Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
May 10, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #1,561 of 1,575
headphones.jpeg

So...... I just found these

Jun 8, 2024 at 4:36 AM Post #1,564 of 1,575
Big shout out to @Uncle Wilson of Jaben Singapore for getting this across to me earlier today. Just thought I would share some unboxing photos first. :)
IMG_5656.jpeg
IMG_5658.jpeg

IMG_5660.jpeg
IMG_5663.jpeg
IMG_5665.jpeg
IMG_5666.jpeg
IMG_5667.jpeg
IMG_5668.jpeg
IMG_5671.jpeg
Of

Attachments

• IMG_5656.jpeg
    IMG_5656.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Jun 8, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #1,566 of 1,575
Thanks! I am surprised that this flagship HP from Yamaha does not have more awareness or more opportunity for demos. Hence, I am glad that @Uncle Wilson from Jaben Singapore has brought in stock and has a demo unit on offer. :)

My initial impressions on the YH-5000SE is how big the soundstage is, rather how tall it is, And the transparency and layering. Of course, the flip side is it is not very forgiving of badly recorded material. I do love it with jazz vocals like Stacy Kent. The other observation I have is that the speed. It is almost like an electrostatic presentation. But with bass to boot. :)

I suspect when I put on the Yahama DAC/amp, I will get to “hear” the changes in audio chain. :)

Jun 8, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #1,567 of 1,575
I am surprised that this flagship HP from Yamaha does not have more awareness or more opportunity for demos.
Definitely, I think so too. It doesn't help that Yamaha doesn't really market these headphones readily, or at least compared to other manufacturers. On top of that, they are picky with gear (ime). And with some people, they'd look at their graph, draw conclusions based on that, and label them as the whole story.

Why many audiophiles aren't paying attention to something so lightweight, comfortable, premium, well-engineered, and innovative is beyond me. Instead, some are so focused on why a certain HP is priced at $8k with what seems to be minimal engineering changes, when you have a more deserving headphone here that attempts to make a case for its high-end price tag. Anyway, I digress a bit...

It is almost like an electrostatic presentation. But with bass to boot. :)
I am, to this day, still very impressed with how resolving and musically engaging they are. They do everything well with hardly any compromises (again imo).

I suspect when I put on the Yahama DAC/amp, I will get to “hear” the changes in audio chain. :)
Although I haven't heard it, I'd still stick with separates if you can swing it. There's only so much you can do with an all-in-one because they're more compromised by nature. This DAC/amp isn't even part of their flagship 5000 series lineup.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #1,568 of 1,575
Definitely, I think so too. It doesn't help that Yamaha doesn't really market these headphones readily, or at least compared to other manufacturers. On top of that, they are picky with gear (ime). And with some people, they'd look at their graph, draw conclusions based on that, and label them as the whole story.

Why many audiophiles aren't paying attention to something so lightweight, comfortable, premium, well-engineered, and innovative is beyond me. Instead, some are so focused on why a certain HP is priced at $8k with what seems to be minimal engineering changes, when you have a more deserving headphone here that attempts to make a case for its high-end price tag. Anyway, I digress a bit...

I am, to this day, still very impressed with how resolving and musically engaging they are. They do everything well with hardly any compromises (again imo).

Although I haven't heard it, I'd still stick with separates if you can swing it. There's only so much you can do with an all-in-one because they're more compromised by nature. This DAC/amp isn't even part of their flagship 5000 series lineup.
Agree that Yamaha seems to be pretty languid in their marketing efforts.

I just switched my Hyperion Ge to low gain for this output. And again, the character of the YH-5000SE changes. The vocals are no longer as “raw” or forward.

Haha! I agree. There is a reason why the Senn HE-1 does not attract me as much as the Orpheus: I am limited by the All in One build of the HE-1. I will give the Yamaha HA-L7A a run out because @Uncle Wilson of Jaben SG kindly sent over a set. In the name of science. For those who may not be so inclined to have separates like I prefer to have. :)

I recall that Yamaha developed this headphone amp from ground up to complement the YH-5000SE. https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/headphones/ha-l7a/index.html

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #1,569 of 1,575
Agree that Yamaha seems to be pretty languid in their marketing efforts.

I just switched my Hyperion Ge to low gain for this output. And again, the character of the YH-5000SE changes. The vocals are no longer as “raw” or forward.

Haha! I agree. There is a reason why the Senn HE-1 does not attract me as much as the Orpheus: I am limited by the All in One build of the HE-1. I will give the Yamaha HA-L7A a run out because @Uncle Wilson of Jaben SG kindly sent over a set. In the name of science. For those who may not be so inclined to have separates like I prefer to have. :)

I recall that Yamaha developed this headphone amp from ground up to complement the YH-5000SE. https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/headphones/ha-l7a/index.html
What pads are you using?

Science. The best excuse to try out new gear lol

Btw, your amp looks quite interesting too. Not many high-end SS amps out there.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #1,570 of 1,575
What pads are you using?

Science. The best excuse to try out new gear lol

Btw, your amp looks quite interesting too. Not many high-end SS amps out there.

I am using the default leather ear pads right now.

Hahah! Indeed! That’s the aim of the hobby: discovery. :)

Thanks! That is the SAEQ Hyperion Ge. Very powerful amp which uses germanium transistors. It has a lush and tube like sound signature. But yet with the advantages of SS. It was also very transparent with good soundstage and layering.

Jun 8, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #1,571 of 1,575
Found some time this Sunday morning to unbox the Yamaha HA-L7A (courtesy of @Uncle Wilson of Jaben SG). Just started listening and setting it up. So many options. 🤭

IMG_5677.jpeg

IMG_5679.jpeg

IMG_5685.jpeg
IMG_5686.jpeg
IMG_5687.jpeg
IMG_5689.jpeg
IMG_5691.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5683.jpeg
    IMG_5683.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Jun 8, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #1,572 of 1,575
I will say that, its odd shape notwithstanding, the HA-L7A does sound good out of the box. It has a slightly delicate sound which allows the YH-5000SE to flourish. :)

IMG_5694.jpeg

Jun 8, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #1,573 of 1,575
Yamaha sure doesn't try to impress you with their packaging. I like how the L7A comes in a shoebox lol

Very happy to see another all-in-one with analog inputs. Maybe this could eventually replace my Tazzy (which unfortunately is still nicer-looking though).

Jun 8, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #1,574 of 1,575
Haha! Well, I did not show all the various layers inside that box. But it is certainly more thoughtful than the box that the Holo Spring 3 KTE came in. :wink:

Heheh! Oh well… Sony does do well with their designs. My TAZ is still doing well. I managed to snag the last one in the wild from the Sony Store a couple of years back. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back