ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
May 14, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #7,231 of 7,451
IMG_2017.jpeg

Cocobolo has landed! :beyersmile:

May 14, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #7,232 of 7,451
So as far as using Thick pads and going back to stock, that’s me every time.

The stock has everything going for them. They are energetic, punchy, tight, nice low end warmth, rich mids, and airy highs. Decent sized soundstage with precise imaging.

The thick is tuned slightly warmer because of slight recession in the mids. The thick lose some of the bite and energy of the stock. It’s replaced with a wider and deeper soundstage with more layering. Imagine if have a bright setup, the thick would tame that a bit. I find them a little too laid back for my tastes. It’s nice to hear that big soundstage but takes away the intimacy of the stock.

I find the suede the best for mids but less dynamic and less precise soundstage. There’s a slight fuzziness to the edges of music. It’s very euphoric but if listening to something with a strong beat, it sounds weaker than the stock.

I have never listened to the thin for too long but finally gave it a slightly longer listen. I don’t care for them at all. It sounds like the mid highs are out of tune with a slight piercing sound. The soundstage is somewhat collapsed and mids are too forward.

Don’t think I’m going to spend any more money on pads at this point. I’ll see if I can try the cowhide and the ultra perforated ones at CanJam. Not sure if anything will win me over the stock.

Also reading about the Caldera Closed doesn’t sound like it will fit my preference. Seems it even falls short of the open with thick pads for mids. But I’ll have to listen for myself to be sure.

May 14, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #7,233 of 7,451
Thank you. I was more curious about your source. Are you streaming? CDT?
Oh, sorry. I don't have Roon, Qobuz, any of that.

On the main system (speakers) I listen mainly to low-volume/low bitrate classical streamed from Denmark. When I listen to headphones, it's sometimes to YouTube music I follow, but mainly to ~300 Gb of files (flac, wav) I ripped from CDs or purchased as downloads. Some of the flacs are hi-rez (24/96 or 24/192).

Even if I could figure out streamers, NUCs, Roon, etc (so far I haven't), I don't have room for the various new components that would involve.

May 14, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #7,234 of 7,451
So as far as using Thick pads and going back to stock, that’s me every time.

The stock has everything going for them. They are energetic, punchy, tight, nice low end warmth, rich mids, and airy highs. Decent sized soundstage with precise imaging.

The thick is tuned slightly warmer because of slight recession in the mids. The thick lose some of the bite and energy of the stock. It’s replaced with a wider and deeper soundstage with more layering. Imagine if have a bright setup, the thick would tame that a bit. I find them a little too laid back for my tastes. It’s nice to hear that big soundstage but takes away the intimacy of the stock.

I find the suede the best for mids but less dynamic and less precise soundstage. There’s a slight fuzziness to the edges of music. It’s very euphoric but if listening to something with a strong beat, it sounds weaker than the stock.

I have never listened to the thin for too long but finally gave it a slightly longer listen. I don’t care for them at all. It sounds like the mid highs are out of tune with a slight piercing sound. The soundstage is somewhat collapsed and mids are too forward.

Don’t think I’m going to spend any more money on pads at this point. I’ll see if I can try the cowhide and the ultra perforated ones at CanJam. Not sure if anything will win me over the stock.

Also reading about the Caldera Closed doesn’t sound like it will fit my preference. Seems it even falls short of the open with thick pads for mids. But I’ll have to listen for myself to be sure.

Yeah, I think there's no substitute for listening and forming one's own opinion.

One thing Zach and I have discussed a lot, is that there seem to be a lot of comparisons of the CC vs the CO. If one is deciding between an open and a closed back planar, then that's a pretty obvious and useful comparison.

But it is important to remember that the CC, as a closed back headphone, is going to be a bit different than the CO and it's just as valuable to compare it's sonic qualities vs other closed backs, which is really what it is competing against.

May 14, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #7,235 of 7,451
Seems it even falls short of the open with thick pads for mids.
I'm in the early stages of comparing a loaner Caldera Closed to my Caldera Open. I'm still using the CC's stock pads; the CO has my lambskin thicks on, which I can't bring myself to take off, even for review purposes.

Too early to conclude much, but even w/o putting the CC's lambskin thick pads on in place of stock, I'm not hearing striking differences between them. The family resemblance is very strong--a good thing IMO.

May 14, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #7,236 of 7,451
I've swapped in the thick pads on numerous occasions and I do really enjoy the sound they bring to the CO - but what always ends up with me back on the suedes is comfort (which is surprising because I'm always griping about thinner pads squishing my ears so I would've thought the thick pads were a sure thing). Having fairly heavy (600+ grams) Calderas is probably a factor but the thicks always feel just a bit less secure and stable to me than the stock/suede pads and it ends up bugging me enough to swap back. I really enjoy the suedes (w/mesh) though - they do soften the transients and give the CO a very slightly more diffuse sound but I quite like the warmth they add to it and it's still absolutely no slouch on the speed and snappiness.

May 14, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #7,237 of 7,451
Yeah, I think there's no substitute for listening and forming one's own opinion.

One thing Zach and I have discussed a lot, is that there seem to be a lot of comparisons of the CC vs the CO. If one is deciding between an open and a closed back planar, then that's a pretty obvious and useful comparison.

But it is important to remember that the CC, as a closed back headphone, is going to be a bit different than the CO and it's just as valuable to compare it's sonic qualities vs other closed backs, which is really what it is competing against.
I think, the CC is getting compared to the CO for three reasons:
1, both are Calderas
2, ZMF closed backs are actually able to compete with open backs
3, CC just destroys pretty much all other closed backs.

