Unique Melody IEM discussion thread(MEST, MEXT, Mentor, Mason, etc.)
Nov 20, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #46 of 111
has anyone hear had the MEST Mk II or III and the Sony IER-Z1R? curious to get any comparison thoughts.

Nov 20, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #47 of 111
has anyone hear had the MEST Mk II or III and the Sony IER-Z1R? curious to get any comparison thoughts.
They all sound different and IMHO I wouldn’t trade the Z1R for the Monarch 3.

For me, the MEST 2 is complementary to the rest just like the Z1R. The MEST 3 is interchangeable with the Monarch 3 and is subjectively (for me at least) better than the Monarch 3.

If I were to choose, I’d keep the Z1R and get either the MEST 2 or 3. Of course, YMMV

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #48 of 111
I have both the z1r and the Mkii and I’ve had them for a while. I like both and, as the previous post said, they are complementary, not really similar. In my opinion, the Mest is balanced and musical, the z1r is more of a V signature, it’s best feature is the bass. Neither is very analytical and they both have a sound the very easy to listen to with no disagreeable traits (like a pronounced a high end or boomy bass).

If I were to pick one, I’d pick the Mest Mkii, I just really like how it sounds. They are an easier fit, as well, some people struggle with the z1r fit. Never heard the mkiii.

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #49 of 111
The stand-out feature of MEST 3 for me is its vocals. It’s more forward than the MEST 2. So much so that the vocals in some tracks were in my head instead of in front of me.

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #50 of 111
The stand-out feature of MEST 3 for me is its vocals. It’s more forward than the MEST 2. So much so that the vocals in some tracks were in my head instead of in front of me.
Was that -good- then? Doesn’t sound like a win for UM particularly…

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #51 of 111
I have both the z1r and the Mkii and I’ve had them for a while. I like both and, as the previous post said, they are complementary, not really similar. In my opinion, the Mest is balanced and musical, the z1r is more of a V signature, it’s best feature is the bass. Neither is very analytical and they both have a sound the very easy to listen to with no disagreeable traits (like a pronounced a high end or boomy bass).

If I were to pick one, I’d pick the Mest Mkii, I just really like how it sounds. They are an easier fit, as well, some people struggle with the z1r fit. Never heard the mkiii.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. This is what I came to learn.

I'm really digging the Z1R but I always get buyers remorse right after, in this case trader's remorse. I have the Volur so am spoiled with bass, and the Z1R is right up there.

How would you compare the bass on the Mk ii to the Z1R, and the mids?

I had the MEXT for a little bit, which turned me on to UM and bone conduction. I enjoyed their mids and highs, needed to boost the bass with EQ, so they weren't for me. Have you heard those too?

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #52 of 111
Was that -good- then? Doesn’t sound like a win for UM particularly…
I already own the MEST 2 and decided to allocate the funds somewhere else instead of MEST 3. Although they sound sufficiently different to warrant owning both.

There’s no such thing as good or bad even in quotation marks. At the end it’s individual hearing and preference. Almost all have said the Z1R has recessed mids. I disagree with that. Perhaps my age induced hearing loss has a part to play in it. For this reason, many have sold off their Z1R. For me the Z1R is a keeper.

So, what is forward vocals to me may not necessarily be the same to someone else.

Nov 21, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #53 of 111
Thanks so much for your thoughts. This is what I came to learn.

I'm really digging the Z1R but I always get buyers remorse right after, in this case trader's remorse. I have the Volur so am spoiled with bass, and the Z1R is right up there.

How would you compare the bass on the Mk ii to the Z1R, and the mids?

I had the MEXT for a little bit, which turned me on to UM and bone conduction. I enjoyed their mids and highs, needed to boost the bass with EQ, so they weren't for me. Have you heard those too?
Just listened to a few songs on both (not working today). I would say the z1r bass goes a little deeper and is more impactful. The Mkii sounds a little tighter in the bass. I think the real difference is the mids on the Mkii are more present and that sends the bass back a bit. Although a like the Mkii a bit more, I still spend plenty of time with the z1r. Both are winners to me, no buyers remorse needed imo. I have more expensive iem’s that may be better is some ways but I think both of these hold their own against them in terms of listening enjoyment. I have not heard the Mext.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #54 of 111
I have Mest OG / MkI , listened / auditioned Mk II and have the Z1R

