The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 19, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #89,611 of 90,523
Open the Woofers !
The Alter Ego are an open design IEM and still do a very good job of keeping outside noises isolated. Priced around a good median from many TOTL sets, the Alter Ego trades blows with some of the best IEMS on the market.
Pros:
-Staging Width(same characteristics you find in an "OPEN" Headphone but in IEM form)
-Imaging (very well in terms of panning and placement of instruments)
-Midrange/vocal performance (smooth and romantic)
-SUB "WOOFER" centric-esque bass with some dynamo
treble is soft/smooth(if this is your thing)
Cleaner presentation/Bass boost focused tuning dip switch
Cons:
-Staging depth and height seem to be lacking vs other TOTL sets.(depth is good with proper sources)
-Treble can come across as mute/soft pending on track (highly recommend a silver cable to boost this region).
-Resolution isn't the said all be all but fits the price bracket.
Recommendation:
Tips: Canal work CWU-GDEC*/ Eletech Baroque
Cable: Astra Eclipse.
IMG_4496.jpeg
IMG_4494.jpeg

May 19, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #89,612 of 90,523
TOTL Resolution Rhapsodio Supreme V3
Pros:
-Staging (depth and height is some of the best i've heard to date)
-Imaging (space between instruments is the best i've heard to date)
-Resolution just TOTL level
-Vocals (female particulary a strength)
-Acoustics and (live) are just superb

Cons:
-Treble needs a bit of refinement (cymbals and anything within that frequency range 4-5kish seem to come across as a little shrill)
-Big shell/stem and weight can be an issue for some.
-Cable synergy can be seen as a con or pro but can be a cable chameleon.
-Hard to drive for full potential.
-Stage width (but still very good for an IEM)
Recommendations:
cable: Beat Audio Oslo mk IV 8 wire
Tips: Canal Works CWU-GDECA / Eletech Baroque
1716168805349.png

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #89,614 of 90,523
@wazzupi Do you own the 465? What are those devices you are feeding it with?
It's a buddy of mine, he let me borrow it I thought, I included it in one of the two reviews XD but its basically T+A 200dac and streamer plus the MK465. he also has a SW1X tube DAC (I always foget the model).

May 19, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #89,615 of 90,523
TOTL Resolution Rhapsodio Supreme V3
Pros:
-Staging (depth and height is some of the best i've heard to date)
-Imaging (space between instruments is the best i've heard to date)
-Resolution just TOTL level
-Vocals (female particulary a strength)
-Acoustics and (live) are just superb

Cons:
-Treble needs a bit of refinement (cymbals and anything within that frequency range 4-5kish seem to come across as a little shrill)
-Big shell/stem and weight can be an issue for some.
-Cable synergy can be seen as a con or pro but can be a cable chameleon.
-Hard to drive for full potential.
-Stage width (but still very good for an IEM)
Recommendations:
cable: Beat Audio Oslo mk IV 8 wire
Tips: Canal Works CWU-GDECA / Eletech Baroque1716168805349.png

Insane setup! I think the SW1X Tube DAC should help with some refinement on the upper mids

May 20, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #89,616 of 90,523
I am sure that was a gargantuan task. What software did you use to rip all of those discs?
Primarily, Exact Audio Copy (EAC), which has been around forever. It's great, easy and free unless you upgrade features.

Still using it today.

May 20, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #89,618 of 90,523
Will be in SG over the weekend. Does Zep cover everything or are there other stores that may have something that Zep doesn’t?
Both Jaben and AV One are a must and you'll both find them in a mall dedicated to people like you us: Dozens of hifi shops (mostly opening after 13:00).

EDIT: For Jaben it may be best to familiarize yourself with the gear on their .sg website as they don't have all goodies in plain sight.

drftr

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #89,619 of 90,523
It’s one of very few options for the ie900 and it seemed to tame a little bit of the treble but I have since gone back to the smaller stock cable for convenience… If anyone knows of a very small light ie900 cable please let us know 🙏
Brise Audio bespoke cable for IE900? https://briseaudio.com/en/pages/bsepie900
I have the one for Z1R, very light and comfortable, should be the same.

Lavricables makes also excellent cables, should be even lighter and more comfortable than Brise but if you want anything else then silver you are out of luck
https://www.lavricables.com/cables/master-silver-sennheiser-ie-600-ie-900-mmcx-upgrade-cable/

If you want the lightest it may be this one https://www.plussoundaudio.com/cust...s-Custom-Cable-for-In-Ear-Monitors-p249423364 they do have a special connector for the IE900

May 20, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #89,621 of 90,523
Will be in SG over the weekend. Does Zep cover everything or are there other stores that may have something that Zep doesn’t?
As @drftr said, the other stores you should visit are AV One and Jaben. In the same building, you should also find Project Perfection (DITA, Lotoo, etc.).

May 20, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #89,622 of 90,523
Why not trying through @MusicTeck ? Pretty sure Andrew will be able to get Canpur responding to your request. Btw, impatient to know at what price the CP74e will retail…
I don't understand why Canpur started responding and asking me for STL files just to disappear shortly after :k701smile:
But yes, worst case scenario I'll email Andrew.

May 20, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #89,623 of 90,523
Thanks @Bengkia369! Didn't know that Audio Technica was using A2DC connectors.
For the ear tips are you using the one that were delivered with the IEMs ?
No problem, glad to help.
Yes, it's the original ear tips that comes with the iem.

May 20, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #89,624 of 90,523
Brise Audio bespoke cable for IE900? https://briseaudio.com/en/pages/bsepie900
I have the one for Z1R, very light and comfortable, should be the same.

Lavricables makes also excellent cables, should be even lighter and more comfortable than Brise but if you want anything else then silver you are out of luck
https://www.lavricables.com/cables/master-silver-sennheiser-ie-600-ie-900-mmcx-upgrade-cable/

If you want the lightest it may be this one https://www.plussoundaudio.com/cust...s-Custom-Cable-for-In-Ear-Monitors-p249423364 they do have a special connector for the IE900
Lavricables are good ones. Even though they're silver cables only, they don't sound like a typical silver cable and has the lushness of copper cables with good extension in the highs. Another under-appreciated item in head-fi

May 20, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #89,625 of 90,523

Users who are viewing this thread

Back