The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 28, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #87,781 of 89,174
This little guy would easily fit in the palm of my hand. Had to go out this morning to rescue him from a magpie attack/harassment. 5 minutes later was successfully reunited with his mother. ☺️🥲
IMG_20240428_075049605.jpg
IMG_20240428_075041779.jpg

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #87,782 of 89,174
Canpur CPBA7 and qdc 8PRO

Been loaning these two fine sets from my friend @Erkil , always good to have nice friends to share gear with. I thought I could share some online also, as there has not been so much exposure about these models.

Both the sets are all balanced armatures with the CPBA7 having 7 BAs, and the 8PRO having 8. Some price difference between the two with 8PRO being the most expensive at $1540 and the CPBA at $999.

iwrihEvKAKeLIS4GrEHRV44FlmNKw3YjKGgkiGUCZfAWQCeAICpnHW3ZVXsVetgtwjQQiKRmiSD8pLQLrIe1ZFZbImHXAOxSXzgG2N5iFZqaOcOmgQy0ABhBh-fSnzGgnw1kkzYykrnOW1Lj2FrwsTY

Starting off with the CPBA7, I was quite excited about this one since I loved the CP54E and also liked the CP32E. But I don’t feel this has the same quality tuning and technicalities as its brothers, especially noticeable in the bass that is more wooly and has less quality. Recently most BA sets are getting good at bass, but this seems like a step back to me. Bass reaches deep and is quite boosted, so it can be very fun if you're not too picky. But have a softer tonality with not that impactful punch.

The midrange is better but still on the more thick side, maybe due to how the bass also bleeds into the mids. This does make it less clear and crisp, for some good and others not. To me the midrange is quite engaging and works with most music, but is on the more soft side instead of going for crispness and clarity.

This highs is a little dark, some of it due to the balance against the larger bass shelf. There is some airyness even if it's a little dark. Also the soundstage I don't hear as anything special.

Also a point about the ergonomics, this has been the same for all the Canpur models I have tried. The angle of the Nozzle is quite aggressive, so I do get some pain after a while. Not the worst offender, but can be something to take into consideration.

WTE0piltI8xrjcHSws2vMXCgTqRL971GKQgt1HEz7ACN2pONkJJ3SafxTzLX8Pbsin1a4ApkcxLPbIJohMSu_i2NHnWHD9KKEQ48SEGlxeC8Ntwsb6-56vLUetITw9ZDy5oA7gLaRUihXrPyzkBESIQ

Then it's the qdc 8PRO, this one i'm quite in love with now. The IEM has the ergonomic shell very similar to other qdc models, it also has a tuning switch that mostly affects the bass with 3 settings. They have actually positioned it so it can be switched when you use the IEM and without a sim tool.
As a basshead I turned it on L for maximum bass, it gives it a good boost specially against the opposite switch on H.

This sound more technical than the Canpur with more detail and better soundstage, not at the level of the flagships qdc VX and V14. But not that far off either, it might actually be better on one point.

That being the bass, this has a BA bass that reminds me of CP54E that I praised for excellent BA bass. If it's at the same level it is just by memory so it's a vague statement, but i'm impressed.
Sub bass reaches deep and the mid bass has a good punch, it sounds clear and full. Not any wolly tendencies, and decay is not too slow or fast.

Midrange is also great, detailed and vibrant. Has some of that usual qdc midrange with good clarity, but less bite than the VX or NP.

Treble is quite similar to the Canpur and slightly dark, still airy and open, But going from brighter sets I need time to adjust to hear the treble detail, but with adjustment it's resolving and good. Just on the darker side, a good thing no music is tiresome.

As I mentioned the shell is ergonomic as other qdc models, so this one I can use for hours without any problems.

—----------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all I have for the models, it's been fun trying both. Even though the Canpur was a little disappointing to me.

