What does the HE90 sound like?
Jan 25, 2007 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

braillediver

Headphoneus Supremus
I’m finally getting to hear the HE90’s and they are truly amazing with the Aristaeus.

I’m trying to understand what I’m hearing and trying to figure out how each component influences the sound.

Do the HE90’s have their own unique sound? What do they sound like?

Thanks Mitch

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 31
This is a thread where only a few could answer.

For people who don't own the setup and have heard the HE90+HEV90/Aristaeus, was it hard going back to their own systems?

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’m finally getting to hear the HE90’s and they are truly amazing with the Aristaeus.

I’m trying to understand what I’m hearing and trying to figure out how each component influences the sound.

Do the HE90’s have their own unique sound? What do they sound like?

Thanks Mitch

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, as I've never actually heard any headphones in the HE90 line, but from my experience demoing other cans, I can at least suggest that if you know you're definitly going to hear the phones in the near future, you shouldn't inquire about the sound signature. To me, it creates a sort of in-your-head bias, as you put the 'phones on expecting something, and to some extent, you can trick yourself into agreeing with what others have previously concluded. For example, if my friend were to ask me if I wanted to listen to his $40,000 stereo equipment, I might put a CD in and think I'm hearing the most realistic sound known to man - but I might never know how it truly compares to other things I've heard.

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 31
To me, the HE90 is probably the most transparent headphone I've heard, so you are probably hearing nothing but your source at this point.

Jan 26, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 31
Had you not heard them before purchasing?

Jan 26, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 31
My guess would be like Heaven.
orphsmile.gif

If I ever win the lottery or have a rich relative leave me loads of money, this will be the first thing I purchase.

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 31
“Had you not heard them before purchasing?”

Once in 1999 I walked into Magnolia Hi-Fi and there was a silver thing on the counter. I asked what it was and they told me it was a headphone amp, the only one in the country, $15000 and they handed me the HE90’s. It left a marked impression on me and it wasn’t until I joined Head-Fi 3 or 4 years later that I found out what I had heard- The Orpheus.

Other that that, no I never heard them before.

“was it hard going back to their own systems?”

Hey they sound like headphones so I sold them.

Last week the guy I work for was going over the day’s expectations and I turned to a co-worker and said “Life is kind of veiled, lacks the dynamics and vast sound stage I’ve grown accustomed to with my HE90’s”. Then I told the lead to put some life into the talk.

A paradigm shift for sure.

Mitch

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 31
The first thing I noticed when listening to the HE90s is how theyre so much ****ing faster than any other headphone I've heard.
very_evil_smiley.gif
To the HE90's credit, I think the rest of its sound signature is VERY amp dependent.

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 31
relatively speaking, they are warmer and more euphonic than the OII.

Jan 26, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
relatively speaking, they are warmer and more euphonic than the OII.

than the O2 on which amp?

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #12 of 31
Ive had a chance to listen to the HE90s and HE60s. Both are fantastic headphones to say the least. The sound is very rich, highs are nice, not harsh at all. The whole sound coming from them is pretty much perfect to my ears. Bass is tight, but very full sounding.

Ive never heard anything like it...maybe the Sony R10s came close. I think thats the best sound ive ever heard from a headphone.

I know this is weird, but i find the HE60s to have as much, if not more detail then the 90s. Maybe this is due to the smaller sound stage between the 2. However, i would never complain if i owned any of them...they are both wonderful.

Here is a pic of me wearing them =)

p3110973mediumyr4.jpg

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
than the O2 on which amp?

on the Es-1, but it's okay, since then i've thought of the OII as a more neutral headphone, while the HE90 as the more "musical."

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #14 of 31
I think this post on the HE90/HE60/O2 will be helpful:

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I'm glad our meet has some interest for you. Ok, so HE60, HE90, OmegaII. First of all, I think the HE60's sound fabulous out of the HEV90, probably the best I've heard them. They gain a warmth and naturalness that the HEV70 cannot touch. Other amps like the Blue Hawaii and the 007t seem to either lose microdynamics or detail in comparison.

The Omega2 is not at its best (i'm guessing) on an HEV90. It did have good bass, and it did sound quite nice actually, but I feel like a blue Hawaii or possibly an ES-1 would have been a better match. Actually Mikhail called me during the meet to wish us all a good meet. He was actually planning on coming but it snowed heavily on Colorado the night before. He is still working on my ES-1 and so it will have to wait for another meet (tentatively planned for the 3rd week of Feb).

