Woo's New Flagship WA33
May 13, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #2,686 of 3,214
I’ll have to research the homo may Dac abit more, I do see the flagship is the KTE, idk if that’s short for kitsune which looks to be another upgrade ? Do I also need to add a streamer?
KTE - Kitsune Tuned Edition

May 13, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #2,687 of 3,214
I’ll have to research the homo may Dac abit more, I do see the flagship is the KTE, idk if that’s short for kitsune which looks to be another upgrade ? Do I also need to add a streamer?
As mentioned: Kitsune Tuned Edition
And yes, you would need to buy a separate streamer. You can go with the Holo Audio Red which is both, a DDC & streamer.

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #2,688 of 3,214
@HiFiGuy528

Could I ask, what is the total current draw for both channels of the WA33, including both input/driver tubes and output tubes?

Jun 21, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #2,690 of 3,214
I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times, but which amp would you all recommend for Susvara, Expanse, D8000 Pro, and Meze Elite? I'm trying to choose between the WA-33 and Feliks Envy. I have a WA-22 currently that I love to death, but it's a bit underpowered for planars. The upgrade bug keeps biting though, so I'm trying to decide on what will (hopefully!) be my end of the road headphone amp for a year or two.

I'm leaning towards the WA-33 because it's a tube rectifier amp, but I do like that Envy uses 300b tubes.

Decisions, decisions.

Jun 21, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #2,691 of 3,214
It’s a tough decision. I lack the audiophile vocabulary to succinctly explain the differences. Plus English is a second language so that doesn’t help.

The Envy with the 300’s has a bigger soundstage. That’s one of the first things you notice. The mids are a bit more forward on the WA33.

I’ve been playing with different tubes so that doesn’t help in making direct comparisons but I would give the edge to my WA33 on smoothness. It never distorts with my Susvara but the Envy on certain EDA music will distort the bass with my susvara when played loud. But I really like the timbre and presentation of the Envy a bit better.

I think if the WA33 used 300’s that would be perfect for me.

It’s also worth mentioning that the Envy stays relatively cool and plays optimally within 15 minutes. The WA33 take a good solid hour before it sounds at its optimal and gets very hot. My room stays warm in the winter thanks to the amp.

Jun 22, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #2,692 of 3,214
I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times, but which amp would you all recommend for Susvara, Expanse, D8000 Pro, and Meze Elite? I'm trying to choose between the WA-33 and Feliks Envy. I have a WA-22 currently that I love to death, but it's a bit underpowered for planars. The upgrade bug keeps biting though, so I'm trying to decide on what will (hopefully!) be my end of the road headphone amp for a year or two.

I'm leaning towards the WA-33 because it's a tube rectifier amp, but I do like that Envy uses 300b tubes.

Decisions, decisions.
You should definitely consider the WA23 Luna. I have tried the above mentioned headphones except the D8000 with the Luna and I thought it provided the most refined and engaging listen vs WA33, Feliks Envy and even the Riviera AIC10. The Luna is a phenomenal amp and an even better pre-amplifier. It has a higher quality and extended bass heft and definition than the others and has incredible imaging. It won't beat the others for sheer raw power, but is a very dynamic and fun amp with great refinement especially when matched with a great DAC.

Jun 22, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #2,693 of 3,214

Decisions, decisions.
I have no first hand experience with the Wa33 but the Envy is an excellent fit for the mentioned headphones.

Tubes are A LOT cheaper on the Envy since you only need a pair and not a quad.
Also drivers are very limited on the Wa33 and the "best" option costs like 2 grand.

It’s a tough decision. I lack the audiophile vocabulary to succinctly explain the differences. Plus English is a second language so that doesn’t help.

The Envy with the 300’s has a bigger soundstage. That’s one of the first things you notice. The mids are a bit more forward on the WA33.

I’ve been playing with different tubes so that doesn’t help in making direct comparisons but I would give the edge to my WA33 on smoothness. It never distorts with my Susvara but the Envy on certain EDA music will distort the bass with my susvara when played loud. But I really like the timbre and presentation of the Envy a bit better.

I think if the WA33 used 300’s that would be perfect for me.

It’s also worth mentioning that the Envy stays relatively cool and plays optimally within 15 minutes. The WA33 take a good solid hour before it sounds at its optimal and gets very hot. My room stays warm in the winter thanks to the amp.
Thx for the small comparison.
You should definitely consider the WA23 Luna. I have tried the above mentioned headphones except the D8000 with the Luna and I thought it provided the most refined and engaging listen vs WA33, Feliks Envy and even the Riviera AIC10. The Luna is a phenomenal amp and an even better pre-amplifier. It has a higher quality and extended bass heft and definition than the others and has incredible imaging. It won't beat the others for sheer raw power, but is a very dynamic and fun amp with great refinement especially when matched with a great DAC.
At the Munich high end I could listen to Wa23 and Envy side by side and came to the opposite conclusion. To me the Envy did sound more refined and engaging.

However show conditions are far from ideal for a comparison of that kind

Jul 30, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #2,694 of 3,214
Hi everyone,

Anyone knows if there's a hifi store in the Seattle area that might have a WA33 for demo? I am kind of afraid to purchase it blindly due to it's high price.

Thanks!

Jul 31, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #2,695 of 3,214
Has anybody tried the Tak 2A3s with their WA33.? I feel like my KR 2A3s could probably go any day now (it's been like 4 years). How do they differ from the KRs? Is lifespan an issue like with their rectifer on the WA33?

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #2,696 of 3,214
I have had mine running for one year. No issues at all so far. I have used RCA 2A3 Black Plates, EML 2A3 Mesh and EML 300B 2.5v and the Taks are superior to all. I only have experience with the KR 274B not the 2A3 so unable to compare. I have begun to believe that the WA33 simply has an appetite for rectifiers. I have lost two Tak 274Bs(at 13 and 15 months) and the current Elrog ER5U4G is crazy noisy and probably not long for this world. Since Elrog has already stated that no warranty claims will be honored if the tube is used in a Wa33 I will just use it until it blows. As for the Tak 2A3, considering the timeline for the 274Bs the next six months will tell if the 2A3s suffer from the same planned? obsolescence.

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #2,698 of 3,214
Why would a well known manufacturer of tubes stated that, specifically in relation to the WA33?
The Wa33 drives tubes very hard, which has negative consequences on tube life and reliability.

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #2,699 of 3,214
They claim that the WA33 operates the ER5U4G out of spec. Woo also does not recommend the Elrog as they do not recommend any tube that "flashes" upon startup.
All this information came out after I had already purchased the tube.

Jul 31, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #2,700 of 3,214
The Wa33 drives tubes very hard, which has negative consequences on tube life and reliability.
I presumed this when I asked... the question (put naïvely) is then how the el-circuit is designed, and is it supposed to be that way at all, when it comes to headphone amps...

Tubes being a part of the electrical circuit, in this case an (headphone) amplifier, should be, by the design of the circuit, allowed to operate (well?) within certain of their parameters.
How much these tubes (of the same designation) can differ in their listed specs, well, I have not checked that at all, but, nevertheless...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back