Tube rolling
Apr 5, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #211 of 231
Youtube is full of tinnitus relief videos, but I suppose they are all click-bait nonsense?

Fortunately I don't suffer from tinnitus myself (I am not a musician nor have I listened to very loud music much in my life), but if I did, I would try all the tricks on Youtube. I mean the tricks such as snapping fingers against the back of your head etc. seem pretty harmless so why not try?
I haven't watched them. There is a lot of nonsense on youtube.
Thwacking myself in the head sounds like being punked. Not going there.

When you're younger, tinnitus can be temporary (such as after a loud concert). While such exposure can gradually create louder tinnitus, it doesn't happen all at once, overnight, in one ear, as the Meniere's did.

The first ENT I saw, literally gave up on me. That was a real thrill.

I then sought out the best ENT in my area (recommended by my primary doctor), who diagnosed me, and provided the script for meclizine.

I generally don't dispute the diagnosis of my doctors against youtube videos.

Apr 6, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #213 of 231
To me the big advantage of highly dynamic & fast transducers is that it can grab all the intensity from music even on low volumes.
If they really are “highly dynamic”, then it would be the opposite. You wouldn’t have “all the intensity” at low volumes, you wouldn’t have much of anything at all. You would need reduced dynamics to still have “all the intensity” at low volumes, EG. More audio compression. And, I’m not sure there are any slow transducers are there?
I've never came close on SS amp with such a dense & life like presentation like I did on tube setup with Svetlana winged C 12ax7.
That must be an illusion/perceptual error. Either the tube amp is transparent, in which case it will sound the same as SS amps or it adds audible harmonic distortion, in which case it will have lower fidelity and sound less life like. Although that might be more aurally pleasing (euphonic) to some.

G

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #214 of 231
If they really are “highly dynamic”, then it would be the opposite. You wouldn’t have “all the intensity” at low volumes, you wouldn’t have much of anything at all. You would need reduced dynamics to still have “all the intensity” at low volumes, EG. More audio compression. And, I’m not sure there are any slow transducers are there?

That must be an illusion/perceptual error. Either the tube amp is transparent, in which case it will sound the same as SS amps or it adds audible harmonic distortion, in which case it will have lower fidelity and sound less life like. Although that might be more aurally pleasing (euphonic) to some.

G

Listen to something like utopia/clear & hd650, you will see which transducers feels slow. In your way everyone is wrongly describing what dynamic headphone is…

Tube amp even if it’s transperent won’t play without tubes which adds it’s own flair to the sound. Illusion/perception, you can call it either way you want it, but to me it is better than SS

Apr 6, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #215 of 231
Listen to something like utopia/clear & hd650, you will see which transducers feels slow.
If a driver were “slow”, it wouldn’t be able to reproduce high frequencies, like a sub-woofer for example. I’ve never seen or heard HP’s that looked or sounded anything like a sub-woofer.
In your way everyone is wrongly describing what dynamic headphone is…
“Dynamic” refers to either the HP topology, dynamic driver vs planar for example or dynamic range. It can’t be the former because a HP either uses dynamic drivers or something else, it can’t be “highly dynamic”, so you must be referring to dynamic range.
Tube amp even if it’s transperent won’t play without tubes which adds it’s own flair to the sound.
Either it’s transparent OR it adds “it’s own flair” (distortion), it can’t be both.
Illusion/perception, you can call it either way you want it, but to me it is better than SS
Either it’s transparent, in which case any difference you hear must be placebo/perceptual error or it’s not transparent and is adding distortion, in which case it’s not better, it’s worse! The latter might sound better to you personally, as tube distortion is often euphonic, but that’s not because it is better, it’s because you prefer lower fidelity.

G

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #216 of 231
If a driver were “slow”, it wouldn’t be able to reproduce high frequencies, like a sub-woofer for example. I’ve never seen or heard HP’s that looked or sounded anything like a sub-woofer.

“Dynamic” refers to either the HP topology, dynamic driver vs planar for example or dynamic range. It can’t be the former because a HP either uses dynamic drivers or something else, it can’t be “highly dynamic”, so you must be referring to dynamic range.

Either it’s transparent OR it adds “it’s own flair” (distortion), it can’t be both.

Either it’s transparent, in which case any difference you hear must be placebo/perceptual error or it’s not transparent and is adding distortion, in which case it’s not better, it’s worse! The latter might sound better to you personally, as tube distortion is often euphonic, but that’s not because it is better, it’s because you prefer lower fidelity.

G

It is obvious when I mentioned few dynamic headphones in comparison, but you are still nitpicking to trigger a discussion.
You are just bored and want to argue with someone, sorry I’ve got better things to do. Thread is yours you can spread your ideas freely

Apr 6, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #217 of 231
It is obvious when I mentioned few dynamic headphones in comparison, but you are still nitpicking to trigger a discussion.
How is worse instead of “better” and low dynamic range instead of “highly dynamic” nitpicking?

G

Apr 6, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #218 of 231
How is worse instead of “better” and low dynamic range instead of “highly dynamic” nitpicking?

