USB Rega or new needle/preamp
Jun 3, 2008 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ZMU817

100+ Head-Fier
[EDIT: Pro-ject, not Rega!]

so, going into College-fi, I'm going to be wanting a good turntable setup. Right now I have an audiotechnica turntable with the stock needle; i'm away from it right now so I can't give exact model numbers, but I recall that it cost $200. I'm using the pre-amp that's built into my Sony surround sound receiver going into a pair of 90s-era Klipsch bookshelf (I believe they are KS.5). it sounds okay. Between some of my well-kept up Beatles and Pink Floyd from 30 years ago and new Flaming Lips re-issues, its good enough that I enjoy listening to it over the digital out from my PC. More dynamic, more musical etc.

However, I want to ditch the Sony receiver.

Is the best use of my money going to be the Pro-Ject Debut III table? My PC has a AV710 chaintech that I'm planning on feeding into a Teragan's Red desktop amp to the Klipsch.

Or will I be better off spending the money on a new needle (perhaps in the $100 range, shure or grado... whats the Rega's stock needle on par with?) and a $200ish pre amp (maybe PRO-JECT).

Thanks...

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 5
Stay away from anything with a USB out. All it will give you is CD-res (44.1/16). Run a good-quality cable from the outputs of your phono stage directly into your computer, and use Audacity or something similar to create higher-res files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back