Upgrade from ZMF Aeolus
May 4, 2023 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

melibond

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've been using the ZMF Aeolus as my main pair for the last 2-3 years. I love them, but, the soundstage is too small, and, the bass is not powerful enough.
Would anyone here be able to suggest a pair of headphones to go to, that would have a bigger soundstage and stronger bass, while at least still having enough detail, and, being the kind of headphones that no matter what you listen to, it still sounds good.

It doesn't have to be a higher price, just, something that has good enough detail for audiophile ears, and, the extra qualities I mentioned.

May 4, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 36
Hi, I've been using the ZMF Aeolus as my main pair for the last 2-3 years. I love them, but, the soundstage is too small, and, the bass is not powerful enough.
Would anyone here be able to suggest a pair of headphones to go to, that would have a bigger soundstage and stronger bass, while at least still having enough detail, and, being the kind of headphones that no matter what you listen to, it still sounds good.

It doesn't have to be a higher price, just, something that has good enough detail for audiophile ears, and, the extra qualities I mentioned.
Before saying ‘adios to aeolus’, let me ask: what headphone cable, amplifier, source / DAC are you using with Aeolus? Your comment about soundstage is not my experience with Aeolus. While Aeolus bass may not ‘equal’ that of Eikon, it is still musically coherent and valid.

May 4, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 36
Before saying ‘adios to aeolus’, let me ask: what headphone cable, amplifier, source / DAC are you using with Aeolus? Your comment about soundstage is not my experience with Aeolus. While Aeolus bass may not ‘equal’ that of Eikon, it is still musically coherent and valid.
I have a multibit Bifrost from Schiit as the DAC. As AMP, I have a Schiit Asgard 2, but, I mostly use my Xduoo TA-03. I also have a Fiio X7 as a DAP. The Xduoo TA-03 is a tube amplifier, and, what I like about it the most is that it takes any headphones I plug in it, and gives it a bigger soundstage, and, better bass. It's more than capable of running 300 and 600 ohm headphones... I brought out my Sennheiser HD598 two days ago, and, I was surprised at what I was missing in terms of bass and soundstage on my Aeolus. I watched a video of someone sharing an honest review of Cod MW2, and, when he started talking about the sound of the game, he showed various scenes, one with a shotgun, another with a sniper shooting from afar, and the bullet flying by close, and then a big explosion. All of these scenes had a genuine effect on me, I was able to sense the intensity of the shotgun, and the woman screaming in the scene, the bullet flying by clearly from afar and the space between my head and it, and, then, the explosion, the depth of the explosion and intensity of it vibrated my skull and gently massaged my brain (speaking of the HD598). When I put my Aeolus back on, there was none of that chest thump feeling from the shotgun, no clearly distant shot passing close by, and, the explosion was didn't vibrate my head, while, also delivering a much more attenuated sense of depth.
I will try my Asgard 2 after this, and, see if there is a big difference, but, from my experience, like I said, the ta-03 really does wonders when it comes to soundstage, depth and bass, no matter what headphones I plug into it.

I'll write an update once I'm done.
As for cable, I'm using it's own original cable. It's a good quality cable. I also have another original one with 3.5mm and, a custom one with a balanced 2.5mm for my fiio x7.

May 4, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 36
The difference, honestly, is just between tube and solid-amp. There seems to be a bit more bass, but, it could be placebo, and, soundstage, well, the tubes make the space between sounds more present, so, imaging becomes better because of that, while, sounds in general just become warmer, and, what I can only describe as, more friendly.
There may be a little difference in soundstage, but, yea, it may be just the different types of AMPs.

May 4, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 36
I've tested the Sennheiser HD598 also, and, honestly, there is a big difference with it. There is a lot more depth on my ta-03, and, a bigger soundstage too. The bass is also more impactful. All together with the extra warmth and natural sound of the tubes, makes the scenes I'm checking ( 1:20-2:05) much more natural, and, present.
I can also say that with my Fiio X7, in balanced mode, while there is a bigger soundstage on my desktop AMPs, and, maybe a little more detail, but, that's arguable, the soundstage and bass are even more lacking.
My tube amp is powerful enough to blow out the drivers of any headphone I have, so, AMP power is not a concern.
Either way, even if there is some AMP and DAC combo out there that makes my ZMF Aeolus have a wider soundstage, more depth, and better bass... I don't care. I don't want to bother with finding it, and, even if it does exist, it's very likely to be rare, because, while the soundstage isn't bad by any means, it is too small when compared to the HD598, and, generally speaking, what I'm used to.
My previous headphones includ a heavily modded sennheiser hd700, focal clear, and audio technica ath-adx5000, which, all have very good soundstage. I personally am not capable of adapting to a smaller soundstage, as I have tried for a few to several years already... I genuinely love the Aeolus. The first time I bought them (used), I had to return them, after a day, because I was broke. It was very emotional, and, I saved money for 3 years, to be able to buy them again, this time, new.
Now, I have to let them go again. I thought it was end-game for me, but, here I am, back at obsessing over finding the perfect headphone for me. Or, at least, somewhat close to perfect. I wouldn't mind somewhat less detail, or, imaging.

