What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
Mar 9, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #1,187 of 1,335
Signing off from the journey
My USB journey ends with these cables (alphabetical order):
  • Inakustik Excellence High Speed USB
  • Intona Professional USB 2.0 Hi-speed REFERENCE
  • Shunyata Omega USB
  • Supra USB 2.0
Having heard an awful lot of USB cables in different setups over the years and especially the last 12 months this is it. There won’t be any more USB cables added to my line-up. :sweat_smile:

I seriously question the hyperbole around the ”boutique” cables. There seems to be almost zero correlation between price and quality when it comes to USB cables: some really expensive cables are just really, really bad and some inexpensive cables are really, really good. A certified USB cable is a great place to start.

The sonic differences between USB cables also seem to have an inverse correlation with the quality of the USB implementation in the DAC. A DAC with a great USB implementation seems to be much less affected by different cables than a poor implementation. Instead of buying more and more expensive USB cables, reclockers etc to solve a problem with a weak USB interface implementation consider using another interface.

Take care!
Of the Inakustik and Supra, which is your favourite?

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #1,188 of 1,335
Of the Inakustik and Supra, which is your favourite?
They are both nice cables but different.

The Supra 2.0. is more similar to the Shunyata with a nice tonal balance, apart from some emphasis on the lower mids which seems to be a trait of Supras tinned copper cable. Not as resolving as the Shunyata. The Inakustik is more ”perky” and fun but doesn’t have the nice tonal balance of the Supra with an upward tilt leading to a lack of weight down low. (A cable to also consider is the Supra Excalibur. It’s faster, quicker which silverplated cables tend to do but also a bit leaner than the Supra 2.0.)

My preference in a tonally well balanced system is the Supra 2.0.

Mar 18, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #1,189 of 1,335
The VMV D2R DAC is revealing/ demanding of USB cables. I have the Supra Excalibur and the Viborg, they are Type A to Type B so I can't try them into the Burson Conductor Reference SE modified with Sparkos 2590 Pro op amps, which is Type C. I had compared them into my Aune X8 which again uses the Sparkos Pro op amp in the belly gunner position, and sent this to the RCA input of the Burson Reference as the amp. In that setup both USB cables were very close. Which make the Viborg a good value and it is more flexible than the stiff Excalibur. So I had actually been using the Viborg initially with the VMV D2R DAC. And was using some 1 meter ebay XLR interconnects from that to the VMV P2 amp. But the Aune X8 is not as resolving as the VMV or the Burson. So the differences were not that distinct.

With the Viborg USB and the ebay interconnect, the VMV D2R had a very pleasant, easy, fully fleshed out sound. Whereas the Modified Burson Reference via an apparently excellent ebay type A to C cord.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/116017314734?var=416167786715

The Burson was slightly more transparent and revealing of reverberant tails. Slightly deeper, but narrower with smaller, more focused individual instruments. I was going to conclude that I liked the Burson/ Sparkos sound better but decided to try the Supra Excaliber USB with the D2R to hear what would happen. And this was a big change. The Supra is more open and see through. And this along with making up a new set of DIY 1 foot XLR cables out of 3 strands I cut apart from Nordost Heimdall bulk wire, the D2R gained back most of the transparency and detail that it needed and kept all of the robust, fleshed out, comfortable, and wide, sound signature.

So it is easy for me to recommend that the Supra Excalibur sounds excellent and is well worth the $130.

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #1,190 of 1,335
They are both nice cables but different.

The Supra 2.0. is more similar to the Shunyata with a nice tonal balance, apart from some emphasis on the lower mids which seems to be a trait of Supras tinned copper cable. Not as resolving as the Shunyata. The Inakustik is more ”perky” and fun but doesn’t have the nice tonal balance of the Supra with an upward tilt leading to a lack of weight down low. (A cable to also consider is the Supra Excalibur. It’s faster, quicker which silverplated cables tend to do but also a bit leaner than the Supra 2.0.)

My preference in a tonally well balanced system is the Supra 2.0.
Excalibur is the best I've heard/owned.

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #1,191 of 1,335
The VMV D2R DAC is revealing/ demanding of USB cables. I have the Supra Excalibur and the Viborg, they are Type A to Type B so I can't try them into the Burson Conductor Reference SE modified with Sparkos 2590 Pro op amps, which is Type C. I had compared them into my Aune X8 which again uses the Sparkos Pro op amp in the belly gunner position, and sent this to the RCA input of the Burson Reference as the amp. In that setup both USB cables were very close. Which make the Viborg a good value and it is more flexible than the stiff Excalibur. So I had actually been using the Viborg initially with the VMV D2R DAC. And was using some 1 meter ebay XLR interconnects from that to the VMV P2 amp. But the Aune X8 is not as resolving as the VMV or the Burson. So the differences were not that distinct.

