Want to Buy IEM ~$300 + Accessories
Aug 8, 2021 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Norbert000

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am aiming to buy mid-range iems with a budget of around $300. I am new to hifi and it is my first such purchase. After some research and reading through reviews, my choice is set on Moondrop x Crinacle Blessing2 Dusk, as those seem to fit my preference (or at least I think that they do). Their main purpose is for classical, EDM, rock, bgm, witch house. From reviews, it sounds like B2 Dusk can be used for such a wide range of genres as they are pretty neutral.

Headphones will be connected to the PC (Asus Xonar DX) through cable, to the phone through cable and Bluetooth, and to the laptop. I need help with a selection of accessories for these setups. I could not really come with any solution without feeling that I am doing some rookie mistake. So, I am here asking for help with:
  1. Buying extension jack cable to PC, around 2.5 meters. I don't want how to choose the correct one without overpaying or killing sound quality.
  2. As for the phone, I am not sure if the jack is better or USB-C. My Honor Play has a jack, but in case I change the phone to one that doesn't have it, I need an adapter. Again, I am not sure what kind of quality I am aiming at.
    1. For Bluetooth cable, my choice is Moondrop Littleblack Bluetooth 5.0.
  3. Also, I am open to other iem suggestions. I could extend my budget to $500 for that, but I am not sure if this is a good idea for a newbie. The plan is to not change them for at least a few years.
    1. I own JBL Reflect Mini 2 for usage during gym, and I don't like how they sound at all compared to Creative Outlier Sports that I owned before.
Thanks for the help in advance
Norbert

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 12
You could use this in lieu of the Moondrop cable (not much of an advantage to keeping that in-brand):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...exp_id=1c7177c6-897a-4dd9-9a6d-54922418da60-0

I don't have the Dusk (just the regular B2) and it's a personal pick for prog and jazz. I do prefer my Dunu DK-3001 Pro or Tin P1 to the Moondrop for just about everything else, though. That P1 is a force to be reckoned with on classical.

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 12
Thank you for your recommendations.
I did not even know that this kind of Bluetooth existed. It has nice specs, but I don't know if I want to spend that much on Bluetooth. I think that I need to do more research to have a stronger opinion.
Well, those Dunu DK-3001 Pro are almost twice the price of D2 Dusk, but I suggested that I can push my budget. I will consider them when making the final decision.

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 12
I did not even know that this kind of Bluetooth existed. It has nice specs, but I don't know if I want to spend that much on Bluetooth. I think that I need to do more research to have a stronger opinion.
Well, those Dunu DK-3001 Pro are almost twice the price of D2 Dusk, but I suggested that I can push my budget. I will consider them when making the final decision.
Just want to comment that the Blessing 2 Dusk is a very good and safe choice that works with many styles of music.
I think for the kind of sources you are planning to use they are also a good choice.
I would recommend an upgrade cable though. If you are familiar with AliExpress I can recommend the CEMA MS in silver, only drawback is that it is really think and heavy. But CEMA makes many cables and you can also ask for special configurations, like an extension or extra long cable.

Aug 8, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 12
Hi all,

I am aiming to buy mid-range iems with a budget of around $300. I am new to hifi and it is my first such purchase. After some research and reading through reviews, my choice is set on Moondrop x Crinacle Blessing2 Dusk, as those seem to fit my preference (or at least I think that they do). Their main purpose is for classical, EDM, rock, bgm, witch house. From reviews, it sounds like B2 Dusk can be used for such a wide range of genres as they are pretty neutral.

Headphones will be connected to the PC (Asus Xonar DX) through cable, to the phone through cable and Bluetooth, and to the laptop. I need help with a selection of accessories for these setups. I could not really come with any solution without feeling that I am doing some rookie mistake. So, I am here asking for help with:
  1. Buying extension jack cable to PC, around 2.5 meters. I don't want how to choose the correct one without overpaying or killing sound quality.
  2. As for the phone, I am not sure if the jack is better or USB-C. My Honor Play has a jack, but in case I change the phone to one that doesn't have it, I need an adapter. Again, I am not sure what kind of quality I am aiming at.
    1. For Bluetooth cable, my choice is Moondrop Littleblack Bluetooth 5.0.
  3. Also, I am open to other iem suggestions. I could extend my budget to $500 for that, but I am not sure if this is a good idea for a newbie. The plan is to not change them for at least a few years.
    1. I own JBL Reflect Mini 2 for usage during gym, and I don't like how they sound at all compared to Creative Outlier Sports that I owned before.
Thanks for the help in advance
Norbert
Dusk would work great but I would recommend Moondrop Variations (basically Blessing3) which is $530.

I have all three of Blessing2 original, Dusk, and new coming Variations, the weakness of Blessing2 and Dusk, slow and a bit dull bass response and treble extension is eliminated with Blessing3 or Variations.

For running from PC/Phone, FiiO BTR5 has very solid sound quality for $109. You can either render bluetooth signal to the BTR5 and it will convert the signal to better SQ output. It also works as USB DAC so you can source it from PC too.

By the way Dusk is good for female vocals and Asian pops, which fundamentally ignores baritone instruments and bass guitars, so If I would pick blessing2 original for western rock/ classical music.

Here is my cross referencing list of those moondrops.