They are differently tuned IEMs. Bass on Z1R is still the best in quality, even among others IEMs that said have great bass (Xe6, IE900, etc)
Compared to Mests, Z1R bass is deeper and more impactful perhaps the combination of 12mm driver and little bit bigger mid bass (still not bleeding much into mids) really a great formula here. The kickbass in drum still sounded the best in Z1R, fuller, impactful, deeper and have great low end bass trails. 9.5/10 for the Z1R bass

Mest bass is great also 8.5/10 for the Bass, quite deep but not as impactful as Z1R's, lighter in mids bass while cleaner and very fast but not as full. You'll hear more cleaner "cut off" transition between bass and mids, definitely not so natural but can be a good thing for clean analytical seeker.

Mests speciality is the holographic imaging, this feature beats Z1R capabilities (even though Z1R have wider soundstage) without a doubt.

I also never found Z1R mids as recessed especially when liatening on louder volume. But Mest mids is little bit more forwarded.

In the end both are my endgame collections till today, scarapping many pricier sets like Odin, traillii, Xe6, Jewel, Phonix and many other sets that I had / auditioned, only I haven't got chance to listen to the Radon 6 and Subtonic Storm on my bucket list.

I'm very picky and critical about bass quality and dedicated my life and money to search the best bass IEM, not the quantity but the quality.

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #55 of 111
Please bring your opinions, I'm trying to decide which UM model to get. I'm looking for the largest most holographic 3d out of the head soundstage. I currently have the final A4000 which accomplish this but have their own drawbacks. Are there any UM models that do soundstage even better than the final audio sets?

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #56 of 111
Please bring your opinions, I'm trying to decide which UM model to get. I'm looking for the largest most holographic 3d out of the head soundstage. I currently have the final A4000 which accomplish this but have their own drawbacks. Are there any UM models that do soundstage even better than the final audio sets?
Budget?

Nov 23, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #57 of 111
I haven't tried the the Mest MkIII but I've tried the Mest Indigo. If Mest MkIII is indeed rebranded Indigo (same config, same FR, sama shell) then I've listened and compared all 3 models.

Mest OG / MkI have most trebles, most detailed and maybe sharpest imaging among all but with note, trebles are intense and in exchange with unnatural timbre that towarda analytical.
If you read @Precogvision impression about MkI vs MkII, roughly align my perception between both.

Mest MkII is tuned warmer than MkII with still great holographic imaging. MkII if compared side by side with MKI, will sounded warmer and more bodied. The bass still clean without zero mid bass bleed. Timbre lover will love MkII rather than MkI

Mest Indigo sounded more detailed with more refine and balanced sound, but the price hike from Mest MkI and II is the real cons to me, maybe sligh refinement upgrade but with big cost, not worth in my opinion.

But worry not, any Mest model you choose, will have great magical imaging for sure, thats the Mest specialty. I compared side by side with Odin, u12t, sony M9, etc. Mest have at least similar capabilitiy in imaging department if not better. Tested with my Fiio M17 before

Nov 24, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #59 of 111
I haven't tried the the Mest MkIII but I've tried the Mest Indigo. If Mest MkIII is indeed rebranded Indigo (same config, same FR, sama shell) then I've listened and compared all 3 models.

Mest OG / MkI have most trebles, most detailed and maybe sharpest imaging among all but with note, trebles are intense and in exchange with unnatural timbre that towarda analytical.
If you read @Precogvision impression about MkI vs MkII, roughly align my perception between both.

Mest MkII is tuned warmer than MkII with still great holographic imaging. MkII if compared side by side with MKI, will sounded warmer and more bodied. The bass still clean without zero mid bass bleed. Timbre lover will love MkII rather than MkI

Mest Indigo sounded more detailed with more refine and balanced sound, but the price hike from Mest MkI and II is the real cons to me, maybe sligh refinement upgrade but with big cost, not worth in my opinion.

But worry not, any Mest model you choose, will have great magical imaging for sure, thats the Mest specialty. I compared side by side with Odin, u12t, sony M9, etc. Mest have at least similar capabilitiy in imaging department if not better. Tested with my Fiio M17 before
Thank you for this analysis! I tend to enjoy sparkly treble and a clear sound. I do enjoy impact bass but if it's got a good amount of accurate not overwhelming bass, that's good for me. Less into very warm or dark or veiled signatures.

Nov 24, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #60 of 111

Users who are viewing this thread

Back