With the Viborg USB and the ebay interconnect, the VMV D2R had a very pleasant, easy, fully fleshed out sound. Whereas the Modified Burson Reference via an apparently excellent ebay type A to C cord.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/116017314734?var=416167786715

The Burson was slightly more transparent and revealing of reverberant tails. Slightly deeper, but narrower with smaller, more focused individual instruments. I was going to conclude that I liked the Burson/ Sparkos sound better but decided to try the Supra Excaliber USB with the D2R to hear what would happen. And this was a big change. The Supra is more open and see through. And this along with making up a new set of DIY 1 foot XLR cables out of 3 strands I cut apart from Nordost Heimdall bulk wire, the D2R gained back most of the transparency and detail that it needed and kept all of the robust, fleshed out, comfortable, and wide, sound signature.

So it is easy for me to recommend that the Supra Excalibur sounds excellent and is well worth the $130.
Supra Excalibur runs about $100-110 on AVConnection out of Denmark. And they got it to me in the middle of bumfrick USA in 48 hours.

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #1,192 of 1,335
Just picked up the NeoTech NEUB-3020 cable and gave it a listen. Excellent detail and tonality from the 3020 but, compared to the "DaBig Genius" that I was using before [i.e. the cable that came matched with the USB Disruptor in my system] soundstage with the 3020 seems to have shrunk by a factor of 2x along all three axes. Honestly, the presentation is almost monaural--and this with the K702, which have a naturally expansive soundstage(!).

Reintroducing the DaBig Genius cable brings back vastly superior 3-dimensionality . . .

Wanted to ask if I should expect things to change/improve/expand with NEUB 3020 "burn-in" [for those of you who subscribe to such a phenomenon].

It is puzzling since I have NeoTech UPOCC copper wire throughout my system [interconnects, power cords, headphone cables] and have never experienced a narrowing of the soundstage like I seem to be getting with the NEUB-3020.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #1,193 of 1,335
Just picked up the NeoTech NEUB-3020 cable and gave it a listen. Excellent detail and tonality from the 3020 but, compared to the "daBig Genius" that I was using before [i.e. the cable that came matched with the USB Disruptor in my system] soundstage with the 3020 seems to have shrunk by a factor of 2x along all three axes. Honestly, the presentation is almost monaural--and this with the K702, which have a naturally expansive soundstage(!).

Wanted to ask if I should expect things to change/improve/expand with "burn-in" [for those of you who subscribe to such a phenomenon].

It is puzzling since I have NeoTech UPOCC copper wire throughout my system [interconnects, power cords, headphone cables] and have never experienced a narrowing of the soundstage like I seem to have with the NEUB-3020.
I have Neo Tech UPOCC throughout my amp and power cables myself and it's excellent, but, I had heard their USB wasnt special.
My recommendation would be to return/flip that and order a Supra Excalibur from AV-Connection for $101/93Eur for a 2m and call it a day.

Or keep the Disruptor which might just be all-that.

Mar 22, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #1,194 of 1,335
Undoubtedly, and given my current set-up, the DaBig Genius cable betters the NEUB 3020 in practically every respect.
Guess I didn't realize just how good I [already] had it!
Might try the Supra Excalibur, but I have a feeling that the synergy designed into the USB Disruptor/daBig Genius coupling will be very difficult to beat.
Thank you for the feedback!

Link to USB Disruptor/DaBig Genius information:

https://usbdisruptor.com/dabiggenius-audiophile-usb-cable/

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #1,195 of 1,335
Undoubtedly, and given my current set-up, the DaBig Genius cable betters the NEUB 3020 in practically every respect.
Guess I didn't realize just how good I [already] had it!
Might try the Supra Excalibur, but I have a feeling that the synergy designed into the USB Disruptor/daBig Genius coupling will be very difficult to beat.
Thank you for the feedback!

Link to USB Disruptor/DaBig Genius information:

https://usbdisruptor.com/dabiggenius-audiophile-usb-cable/
Plug the Excalibur into the Disrupter :beerchug:

Mar 22, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #1,198 of 1,335
If I missed it I do apologize but was there a comparison between the Supra USB and AQ cinnamon? I remember a few folks mentioning it but don't remember reading any 1-1 comparisons.

I still need to get an Excalibur to see if my years of straight Supra use would have been bettered!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 23, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #1,200 of 1,335
If I missed it I do apologize but was there a comparison between the Supra USB and AQ cinnamon? I remember a few folks mentioning it but don't remember reading any 1-1 comparisons.

I still need to get an Excalibur to see if my years of straight Supra use would have been bettered!

Cheers!!
Passion for Sound the Australian? Dude said Excalibur was better or the same sound quality wise as Audioquest Carbon and Curious Usb...

I haven't tried Audioquest usb other than the Dragontail that is carbon.

But I reckon that Supra is the best, the Excalibur series is their High End cable.

While Audioquest try to own all the market, with alot of cables in different price range.

Whilst Supra has one affordable high speed Usb, and one high end Excalibur with Silver, shielded separate volt and very nice plugs..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back