Which headphone has the best vocals under $2000?
Mar 22, 2024 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

frostyforst

New Head-Fier
Hi I want to buy a headphone that has the best vocal for pop songs. Think something like an Adele song. I don’t really put too much value on the instruments but I would like as much clarity and details on the vocals. Also I don’t really want to hear the vocal sound like it is coming from inside my head, ideally should sound like it’s coming from a stage (not sure if that’s contradictive with clarity). I dont put much value in the strength of base (like feeling the base of a big speakers in the chest kind of thing).

I'm a complete newbie so I did as much research as possible but it still seems like there are so many choices. Currently I am testing some loaned equipment, a fiio k7 amp with HD800s and HD660s2.

The 660 sounds like very claustrophobic, not really a fan (also not that comfortable, clamp too much).

The HD800s is much better in that respect, like an open room. But I find the vocal doesn't stand out not sure why. The instruments are crystal clear though.

Please help! I dont have the right lingo as a newbie so I hope the description makes sense. Also let me know if it requires a special amp. Thank you!!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 16
ZMF Auteur is my vote.

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 16
Hi
I have listened Denon AH D9200 (this one i have), HIFIman HE1000 v2 stealth, Arya Organic. The Audivina and Sennheizer as well. Although did not lsten them as long as the HE1000 stealth and Arya Organic.
All of them were presenting the vocals in a very pleasant way.
20240213_131800.jpg

Mar 24, 2024 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 16
Hi
I like Denon for everything, but will now change it for the Hifiman because of the Hifiman's comfort and a bit bigger sound stage or spaciousness of the sound.
For sure both are worth the try. So if you can try them out somewhere, do that. You might like it. My opinion.
It could be, that you can find the Denons now cheaper. At least in NL, some stores are selling them for just 1080 euro. It was 1520 euro.

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 16
This what I am going to do.
Order the HE1000V2 stealth.
Right now I use the Singxer SDA2, it's 3 Watts or something like that. Should be enough.
Although I did listend the HE on Feliks Audio Elise and was surprised how good it sounded. Just bit more volume than for the Denon and music was flowing.
I am planning to get tube headphone amp, build by one guy in Poland, specially made for planars.
This the plan, is it going to happen, will see. Might find something else in the meantime.

Attachments

• 20240213_131751.jpg
    20240213_131751.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #10 of 16
Is it what you use?
How is it performing?
Could you compare it with some other headphones?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 16
Hi I want to buy a headphone that has the best vocal for pop songs. Think something like an Adele song. I don’t really put too much value on the instruments but I would like as much clarity and details on the vocals. Also I don’t really want to hear the vocal sound like it is coming from inside my head, ideally should sound like it’s coming from a stage (not sure if that’s contradictive with clarity). I dont put much value in the strength of base (like feeling the base of a big speakers in the chest kind of thing).

I'm a complete newbie so I did as much research as possible but it still seems like there are so many choices. Currently I am testing some loaned equipment, a fiio k7 amp with HD800s and HD660s2.

The 660 sounds like very claustrophobic, not really a fan (also not that comfortable, clamp too much).

The HD800s is much better in that respect, like an open room. But I find the vocal doesn't stand out not sure why. The instruments are crystal clear though.

Please help! I dont have the right lingo as a newbie so I hope the description makes sense. Also let me know if it requires a special amp. Thank you!!
1. You can change the clamp force of the Senn HD600 line by fully extending the ear cups and carefully bending just the metal parts until you get a comfortable fit. Very easily done. You just don't want to bend at the plastic headband, or it might snap.

2. Nothing really beats the vocals on the Senn HD600 and HD650(HD6xx), but yes, their soundstage is notoriously narrow.

3. Headphones I own or have heard which have tremendously beautiful vocals on their own right:
ZMF Atticus
ZMF Auteur
HiFiMAN HE1000 Stealth
HiFiMAN Sundara

If you just want to dip your toe into this pond, don't hesitate on the Sundara. I felt it was appropriately priced at $500, but now, at $300, it's a no-brainer.

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #13 of 16
Check the headphones from Audeze, such as the LCD-X or LCD-2 Classic. They have excellent clarity and great detail, making vocals more expressive. They also have an open design, which creates a sense of space and makes the sound more natural. As for the amplifier, an amplifier from Schiit, such as Magni or Asgard, may be suitable for these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back