May 4, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 36
I've tested the Sennheiser HD598 also, and, honestly, there is a big difference with it. There is a lot more depth on my ta-03, and, a bigger soundstage too. The bass is also more impactful. All together with the extra warmth and natural sound of the tubes, makes the scenes I'm checking ( 1:20-2:05) much more natural, and, present.
I can also say that with my Fiio X7, in balanced mode, while there is a bigger soundstage on my desktop AMPs, and, maybe a little more detail, but, that's arguable, the soundstage and bass are even more lacking.
My tube amp is powerful enough to blow out the drivers of any headphone I have, so, AMP power is not a concern.
Either way, even if there is some AMP and DAC combo out there that makes my ZMF Aeolus have a wider soundstage, more depth, and better bass... I don't care. I don't want to bother with finding it, and, even if it does exist, it's very likely to be rare, because, while the soundstage isn't bad by any means, it is too small when compared to the HD598, and, generally speaking, what I'm used to.
My previous headphones includ a heavily modded sennheiser hd700, focal clear, and audio technica ath-adx5000, which, all have very good soundstage. I personally am not capable of adapting to a smaller soundstage, as I have tried for a few to several years already... I genuinely love the Aeolus. The first time I bought them (used), I had to return them, after a day, because I was broke. It was very emotional, and, I saved money for 3 years, to be able to buy them again, this time, new.
Now, I have to let them go again. I thought it was end-game for me, but, here I am, back at obsessing over finding the perfect headphone for me. Or, at least, somewhat close to perfect. I wouldn't mind somewhat less detail, or, imaging.

When the sniper shoots, with the HD598, I can hear the echo of the shoot all the way in the distance, and fading away so far away that I can't even perceive where it is anymore (distance wise). With the Aeolus, it's pretty clear where the borders are. It's like a bubble around my head, around twice the size of my head.

May 4, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 36
I had the chance to try to the HD660S you have in your profile picture also, for a few weeks, but, the soundstage was also too small for me. And, I liked my modded HD700 better anyway.

May 5, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #8 of 36
Did you want to help ? Or, did you just want to make a statement and go ? No one seems to want to admit that the Aeolus could use a bigger Soundstage. I'll leave the bass part to the side, since, that's more subjective, but, wether you're ok with the soundstage or not, it really doesn't matter, since no matter what anyone subjectively feels in relation to that, some more soundstage is objectively better. I've heard better soundstage for several other headphones, and, "better" as many have pointed out in their reviews, is enough to consider that an objective understanding.

May 5, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #9 of 36
Did you want to help ? Or, did you just want to make a statement and go ? No one seems to want to admit that the Aeolus could use a bigger Soundstage. I'll leave the bass part to the side, since, that's more subjective, but, wether you're ok with the soundstage or not, it really doesn't matter, since no matter what anyone subjectively feels in relation to that, some more soundstage is objectively better. I've heard better soundstage for several other headphones, and, "better" as many have pointed out in their reviews, is enough to consider that an objective understanding.
Whatever, I regert bringing my attention into this. I'll keep searchng on my own.

May 8, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #11 of 36
I wish I could delete this thread...
I think you’re expecting a bit too much from people but I’m sorry you’re feeling this way as most HeadFi’ers are just trying to help.

If I were you I’d be looking to try to go to a meet-up or a local store to try out some other options before selling the Aeolus.

The way that you’re describing what you want I’d look laterally at something around the same price point. Arya Stealth comes to mind immediately for me as it ticks a lot of your boxes.

If you’ve got tubes I’d also look at HD800S as it’s the king of soundstage, sounds great on tubes and is a phenomenal gaming headphone. It’s different enough from your Aeolus that you can keep both and they’re quite complementary in a collection.

May 8, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 36
I think you’re expecting a bit too much from people but I’m sorry you’re feeling this way as most HeadFi’ers are just trying to help.

If I were you I’d be looking to try to go to a meet-up or a local store to try out some other options before selling the Aeolus.

The way that you’re describing what you want I’d look laterally at something around the same price point. Arya Stealth comes to mind immediately for me as it ticks a lot of your boxes.

If you’ve got tubes I’d also look at HD800S as it’s the king of soundstage, sounds great on tubes and is a phenomenal gaming headphone. It’s different enough from your Aeolus that you can keep both and they’re quite complementary in a collection.
May be. It's the second post I made, and, someone messaged me expressing that people are afraid to criticize the Aeolus, or, look to improve them, or, upgrade or whatnot... and, I took his word for it...

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check out the Arya Stealth. I don't think I'll like the HD800S though, since, knowing the HD800, it won't be forgiving when it comes to poorly mixed music, and, that's the quality I like the most about the Aeolus. I don't enjoy headphones that have a lot of detail, but, are unforgiving in that sense very much. They're interesting to analyze tracks and whatnot, but, I don't do that.