G
You are confusing low-fi with harmonic distortion. Google it, read some info on wiki if needed

Apr 6, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #219 of 231
You are confusing low-fi with harmonic distortion.
Are you really saying that adding distortion is higher fidelity? So would perfect fidelity be just complete distortion with no signal at all? Your concept of fidelity is completely backwards! How’s that possible considering the length of time you’ve been posting here?
Google it, read some info on wiki if needed
To have something so basic, so completely backwards, it really is “needed” for you to take your own advice!

G

Apr 6, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #220 of 231
I generally don't dispute the diagnosis of my doctors against youtube videos.
Well, the need for Youtube videos is significantly dropped, if you have got the diagnosis of your doctors. It is just that in some countries such as the USA healthcare is not a right, but a privilege meaning not everybody are able to have a diagnosis of a doctor (it would be too expensive) and Youtube videos suddenly become more relevant if that's all you have.

Apr 6, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #221 of 231
Are you really saying that adding distortion is higher fidelity? So would perfect fidelity be just complete distortion with no signal at all? Your concept of fidelity is completely backwards! How’s that possible considering the length of time you’ve been posting here?

To have something so basic, so completely backwards, it really is “needed” for you to take your own advice!

G

You set as harmonic distortion == low fidelity.
This is different than low quality recording, unwanted noise/distortion. As I said you just feel an urge to argue with someone. If not me you would go to different thread or even dig some old posts just to prove your point. Hopefully it helps you in some sort of way

Apr 6, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #222 of 231
You set as harmonic distortion == low fidelity.
So you ARE saying that more distortion is higher fidelity? It’s not just unbelievable that you don’t know what fidelity is, after all this time on this site, but also that you failed to take your own advice! Wikipedia states:

Ideally, high-fidelity equipment has inaudible noise and distortion, and a flat (neutral, uncolored) frequency response within the human hearing range.

So I’m not setting anything. High Fidelity is the lack of distortion, any sort of distortion. Therefore any sort of audible distortion, including harmonic distortion, is NOT high fidelity and you have it completely backwards!
This is different than low quality recording, unwanted noise/distortion.
Low fidelity doesn’t become high fidelity just because you personally want some noise or distortion!
As I said you just feel an urge to argue with someone.
You think maybe I should agree with someone who states the opposite of the basic audio facts? And why would you assert the opposite of the actual facts in the sound science forum to start with, does “it helps you in some way?”

G

Apr 6, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #223 of 231
Listen to something like utopia/clear & hd650, you will see which transducers feels slow. In your way everyone is wrongly describing what dynamic headphone is…

Tube amp even if it’s transperent won’t play without tubes which adds it’s own flair to the sound. Illusion/perception, you can call it either way you want it, but to me it is better than SS
A faster headphone will have higher frequencies(being able to move faster), or a better overall damping(being able to stop faster).
Here is the catch:
Higher frequencies brings up the subjective impression of "brightness", "air", "space", and stuff like that instead of a notion of speed.
Damping on headphones is typically too fast to cause a direct impression of "slow". A super boomy woofer might feel slow for both reasons but only because of the magnitudes involved. On headphones IMO it's a different story. That's why, yes, what feels slower to people is in many cases wrongly describing a headphone when expressed as a measure of speed.

You also talk about dynamic this and that, and as correctly pointed out by @gregorio, there is a disconnect between your fancy audiophile narrative and reality. Reading your posts for a while now, my conclusion is that you actually enjoy lower dynamic range and more distortions so long as it can be euphonic. Your support of vinyl also agrees with that idea.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #224 of 231
A faster headphone will have higher frequencies(being able to move faster), or a better overall damping(being able to stop faster).
Here is the catch:
Higher frequencies brings up the subjective impression of "brightness", "air", "space", and stuff like that instead of a notion of speed.
Damping on headphones is typically too fast to cause a direct impression of "slow". A super boomy woofer might feel slow for both reasons but only because of the magnitudes involved. On headphones IMO it's a different story. That's why, yes, what feels slower to people is in many cases wrongly describing a headphone when expressed as a measure of speed.

You also talk about dynamic this and that, and as correctly pointed out by @gregorio, there is a disconnect between your fancy audiophile narrative and reality. Reading your posts for a while now, my conclusion is that you actually enjoy lower dynamic range and distortions so long as it can be euphonic. Your support of vinyl also agrees with that idea.

If you read my signature you would see that my fav headphone is utopia which is far from being warm, but ok you seem to know better of what I enjoy . thanks for pointing this out.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #225 of 231
Americans also have short attention spans.😀 SUV sales stagnated other times gas went up to $4. When prices lowered again, sales of SUVs went back up. I seem to hear more complaints about gas prices needing to drop than this being a good opportunity to have better energy conservation.
This might have been true pre-covid.
I've been working from home over 2 years now. That dropped my commute from 30 miles one way, to zero.
The first year, it was 4 or 5 months before I refilled my gas tank. After 2 years worth, I average about 4 months to the tank. So, to compare:

$2700/year (@$4) pre pandemic
$357/year (@$7) post pandemic
Save $2343/year (working from home, even with $7 gallon gas)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back