Why We Switched Forum Platforms
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #16 of 104
This quote unfortunately represents my views perfectly. I was very surprised when I logged on and saw the switch, and I was baffled when I saw no mention of it anywhere. Talk about no warning beforehand, how about the fact that there was no visible notice afterwards? I think there should have been a post a week or two beforehand advising us of what to expect. I get that this was a necessary move, but it could have been handled much better.

That being said, I will be sticking around. I hope a dark-mode is one of the first features added. This white mode is blinding and makes it hard to read long threads. I think it would be helpful if you posted a list of features that are being worked on and in what order so we know what to expect.

Again, as I said to @Slaphead, I truly understand where you're coming from. Since your feelings echo his, please do read my response to him by clicking here.

As I also said to him, @jeremy205100, we are sincerely glad that despite your feelings you've chosen to stick around.

May 5, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #17 of 104
Where can I find my subscriptions?
in the top right hand corner underneath where it says 'welcome back (then your username) you'll see the word subscriptions and then the options 'unread' or 'all' - just choose 'all' to find your old subscriptions or 'unread' for those you haven't seen the latest replies to

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #18 of 104
I don't know what kind of contractual arrangements you had with Huddler/Wikia, but they certainly were very disadvantageous for Head-fi. A reasonably good lawyer could have bought you guys enough time to do things properly. Too late for recrimination though, just hope things will continue to slowly improve. Still sorely miss the "search within thread" feature, probably the most useful one, for now completely gone... And generally searches have become a real pain.

May 5, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #19 of 104
Jude, great to hear traffic has remained strong. I mostly read/post on Samsung tablet on desk top setting. Found the subscriptions. It would be nice if the "button" was larger and not crammed in so close to private messages and alerts. I don't understand alerts. If I use it, some subscription comments aren't reported.

Stay positive. It will all work out. Head-fi will improve and grow.

May 5, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #20 of 104
Thank you for the explanation. I knew that it could not be your fault, you are nice, smart and much more positive than this. May the powers that be in Huddler/Wiki live in the same corner of hell reserved for the cell phone programmers
that keep my cell phone less convenient with every update! Though I had resolved to leave, I will stick it out with you.
:)

May 5, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #21 of 104
I'd offer to help but my IT experience is a mix between this:
4463d682735d1cb300ce7e5032c9128e3dd4a553f5a2fc44273e07f8a3ae07bd.jpg

and this:
"look out honey cause I'm using technology"

May 5, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #22 of 104
Jude- I know you have a monumental undertaking going on right now. I also know you will be able to continue providing this community both excellent material and you will work through it . Wishing you much success with the new platform.

May 5, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #23 of 104
Thank you for the explanation. I knew that it could not be your fault, you are nice, smart and much more positive than this. May the powers that be in Huddler/Wiki live in the same corner of hell reserved for the cell phone programmers
that keep my cell phone less convenient with every update! Though I had resolved to leave, I will stick it out with you.
:)
I don't know what kind of contractual arrangements you had with Huddler/Wikia, but they certainly were very disadvantageous for Head-fi. A reasonably good lawyer could have bought you guys enough time to do things properly. Too late for recrimination though, just hope things will continue to slowly improve...

Actually, @Douger333 and @jeffhawke, it was a very amicable parting of ways. Huddler/Wikia have been amazing business/strategic partners for over seven years. Their team worked closely with our team on this transition, and we're actually still working with them as we wind the partnership down. I've got nothing but gratitude for the way they worked with us throughout the partnership, through to the very end.

To be clear, the biggest challenges we're facing are related to the fact that the Huddler platform was very good, with a very thorough set of customized features, and trying to port everything over is very challenging when those exact features and custom bits-and-pieces have no counterparts on the receiving platform. Wikia's team has helped us as much as they reasonably can.

And, yes, things will improve (and have been improving)--but we hope we've been doing (and continue to do) better than "slowly" in this regard.

...Still sorely miss the "search within thread" feature, probably the most useful one, for now completely gone... And generally searches have become a real pain.

Regarding search-within-a-thread: It's coming back soon. Very soon.

Regarding searches in general, try this for now, and see if it helps:

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #24 of 104
The past 16 years have been good fun.

A forum platform change is just a minor adjustment on the way to the next 16 years of fun...

Bring it on! :) :) :)

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #25 of 104
Thank you for this article. I appreciate Head-fi, the community (well, most of it), and the opportunities this site gives your average Joe. Yup, I didn't like the changes at first and still have issues with a few minor things (shading and color pallets are overwhelming for my color-blind eyes, some menu layouts, etc.), but as I explore and find new features (Multi-paged PMs? Yes please!) and see old features return, the potential for the New Head-fi platform is pretty clear. Off to a bit of a rocky start, but I'm both excited and looking forward to seeing how things develop :beerchug:.

May 5, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #26 of 104
Actually, @Douger333 and @jeffhawke, it was a very amicable parting of ways. Huddler/Wikia have been amazing business/strategic partners for over seven years. Their team worked closely with our team on this transition, and we're actually still working with them as we wind the partnership down. I've got nothing but gratitude for the way they worked with us throughout the partnership, through to the very end.

To be clear, the biggest challenges we're facing are related to the fact that the Huddler platform was very good, with a very thorough set of customized features, and trying to port everything over is very challenging when those exact features and custom bits-and-pieces have no counterparts on the receiving platform. Wikia's team has helped us as much as they reasonably can.

And, yes, things will improve (and have been improving)--but we hope we've been doing (and continue to do) better than "slowly" in this regard.

Regarding search-within-a-thread: It's coming back soon. Very soon.

Regarding searches in general, try this for now, and see if it helps:

Thanks for the reassurances and for the form. Can't help from wondering though, if it was that amicable, how come Huddler/Wikia did not give you guys extra time to do things a little more comfortably? Or a little more advance notice, or both?

May 5, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #30 of 104
But you said that you had a few months to make sure that the new site was designed well in a post in a different thread @jude
I wanted to say a quick word about why we made the platform change: We had to. I love the Huddler forum platform, and still feel it's the best forum platform out there. However, we were informed that Huddler would be phased out over the next months, and so the Huddler platform (along with our long partnership with Huddler/Wikia) would be coming to an end. So, for those of you who suggested that we roll this back to Huddler, now you understand why we can't. I believe someone also suggested we license Huddler: That was not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back