My bang for the buck is GEEKWOLD GK10 though, it’s only $46, but for classical and EDM, Rock I prefer it over Blessing2/Dusk.
A1687AD2-952D-4C7B-9A2F-8DC3B5EEC0BE.png
85AE377D-E508-45E7-8045-3E72A4C35007.jpeg
728AC893-D635-41FA-8EF3-5DD72DC77B95.jpeg
67CAD6DA-B4DD-42D4-BDA2-4BCDF9A8469C.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 12
Just want to comment that the Blessing 2 Dusk is a very good and safe choice that works with many styles of music.
I think for the kind of sources you are planning to use they are also a good choice.
I would recommend an upgrade cable though. If you are familiar with AliExpress I can recommend the CEMA MS in silver, only drawback is that it is really think and heavy. But CEMA makes many cables and you can also ask for special configurations, like an extension or extra long cable.
Yes, I am familiar with AliExpress. I could not find the kind of cable that I am looking for at their store. I am looking for something like that male-female.

Dusk would work great but I would recommend Moondrop Variations (basically Blessing3) which is $530.

I have all three of Blessing2 original, Dusk, and new coming Variations, the weakness of Blessing2 and Dusk, slow and a bit dull bass response and treble extension is eliminated with Blessing3 or Variations.

For running from PC/Phone, FiiO BTR5 has very solid sound quality for $109. You can either render bluetooth signal to the BTR5 and it will convert the signal to better SQ output. It also works as USB DAC so you can source it from PC too.

By the way Dusk is good for female vocals and Asian pops, which fundamentally ignores baritone instruments and bass guitars, so If I would pick blessing2 original for western rock/ classical music.

Here is my cross referencing list of those moondrops.

My bang for the buck is GEEKWOLD GK10 though, it’s only $46, but for classical and EDM, Rock I prefer it over Blessing2/Dusk.
I will add Variations to the list of potential iems to consider when buying, right now together with Dunu DK-3001 Pro.

FiiO BTR5 is a really nice addition to the whole setup. I will consider buying such AMP in the future. I want to get used to the bare earphones first, so I can feel the improvement. But, if I have to spend a high amount on the cord extension, I will probably buy this as DAC as you suggested (or another if I do research).

As for Dusk being better or worse for certain genres, I think that I have to deal with that for the price range I am aiming for. Although that is a really good suggestion. I choose Dusk over Blessing2 because reviews tell that it has a bit more tuned bass.

That is a really nice comparison that you provided on that picture.

I want to stick to one pair as for the crossing the earphones. Maybe in the future, I will expand my collection with more headphones with particular genres in mind.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 12
Variations is ex

Hmmmm…
the Vatiations is an excellent IEM, and certainly a significant step up in SQ, but also in price. It is also more specialized and demanding of the source quality IMO. I think you need to spend money in a decent DAC to do justice to the Variations, and then total cost is more like $800 or more. Definitely a great choice though

Aug 8, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 12
Yes, I am familiar with AliExpress. I could not find the kind of cable that I am looking for at their store. I am looking for something like that male-female.
You can chat with the people from the shop, choose a cable type, buy the regular IEM cable and ask them by chat to make an extension from the same conductors.

Aug 8, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 12

I will add Variations to the list of potential iems to consider when buying, right now together with Dunu DK-3001 Pro.

FiiO BTR5 is a really nice addition to the whole setup. I will consider buying such AMP in the future. I want to get used to the bare earphones first, so I can feel the improvement. But, if I have to spend a high amount on the cord extension, I will probably buy this as DAC as you suggested (or another if I do research).

As for Dusk being better or worse for certain genres, I think that I have to deal with that for the price range I am aiming for. Although that is a really good suggestion. I choose Dusk over Blessing2 because reviews tell that it has a bit more tuned bass.

That is a really nice comparison that you provided on that picture.

I want to stick to one pair as for the crossing the earphones. Maybe in the future, I will expand my collection with more headphones with particular genres in mind.
Variations is one of highest benchmark to beat within sub$1k not even $500 components, numbers of headfiers posted same recommendation for someone looking $500 IEM on a thread close by too.

Aug 8, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 12
Variations is ex

Hmmmm…
the Vatiations is an excellent IEM, and certainly a significant step up in SQ, but also in price. It is also more specialized and demanding of the source quality IMO. I think you need to spend money in a decent DAC to do justice to the Variations, and then total cost is more like $800 or more. Definitely a great choice though
Yea if simply taking cost performance, B2/Dusk is better off, Variations certainly need good amps to take the benefit of scalability.

Aug 9, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #12 of 12
Variations is ex

Hmmmm…
Well, I like how it escalated for me from ~$150 budget, just getting some pair of iems to the whole setup.
I am considering DAC instead of cable if the price is going to be high.
You can chat with the people from the shop, choose a cable type, buy the regular IEM cable and ask them by chat to make an extension from the same conductors.
That is a nice thing. Do you know the total price for that kind of order? I am considering just buying DAC as it is versatile compared to static cable. In total, it will probably be more expensive but I can use it with all setups i.e. PC, phone, laptop.
Well, after looking at its input/outputs, I still need some sort of cable to plug it into my soundcard over the jack. My iems would be plugged into DAC through jack, and output is from USB-C, so I still need USB-C to jack adapter. Or am I getting that wrong? To connect via Bluetooth, I would need to buy a Bluetooth receiver for my PC.
I've been using these with FiiO FH3, the sound quality is excellent. For better sq, you can get the btr5 or quedelix 5k.
https://hifigo.com/products/fiio-utws3-over-hook-true-wireless-bluetooth-receiver
Thank you for the input. I have considered these, but after reading reviews my choice went for the D2 Dusk.
Variations is one of highest benchmark to beat within sub$1k not even $500 components, numbers of headfiers posted same recommendation for someone looking $500 IEM on a thread close by too.
That is nice to know. I am really considering them + FiiO BTR5.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back