Anyway, during the meet I kept thinking and commenting that, while the HE90 is clearly in a league of its own (not even close), the HE60 and Omega2 are natural contenders. With an HE90 around, I would never feel the urge to pick up an Omega2, but with just the HE60, there are trade offs.

The Omega2 can almost have too much bass. It can be almost boomy sounding to me. This can be gotten used to, but once you switch to another headphone, like the HE60 it can be quite evident. The Omega2 has a great midrange that is smooth and non-fatiguing. I can generally raise the volume quite a bit higher and not get any hard sibilant transients or the like. I like this aspect of the Omega2, and it tend to see it as a very euphonic headphone that imparts its own signature very strongly to the material. The HE60 on the other hand is more like the HE90 - it is euphonic, but not obviously so. In comparison to the Omega2, it doesn't have as much bass, but it does have more impact around 80hz-160hz than the Orpheus. However, it doesn't extend very low and tends to drop off quickly. Hence impact without much sustain. Whereas the HE90 bass is simply amazing. I felt the same thing about the K1000 - it has good bass but it doesn't extend or sustain nearly as long or as well as the Omega2 or HE90. I'll have to do some more listening to comment on the high's of the HE60 and Omega2. Nothing really stuck out other than the fact that the HE60 retained none of its metallic edge (which can be readily heard on the HEV70). The Omega2's sounded great in this dept as well.

If I were to only have these two phones, I wouldn't know what I was missing since they provide a very enjoyable experience. However, the reason the HE90 cannot be compared and why it is so much better has to do with the fact that it does things these other headphones do NOT even attempt:

1) Vertical soundstage. This is for real. The sound is large, like speakers. The K1000 does amazing horizontal soundstage, but vertical soundstage gives a whole new dimension of realism to the sound.

2) Depth. Vertical soundstage coupled with depth allows these headphones to project sounds both seemingly from inside of your listening perspective (as if I was singing the lyrics for instance) and out and away from you. Sometimes at the same time in the song. Much of 1) and 2) have to do with the large diaphragm the headphones have that covers your ears entirely.

3) This last point brings me to the "disappearing act" effect. Several of us commented on how, when we put the HE90's on, we completely lose awareness of any external sounds, chit chat whatever. With other headphones, outside noise becomes an issue, especially for critical listening. Not with the HE90 to a large extent (but obviously within limits). It seems to envelop our ears ability to focus and concentrate. With the headphones on, it is almost as if our ears are pushed to magnetically focus entirely on the music. This is almost like a very natural external noise canceling effect. This effect is startling because the volume does NOT have to be very high to hear it. Put on another pair of headphones like the HE60's or Omega2's and even raise the volume, and still, external sounds can be distinguished.

If I was to make a comment on the Omega2, in regards to all the headphones we heard, it would definitely be the midrange, and its fun almost bloated but euphonic bass presentation (which may be controlled better with another amp/tubes).

Neil

I can write on and on but Neil said it better than I could have. The HE90 has that incredible combination of accuracy and euphony that makes you truly forget about the gear and listen to the music. It's accurate enough that nothing stands out as being immediately amiss, but it's also euphonic enough that it doesn't sound sterile. A well and truly accurate system will only portray the deficiencies in a recording, and the HE90 imparts a certain life and lushness into a recording, while keeping it accurate enough so that it sounds real.

This is with the HEV90 and the Meitner labs gear (Bozebuttons' setup). It's been a long time since I heard this rig, but I still remember it. It was, quite frankly, the absolute pinnacle of sound reproduction that I have ever encountered, and the only rig that was well and truly successful in transporting the listener into the music completely.

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #15 of 31
In a nutshell, compared to my other 14 stats I have or had on hand over the last year driven from the same amp over a range of sources and every thing is IMHO, the He90 is very diffused with an over extended and washed out sound stage. Some say that this is more speaker like but I like the pinpoint accuracy of all Stax phones. They do have harsh highs that need fat and slow cables to manage so no fast silver here. This harshness limits how hard you can push them volume wise but back off and you'll be fine. Their midrange is great but it is slightly distant like the sound stage. The He90 lacks the extra extension and power that is needed in the bass. It is fast and taught but it has no depth that can kill some music. They have a very dynamic sounding bass much like the lambda series from Stax. I have learned the hard way that do not put things in the signal path that strive for ultimate neutrality. Stick with slightly colored tubes and cables and you should have a killer setup.. Just remember colored is not a bad word if adds to the enjoyment of your rig.

The fit has always bothered me since I have a huge head and the headband isn't big enough but I managed a straight 3 hours listening session with them this week so I must have found the right fit...
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back