ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 13, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #466 of 873
I'm going to have to pick up a pair of RCA interconnects pretty soon here so I can listen to the Aegis when it arrives. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Nothing wrong with AliExpress. The selection is outstanding, especially in price range.
Downside? Shipping/wait times. Pure definition of snail mail.

May 13, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #468 of 873
I would prefer not to break the bank, but I'm open to options in any of those price brackets.
I really like Lessloss cables, but like anything in audio, synergy is king.

Lessloss cables are warm, spacious with excellent staging depth. Not cheap.

Amplifier Surgery makes some good, inexpensive (relatively) cables, but silver plated. Not bright, nor strident etched or bass light. I have a pair of their balanced cables running into my Violectric. Better synergy than the Lessloss, which I use on my Airmid.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #469 of 873
For a little more $, but still reasonable, Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid (interwoven copper / silver) interconnect cables are outstanding. [I have three sets: RCA --> RCA, XLR --> XLR, XLR --> RCA.]

May 13, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #470 of 873
For a little more $, but still reasonable, Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid (interwoven copper / silver) interconnect cables are outstanding. [I have three sets: RCA --> RCA, XLR --> XLR, XLR --> RCA.]
Can you plz send me a link to their hybrid interconnects? I can only find Claire (all copper) IC only.

Thank you

May 13, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #471 of 873
Can you plz send me a link to their hybrid interconnects? I can only find Claire (all copper) IC only.

Thank you
You are right! I purchased mine about 1-1/2 years ago. I guess that @Matez stopped making the NH interconnects 😒.

May 14, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #473 of 873
Yep 230v shipping straight from cayin. I'll have an update tomorrow regarding that, or at least @BooUrns will.

Cayin Europe?
If I have the opportunity to buy an Aegis from the EU, I'll go for it straight away!

May 14, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #474 of 873
I'm going to have to pick up a pair of RCA interconnects pretty soon here so I can listen to the Aegis when it arrives. Does anyone have any recommendations?
This may or may not appeal to you but, just to put it out there in case anyone else finds it of interest.

I opted to build my own RCA and if you don't mind soldering, it will reward you with some amazing cables. The best cable I've tried, both built and bought, is the Neotech NEMOI - 1220. It's a pure silver cable but it's not a bright airy thing that is often associated with silver cables. Quite the opposite in fact. It has a very rich sound with deep tight bass with a deep soundstage... very detailed but not fatiguing in any way. I paired it with Aero pure silver RCA plugs which can take a very thick cable, which this is. It's a very well designed cable with triple shielding that really does cut down on brightness, interference. The cable works out at £33 for 25cm and about £150 for 4x Aero pure silver RCA's.

It still works out a lot of £ for a pair of 1m cables but performs better than commercial cables costing 4-5 times the amount. I've owned Tellurium Q Silver Ultra XLR & RCA cables and personally, in my system, I'd opt for the NEMOI 1220 with Aeco over these every time. I ended up selling my TQ cables.

Edit… pic. Add some cable cover and you end up with a smart set of cables

IMG_6766.jpeg

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #475 of 873
This is probably a silly question, but are all the output tubes listed on the Aegis product page (6V6, 6L6, EL34, EL37, KT66, KT77, KT88, 6550) plug-and-play compatible with the amp without adapters? In general, I'd prefer not to mess with adapters at first. Then again, I still have some nice EL84s left over from when I had the Quicksilver amp, so it might be worth investing in an adapter so I'll be able to use those tubes. What exactly would that adapter be called? EL84 to what?

May 14, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #476 of 873
This is probably a silly question, but are all the output tubes listed on the Aegis product page (6V6, 6L6, EL34, EL37, KT66, KT77, KT88, 6550) plug-and-play compatible with the amp without adapters? In general, I'd prefer not to mess with adapters at first. Then again, I still have some nice EL84s left over from when I had the Quicksilver amp, so it might be worth investing in an adapter so I'll be able to use those tubes. What exactly would that adapter be called? EL84 to what?

The power tubes referenced above: 6V6, 6L6, EL34, EL37, KT66, KT77, KT88, 6550 all work without adapters. They are all pin-compatible.

May 14, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #477 of 873

Yeah those are all plug and play without adapters. The only catch is with some of the lower power tubes (like 6V6), you might want to use a higher voltage drop rectifier than the stock GZ34, for example 5U4, 5R4, or 5Y3. This will extend the life of the 6V6. All of the others are high power tubes and will be fine with any rectifier.

EL84 can be used with an EL84 to 6V6 adapter. Or EL84 to 6L6, EL34, they all adapt the same as this family of pentodes / beam tetrodes have the same pinout. Again, can run EL84 with a GZ34, but they will be biased pretty hot, may want to use 5U4, 5R4, 5Y3, etc. You can get some nice rectifiers cheaply, less than $50 a pop.

May 14, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #478 of 873
Yeah those are all plug and play without adapters. The only catch is with some of the lower power tubes (like 6V6), you might want to use a higher voltage drop rectifier than the stock GZ34, for example 5U4, 5R4, or 5Y3. This will extend the life of the 6V6. All of the others are high power tubes and will be fine with any rectifier.

EL84 can be used with an EL84 to 6V6 adapter. Or EL84 to 6L6, EL34, they all adapt the same as this family of pentodes / beam tetrodes have the same pinout. Again, can run EL84 with a GZ34, but they will be biased pretty hot, may want to use 5U4, 5R4, 5Y3, etc. You can get some nice rectifiers cheaply, less than $50 a pop.
Thanks for the info! Is there any downside to using EL84s or 6V6 output tubes in the Aegis. I don't see too many posts about using these tubes. I assume it lowers the output power of the amp, but are the higher-powered output tubes considered superior sonically as well?

May 14, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #479 of 873
Thanks for the info! Is there any downside to using EL84s or 6V6 output tubes in the Aegis. I don't see too many posts about using these tubes. I assume it lowers the output power of the amp, but are the higher-powered output tubes considered superior sonically as well?

I think it's a matter of flavor. The only person I know who has used EL84 in Aegis is @goldwerger . Generally though, lower power / current tubes are going to have lower peak power output and a slightly higher output impedance. My very limited experience using 6V6 in Aegis is they don't quite compete with the higher power tubes like EL34 / EL37 in terms of soundstage, clarity, etc. but they have their own enjoyable sound and great tone. The 6V6 I used were the Mazda 6V6GT.

As far as the power output, with peak output being less, probably isn't going to be noticeable with 99% of headphones, only place where it MIGHT matter is with the really demanding stuff, like Susvara and Tungsten. But I think that would need to be confirmed, I don't own either so I can't test myself, it might be just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back