Unveiled: Meet the HD 620S
May 9, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #93 of 300
We appreciate the excitement however this review broke our embargo, as we put in almost one month of review time, knowing that the audience here needs more than an unboxing and quick impressions video. They did not obtain the unit from us. Behind the scenes we are working with some familiar faces who are giving this the thorough attention it deserve, and new personalities as well, and will have a product tour for the community soon.

Night and day difference

A lot to unpack here :)

It's not as easy as dropping one driver into a new chassis, although from 30,000 ft up it looks that way. The entire front and back volume have to be treated, and the driver materials themselves (the diaphragm, the voice coil, surround, etc) all play a part in the acoustic presentation. All that said, the driver surround is in fact from the 660S2, and the DNA is very similar to it.

Not much to comment about your design critiques...you like what you like! 🤷 In person this beast has much more wow factor while remaining stealthy and understated, and we think that will be less of a distraction at the office, while on camera, at the coffee shop, etc

The graph versus the 600 is accurate but was certainly intended to drive a few key points home. Some folks are doing measurements right now and will have graphs to compare to everything else soon. Thanks for the reply!
I'm confident i speak for 100% of the market in saying we want to be a distraction, give us bling! :)

1715272223694.png

All joking aside thanks for the great response. It's good to see vendors interacting with the users. I have no doubt driver choice/tuning is incredibly challenging. I just love those S2 drivers with my amps, was hoping it would be the same ones. But that's cool I'll give the 620 a try as your track record in general is well established.

One follow up on the design front. I've owned quite a few 5 series Sennheisers, and one of them, the 598, broke at the swivel hinge. Is the new 620 chassis more robust than those old beige 598 chassis?

Looking forward to putting the 620 through it's paces!

PS if you offered it in pink i'd totally buy it!

May 9, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #94 of 300
I'm confident i speak for 100% of the market in saying we want to be a distraction, give us bling! :)

1715272223694.png

All joking aside thanks for the great response. It's good to see vendors interacting with the users. I have no doubt driver choice/tuning is incredibly challenging. I just love those S2 drivers with my amps, was hoping it would be the same ones. But that's cool I'll give the 620 a try as your track record in general is well established.

One follow up on the design front. I've owned quite a few 5 series Sennheisers, and one of them, the 598, broke at the swivel hinge. Is the new 620 chassis more robust than those old beige 598 chassis?

Looking forward to putting the 620 through it's paces!

PS if you offered it in pink i'd totally buy it!
Lol! A custom erics75 edition? Deal!

The metal reinforced headband makes a big difference. It keeps everything anchored to the core really, really well. I was doing some measurements/comparisons with my old 598 yesterday and the 620S feels as solid as anything we've done yet. The 598 is lighter, yes, but has some "clack" plastic feel that the 620S just doesn't exhibit.

It should be noted that the coupling is much gentler as well. That has a direct impact on the perceived headband caliper tension, and that metal headband will hold up on extreme extensions much better.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 9, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #95 of 300
I actually agree that copper accents would’ve been a lovely addition to the design here.

Here’s the graph you asked for @erics75

IMG-7412.png
Wow that's quite a bass lift over the S2 until 200hz! I find the S2 quite bassy in general, not sure I'd want more, though i'll have to hear it in case it works. But woo that subbass looks quite strong.

May 9, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #96 of 300
Lol! A custom erics75 edition? Deal!

The metal reinforced headband makes a big difference. It keeps everything anchored to the core really, really well. I was doing some measurements/comparisons with my old 598 yesterday and the 620S feels as solid as anything we've done yet. The 598 is lighter, yes, but has some "clack" plastic feel that the 620S just doesn't exhibit.

It should be noted that the coupling is much gentler as well. That has a direct impact on the perceived headband caliper tension, and that metal headband will hold up on extreme extensions much better.
Heck yeah! send me that hot pink eric75 edition and i'll make sure i'm posting pics of it on my fat head for all to see :) I assume no liability for any burned eyeballs though, viewer beware! And good to hear on the metal band. Have you guys measured sound leakage? Some headphones market how many db leak out at a specified volume level (ex. 85db playback volume). I work in an office that is very open so leakage is an issue for me. I don't mind mild leakage, but some headphones like the T5p leaked so bad I got complaints.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #97 of 300
Wow that's quite a bass lift over the S2 until 200hz! I find the S2 quite bassy in general, not sure I'd want more, though i'll have to hear it in case it works. But woo that subbass looks quite strong.
I think its likely you’ll find 620S is bassier but perhaps not crazily so because it also has more upper midrange to balance it out, whereas the 660S2 doesn’t have a bass elevation.

May 9, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #98 of 300
The S2’s FR graph doesn’t really do a good job of communicating the bass response. So my guess is the 620S’ bass is probably stronger than the S2, but not by as much as the graph would suggest.

May 9, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #101 of 300
Get ready for someone to claim nose hairs affect SQ…. 👍

Ear hairs, though, are known to be affected by ultrasonic high frquencies. If you don't want your ear hairs to vribrate, then you'd best stick to lossy audio like MP3s.

May 9, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #103 of 300
I think its likely you’ll find 620S is bassier but perhaps not crazily so because it also has more upper midrange to balance it out, whereas the 660S2 doesn’t have a bass elevation.
The S2’s FR graph doesn’t really do a good job of communicating the bass response. So my guess is the 620S’ bass is probably stronger than the S2, but not by as much as the graph would suggest.
When you get to the bass curves, it starts to get subjective as we're talking flavor and quantity. I do believe most listeners will find the HD 660S2 signature to be warmer and more relaxed overall, and that bass breathes really well. I do believe most HD 620S listeners will find its bass to be equally well defined, but presented as less of a "bass shelf" blueprint than the HD 660S2. The sub bass "poke" on the HD 620S is real, but not dominant at all.
Will the HD620s be sold with a balanced cable in the box in the summer, or is it, that the balanced cable will be a separate purchase?
Sold separately. We hope to offer bundles at a later date, but for now it will be a separate item.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 9, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #104 of 300
When you get to the bass curves, it starts to get subjective as we're talking flavor and quantity. I do believe most listeners will find the HD 660S2 signature to be warmer and more relaxed overall, and that bass breathes really well. I do believe most HD 620S listeners will find its bass to be equally well defined, but presented as less of a "bass shelf" blueprint than the HD 660S2. The sub bass "poke" on the HD 620S is real, but not dominant at all.

Sold separately. We hope to offer bundles at a later date, but for now it will be a separate item.
Ah how interesting! I stand corrected. Now I need to hear this thing for myself. I was not impressed with the 560 but love the S2, so I’m trying to approach this new model with an appropriate amount of caution.

May 9, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #105 of 300

That is very true about the HD 660S2, I'm quite surprised how prominent it is despite it's measurements. It's one of those headphones I find have more bass than the measurements indicates. I have others that have less bass than measurements indicate, and some are about where I expect based on measurements.

Ah how interesting! I stand corrected. Now I need to hear this thing for myself. I was not impressed with the 560 but love the S2, so I’m trying to approach this new model with an appropriate amount of caution.
I found bass very hard to guage based on measurements alone, the S2 is notably more prominent in the bass than the measurements indicate to me. Whereas something like my T1 Gen 3 is less bassy than it's measurements indicate. I wasn't a fan of the HD 560S either, it had less bass and body than I expected, wasn't my cup of tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back