypsos (8W of power) or Burson GT (10W of power) to drive Caldera. HA-6A also benefit by various of tube rollings. If you need to add fuller body with more intimate vocality, switch to KT88 is a good idea. Of course there are still plenty of other options from EL34 tubes too to match your preference.
I still prefer a current source with the Caldera Closed. I have the Oor/Hysos/Wandla setup now and that is what mostly drives the Caldera. That or the Cayin iha-6. I have learned to appreciate the Caldera on the HA-6A. I’m really looking forward to adding the Caldera Closed to my system as I have much more use for a closed back headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back