I am sure, by time we will see more closed back comparisons. But honestly, which closed backs exactly? Stellia? Stealth? Rögnir? To me there is simply no competition between those and the CC.

May 14, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #7,238 of 7,451

This makes complete sense. I generally prefer open back headphones and my current situation allows for them. Plus the Caldera Open is pretty much giving me everything I’d want in a headphone. The closed back version is more of a curiosity is all. I did enjoy the closed back AT L3000 for about 12 years, so I can really enjoy a closed back when done right.

May 14, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #7,239 of 7,451

I agree

I have a bunch of closed backs on hand - CC, AC, Rognir planar, L5000, L3000, AWKG - and when I get around to doing a more comprehensive writeup, I’ll try to drop some comparison notes. I think, for most folks, the distinction between the CC and AC, which have some very clear characters and relative advantages, may be the most informative.

May 14, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #7,240 of 7,451

lol I was annoyed by how many people on Discord were asking me to include the CO in the comparison section of my CC review. I ended up doing it as a result, basically saying what you mentioned here, but did compensate by comparing to 6 closed-back sets immediately after :darthsmile:

May 14, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #7,241 of 7,451
I think, the CC is getting compared to the CO for three reasons:
1, both are Calderas
2, ZMF closed backs are actually able to compete with open backs
3, CC just destroys pretty much all other closed backs.

I am sure, by time we will see more closed back comparisons. But honestly, which closed backs exactly? Stellia? Stealth? Rögnir? To me there is simply no competition between those and the CC.

Yeah, I'm probably not expressing my opinion well here. I don't think there's anything wrong with comparing the CO and the CC. In fact, that's probably the first comparison I made as well (both listening and measuring). I'm just trying to level set a bit in pointing out that the CC is going to be different than the CO, since it isn't open-backed. My hope is that most folks end up looking at the CC more as "open sounding for a closed back" than "not as open sounding as an open back", which is a subtle distinction. But it's important for folks to listen and make up their own mind. And thanks so much for the kind words. It's truly appreciated.

This makes complete sense. I generally prefer open back headphones and my current situation allows for them. Plus the Caldera Open is pretty much giving me everything I’d want in a headphone. The closed back version is more of a curiosity is all. I did enjoy the closed back AT L3000 for about 12 years, so I can really enjoy a closed back when done right.

And all of that is all totally reasonable. This could be a perfect example of a situation where the CO is a better fit. It's hard to beat "giving me everything I'd want in a headphone." :)

I agree

I have a bunch of closed backs on hand - CC, AC, Rognir planar, L5000, L3000, AWKG - and when I get around to doing a more comprehensive writeup, I’ll try to drop some comparison notes. I think, for most folks, the distinction between the CC and AC, which have some very clear characters and relative advantages, may be the most informative.

Yeah, the AC and CC is an interesting one. Two quite different sounding closed-back headphones. I expect that there will be fans of each, for quite different reasons. Having options is fun. :wink:

May 14, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #7,242 of 7,451
One thing is for sure. For ZMF to create exceptional TOTL headphones in both open and closed back is a stunning achievement. I don't know of any other headphone company that has managed to do that :)

May 14, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #7,243 of 7,451
Yeah, I'm probably not expressing my opinion well here. I don't think there's anything wrong with comparing the CO and the CC. In fact, that's probably the first comparison I made as well (both listening and measuring). I'm just trying to level set a bit in pointing out that the CC is going to be different than the CO, since it isn't open-backed. My hope is that most folks end up looking at the CC more as "open sounding for a closed back" than "not as open sounding as an open back", which is a subtle distinction. But it's important for folks to listen and make up their own mind. And thanks so much for the kind words. It's truly appreciated.

And all of that is all totally reasonable. This could be a perfect example of a situation where the CO is a better fit. It's hard to beat "giving me everything I'd want in a headphone." :)

Yeah, the AC and CC is an interesting one. Two quite different sounding closed-back headphones. I expect that there will be fans of each, for quite different reasons. Having options is fun. :wink:
I'm finding the CC and AC to be wonderful complements to each other, as they have such differing strengths and weaknesses.

May 14, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #7,244 of 7,451
One thing is for sure. For ZMF to create exceptional TOTL headphones in both open and closed back is a stunning achievement. I don't know of any other headphone company that has managed to do that :)
I agree. The Caldera Closed and Caldera Open are both unmistakably TOTLs in sound quality. I've heard quite a few planars, also own/owned any number of them. These 2 really stand out.

I don't own as many ZMF headphones as some here, so can't compare the Caldera Closed to the AC or VC. I guess those comparisons would be quite interesting to many here.

May 14, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #7,245 of 7,451
I agree. The Caldera Closed and Caldera Open are both unmistakably TOTLs in sound quality. I've heard quite a few planars, also own/owned any number of them. These 2 really stand out.
As someone who has been looking for a closed-back planar to complement my dynamic-driver TOTL ZMFs, the Caldera Closed is the answer to my wishes!

My first high-end closed-back headphone was the Audeze LCD-XC. While it is an excellent headphone with some admirable qualities and I REALLY, REALLY wanted to love it, I ultimately couldn’t get past some tonality challenges that were deal-breakers for me personally.

To have Zach and team produce a TOTL planar that will work with at least one of my amps, is likely to be perfect for my tastes in timbre and FR, and matches up with my cable loom AND fits in with my other headphones- I could not ask for more. ❤️

If I weren’t being picky about wood choices and aesthetics vs my other ZMFs, I’d order now. But waiting to both meet folks at CanJam SoCal, try the CCs in person, and choosing something (hopefully) extra special at the show and taking it home after… that’s too much of a golden opportunity to pass up. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back