Using boutique capacitors in bass boost circuitry?
Jan 11, 2010 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

K3cT

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there any point for using cream-of-the-crop boutique capacitors in let's say, PPAv2's bass boost circuitry? I'm thinking of taking it to the extreme with VCap Teflon or some nice PIO.
evil_smiley.gif

Since these caps lie in the signal path, one can expect that they have to be of a reasonable quality but I'm still not sure there is any merit in going all the way or not. All being said, fire away guys! I'm interested in your opinions.

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 6
The feedback loop is very much "in the signal path"; so yes, you should use good capacitors there. That said, you should use something that would fit in the PCB pads. Do not tombstone-mount the cap or air-wire large caps off-board. The feedback loop of an amp should be kept very short. Extra lead length from the cap adds inductance and could cause instability.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The feedback loop is very much "in the signal path"; so yes, you should use good capacitors there. That said, you should use something that would fit in the PCB pads. Do not tombstone-mount the cap or air-wire large caps off-board. The feedback loop of an amp should be kept very short. Extra lead length from the cap adds inductance and could cause instability.

How did you manage to read my mind?!
eek.gif

Assuming space is not a concern, how does bypassing a PIO with a Teflon sound for this purpose? This is probably a very far-fetched idea but who knows...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back