I don't have enough money to afford multiple high end headphones. I saved for 2-3 years to be able to afford the Aeolus.

I do want to try other headphones though, if I get the chance. Thanks for encouraging me on that.

May 8, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #13 of 36
May be. It's the second post I made, and, someone messaged me expressing that people are afraid to criticize the Aeolus, or, look to improve them, or, upgrade or whatnot... and, I took his word for it...

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check out the Arya Stealth. I don't think I'll like the HD800S though, since, knowing the HD800, it won't be forgiving when it comes to poorly mixed music, and, that's the quality I like the most about the Aeolus. I don't enjoy headphones that have a lot of detail, but, are unforgiving in that sense very much. They're interesting to analyze tracks and whatnot, but, I don't do that.

I don't have enough money to afford multiple high end headphones. I saved for 2-3 years to be able to afford the Aeolus.

I do want to try other headphones though, if I get the chance. Thanks for encouraging me on that.
I've owned three Aeolus's and I'll criticize them all day long. If I could give you a few more pieces of advice try not to listen to too many opinions. This hobby has a tonne of passionate people who aren't afraid to give you their opinions and a lot of people will be naturally attached to a certain headphone because of buyers bias.

In all of your posts you don't really mention music or genre pairings. You essentially mention gaming in every post which is why I suggested HD800S. It's the world's best headphone for gaming and with the right tube pairing can be awesome for music as well.

If multiple high end headphones aren't in the cards if it was me I'd hop down a tier, sell the Aeolus and buy two sets. One planar and one dynamic. Especially if you aren't looking for the last word in detail. There's tonnes of phenomenal headphones in the $500-$700 mark that'll suit what you're looking for more and having two headphones can satisfy more genres and more use cases.

May 8, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #14 of 36
I've owned three Aeolus's and I'll criticize them all day long. If I could give you a few more pieces of advice try not to listen to too many opinions. This hobby has a tonne of passionate people who aren't afraid to give you their opinions and a lot of people will be naturally attached to a certain headphone because of buyers bias.

In all of your posts you don't really mention music or genre pairings. You essentially mention gaming in every post which is why I suggested HD800S. It's the world's best headphone for gaming and with the right tube pairing can be awesome for music as well.

If multiple high end headphones aren't in the cards if it was me I'd hop down a tier, sell the Aeolus and buy two sets. One planar and one dynamic. Especially if you aren't looking for the last word in detail. There's tonnes of phenomenal headphones in the $500-$700 mark that'll suit what you're looking for more and having two headphones can satisfy more genres and more use cases.
I was mad that day, so, anything anyone would've said would've gotten to me. I agree with what you're saying. I'll be aware of that.
Unless it's a maddening moment of my day, and, instead of taking care of myself, I'm reading people's opinions on things online again x).

I do listen to music too. I just noted that for scenarios where bass is emphasized to express a lot of depth and scale, the Aeolus doesn't really deliver like the HD598. The gaming video I mentioned happened to have the example that changed my mind. It could be quick sounds in a song with a lot of bass, or, an action movie, or, explosion and banging sounds in general.

I love it when knocks, bangs, cracks, and whatnot, are felt in the chest, or, other places in the body depending on the sound.

A bigger soundstage also is something I'd appreciate wether it's for videos, games or music.

The reason why I didn't mention what kind of music, is because the Aeolus delivers good sound with any kind of music I listen to on them. I have nothing to complain about music. And, since, I listen to less songs with strong bass, than I do without, it also didn't cross my mind because of that. That's all.

May 8, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #15 of 36
I was mad that day, so, anything anyone would've said would've gotten to me. I agree with what you're saying. I'll be aware of that.
Unless it's a maddening moment of my day, and, instead of taking care of myself, I'm reading people's opinions on things online again x).

I do listen to music too. I just noted that for scenarios where bass is emphasized to express a lot of depth and scale, the Aeolus doesn't really deliver like the HD598. The gaming video I mentioned happened to have the example that changed my mind. It could be quick sounds in a song with a lot of bass, or, an action movie, or, explosion and banging sounds in general.

I love it when knocks, bangs, cracks, and whatnot, are felt in the chest, or, other places in the body depending on the sound.

A bigger soundstage also is something I'd appreciate wether it's for videos, games or music.

The reason why I didn't mention what kind of music, is because the Aeolus delivers good sound with any kind of music I listen to on them. I have nothing to complain about music. And, since, I listen to less songs with strong bass, than I do without, it also didn't cross my mind because of that. That's all.
All good. I'd try to find a local store so you can make more of an educated opinion of what exactly you're looking for as the journey is different for everyone. I've personally taken a wild path with essentially buying & selling/trading like a madman for four years to end up where I am now. It's been a lot of fun but i'm fatigued and I wouldn't recommend the route that I took unless you're super obsessive like me.

I'd look at the following to start with as all of these on the second hand market punch WAAAY above their weight and you could potentially sell the Aeolus and buy two of these for roughly the same value:

Audeze LCDX 2021
Arya Stealth
Meze 109 Pro
Edition XS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back