TTVJ Phono Stage Loaner Program
May 6, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #16 of 43
The Mullards have been in place for a couple days now. For the most part they just ain't working to well in this setup. The synergy just isn't there like there is with the Amperex. The soundstage is wider ,but imaging is more diffuse. Overall probably a bit more refined sounding but that is the LAST thing this particular setup needs. IMO

I can certainly see that the Mullards would be sublime in some setups. (just not this one)
I just am not getting into the music as I was with the Amperex.

The JJs will be put in tommorow and I will report back with my findings.

May 7, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #17 of 43
Nice impressions Derek! I think you have done a good job of describing the phono stage's attributes. I ended up liking the Amperex tubes best but the Mullards had a pleasing sound and the JJs are great as stock tubes. Keep up the good reporting.

May 16, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gz76,

The phono stage is on its way to my friend in Australia. Once he has had his time with it he will be sending it to you. I hope you have fun with it and i look forward to your review!

Great, can't wait! PM me when it's heading my way.

May 19, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #20 of 43
Sooooo.......I have had the stock JJs rolled in for around a week or so.

WONDERFUL !! They clearly are a better fit sound wise in this particular setup than the Mullards. Now i'm not going to say they are a better tube because that simply is not the case. It just works better in this setup... thats all.

It is NOT on par with the Amperex ,but for the price it is GREAT in this Phono stage.

The bass is as with the Amperex Very impactful and quick.

The midbass area is a little round sounding and a little" blurred". But quite nice sounding and easy on the ears.

Lower mids on up are smooth and detailed but is NOT on par with the Amperex
by any stretch of the imagination. It just doesn't have the refinement of the NOS tubes. But NOT bad overall and still very very listenable and enjoyable.
Various horns and wind instument sound great but a little lifeless in comparison to the Amperex. Overall very nice and if one never heard them with the other tubes you would never know you were missing a thing.

Cymbals etc. are detailed but a very tiny bit "crispy" sounding for lack of a better word. (again in comparison to the Amperex) but I have heard much worse.

The soundstage is wide left to right but is lacking a bit of depth.(again in comparison to the Amperex)

I at this point wish I hadn't listened to the Amperex first, as it really kind of spoiled the experience of reviewing the stock unit. Don't get me wrong, the JJs are a really great sounding tube in this unit.
The negative points pointed out above are very very minor, and as said before if I had not listened to the Amperex first I would have still been absolutely floored with this little unit. I hope it does not seem that this review comes off as negative as there is nothing negative about this phono stage.(at all)
Even with the stock new production tubes this thing plays WAY out of it's pricerange. I will be sad to see it go. But very much look forward to the next reviewers thoughts and listening impressions.

Now it's time to put the Amperex back in and enjoy my remaining time with this bad boy.
cool.gif

May 20, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #21 of 43
Nice job on the impressions, Derek. I completely agree that the phono stage outperforms anything I have heard in the price range and beyond it. The stock tube setup is great but the Amperex were also my favorite upgrade. I've got to sell my ASL phono stage and buy one of these very soon.

May 22, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #22 of 43
Hi All,

Great job reviewing the phono pre Derek! The Mullards work well in my system but I like the Amperex very much also. Your review is very similar to my findings when we were deciding whether to do this project.

I hope you enjoy your time with the TTVJ Millett and we'll be in contact soon with the next reviewer.

We have a few on the list but if you want to get into the loaner action, please let us know soon!

As for gz76, please send em an e-mail with your address in Australia and I will get it to you in a week or so. (todd@ttvj.com)

Todd

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooh, is that this crazy guy or one of the others? Don't tell me gear-whore Tyrion jumped on it before me!

Actually it's a week later now, so I guess it wasn't me.

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #27 of 43
HI All,

Tyrion now has control of the unit (or at least he is supposed to have it!) Hopefully he is enjoying it and getting to write a big note about it so we can hear what he thinks...

Todd

Jul 7, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes Tyrion has it now. Looking forward to see what he thinks about it.

Speaking of which, where in the heck is Mike's impressions post?! Get a move on meet meister!

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of which, where in the heck is Mike's impressions post?! Get a move on meet meister!

I will get to it. It arrived last week sometime and didn't listen much over the weekend. I can say this as an initial impression, it is a bit noisier than my phono stage. I have an ASR Mini Basis and it is one of the more quiet phono stages I've heard.

EDIT: I had sent it back to Todd after I originally received it. There was a problem with a hum that needed Mr. Millets attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back