XM5 BUFDAC portable amp released.
Jan 10, 2008 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

MaxAmplitude

Member of the Trade: Practical Devices
A heads-up: Practical Devices finally released the XM5.

Arguably the most stuff ever squeezed into a portable.

More details to follow.

Details & Specs: Practical Devices Corporation
Pictures: XM5 Picture Gallery

black_front_300x179.jpg

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 23
The XM5 operates as a Full Speed device (12Mbit/s). Full Speed is part of both USB1.1 and USB2.0 specs, so it'll work the same on 1.1 as 2.0. Two-channel audio doesn't come close to saturating 12Mbits of bus speed.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 23
Interesting. So what battery does it come with and does it include the charger? What dac does it use?
What is the run time?

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. So what battery does it come with and does it include the charger? What dac does it use?
What is the run time?

Hum. Several of these questions can be answered by following the links in post #1 to the Practical Devices Web site. There's a huge amount of information there.

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DennyL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hum. Several of these questions can be answered by following the links in post #1 to the Practical Devices Web site. There's a huge amount of information there.

I went there but it wasn't clear to me if the unit comes with a battery and charger. So if it doesn't come with a battery I guess a 9 volt is what is used and is there something different about the charger?

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 23
Forget it.
My questions were to hard for you to answer I guess...

Thx

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #10 of 23
I'll be reviewing this in February, against the HeadRoom 2006 Total Bithead, RSA Predator, and HeadAmp Pico.
smily_headphones1.gif

If I'm lucky I might be able to procure even more DAC/amp products to stack up against...

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 23
Looks like a nice amp!

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 23
Ok, I have read over the information. Very impressive.

Does it have an internal charging circuit? I am still not clear on the lithium and charger you can buy. Can any charger work if the correct voltage and minimum mA and will it run from an exterior power source like a charger/wall wart?

I also find it interesting that rather than smd most of the resistors and caps are lead type, which would seem to entail more time/labor.

Many options with the amp/dac.

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #13 of 23
The charging circuit is in the AC adapter. So the options are:

1) Alkaline battery, with no external AC adapter, or,
2) Lithium-Ion battery, with PracticalDevices AC adapter (it is matched to the battery, so you can't just use any wallwart). This is $25USD, which is pretty well at our cost.
3) No battery, and any wallwart less than 15V.

Option2 is the easiest IMHO, since recharge only takes an hour, you can use it while it's plugged in, and you can leave it plugged in indefinitely.

Option3 might be suitable for the hardcore modder, who uses some exotic amp or buffer chips which need alot of headroom.

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #14 of 23
Great, sounds like some very good options and yes you are right the price for the charger and battery is very good.

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #15 of 23
I was stunned by this, just curious about the dac chip and tolerance of parts used.

Pls use the same allen screw as with XM4
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back