Next on my testing is for a review instead, the Letshuoer Cadenza4. In my opinion maybe Cadenza4 is Letshuoer’s best model so far, hybrid with 1DD and 3BA. Neutral timbre with excellent safe tuning, I am very impressed from the first days with it. Also maybe the most comfortable IEM I have tried, small and ergonomic design.
Still a cheap IEM at $249 and maybe not of all interest here, but i'll share anyways :beerchug:

bSRNRtxeRc8mhqJhvR0FE1NtrXINDkynBhPkzbPj7V99MgCwknp7j08Q5A4wRz9fUPGT2Yghip2pGt0niJOTjUCDAvy5z-hOWlhln2S_ixo0dWmj5z7e7CyL06g8QhKQw8vibOwlFm1JBevbVkkOjcw

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #87,783 of 89,174
Sunday survey-- what is your hobby "Credo"? Which is to say, what are some of the guiding principles or notions you have arrived at or which help inform your journey through the audio landscape.

Here are a few of mine:

1) There is no one "right" way to embrace, approach or enjoy this hobby, and no one right way to appreciate and enjoy sound. What is ideal for one person may not at all work for someone else.

2) The listener, the act of listening, and that being listened to cannot be meaningfully divorced from one another. For this reason all measurements, no matter how elaborate and detailed, will only tell a small part of the story and there will never be a substitute for actually hearing something for yourself.

3) The human ear is the most perfect and only self-sufficient measurement rig there is. One should always listen to an IEM first and look at measurements second, lest the measurements skew your perception and expectation of the sound.

4) Target curves-- universal or personalized-- do not appeal to me. I can appreciate a wide variety of tunings, so long as they are well executed. Target curves tend to homogenize the listening experience and suck the life and soul out of it.

5) Most of what is important to me cannot be discerned from an FR curve.

6) While there are surely elements of both, good tuning is more of a art than a science. I am not interested in a tune-by-committee or algorithmic approach. I want to sense the inspiration and artfulness of the tuner.

7) I respect the rigidly science-based approach to this hobby...but it has never appealed to me personally.

8) The greater the degree one is able to follow their own passions and inclinations in this hobby and not get bogged down by the noise of other's opinions or the fog of hivemind and groupthink...the greater will be their own satisfaction in this hobby.

9) Everthing in the signal chain can affect sound in discernable ways-- often synergy is more important than any single factor. Key differences may not be apparent or jump out right away-- but will manifest and become apparent with repeated or extended listening. I can appreciate good BA bass in the short term, but in the long term something about it always triggers my OCD.

10) It takes a lot of time and experience to find out exactly what you like. Just as no two snowflakes are alike, it's reasonable to expect that no two people's tastes in audio will be exactly the same.

What are some of yours?

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #87,784 of 89,174
Does anyone have much experience with the Bellos X4? I got the universals.

IMG_0650.jpeg

IMG_0649.jpeg

Gorgeous build and craftsmanship and great technicalities for the price. I have had to tip roll a bit to find the right fit and have settled on the Eletech Baroque tips. I am kicking myself for not getting the customs!

Awesome! How do you like them so far? :smiley:

Hmm, I'm a huge fan of Baroque tips in general, but running those on a universal X4 might change the sound. As customs, and with their in-air canal system, the X4's insertion depth is fairly well-regulated. I've never heard the universals so I can't really say how close or far apart universals would be? But if somebody ever made the argument that the X4 is a prime candidate for customs, I can definitely see how that would be the case. Actually, IIRC, @Deezel177 had heard both versions?

Do they share any sonical DNA with FiR - preferably Rn6?

Nope. Well... it would be like how humans and honey bees share ~44% of their DNA. :smile: The X4 is way more of a balanced signature than the RN6.

@Deezel177 & @gLer have both reviewed it. @warrenpchi loves his.

You know what's crazy? When Vlad first asked me if I wanted to check out the Bellos X4, I had zero expectations. In fact, I didn't even know that Bellos Audio existed, Pure serendipity, but the X4 has easily become one of my favorite IEMs, of my entire time in this hobby.

They are amazing I got the Customs best fit ever!
See my review for the X4:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/bellos-audio-x4.27134/reviews#review-33371

Yeah, who would have thought that combining customs and tips would result in that? I guess Bellos did! :smile:

I heard that this is more reference tuned, and I lost my interest. However, you need to demo to know.

It is definitely a reference signature. That said, I'd call it a balanced monitor, as opposed to a neutral monitor like my UERM/UERR, as the bass response is far more natural than a traditional studio monitor. In rough terms:

Are you here for business or pleasure?
UERM: Business.
RN6: Pleasure.
X4: A little of both.

Today, I'm decidedly ChiFi, and the lowest of the low, in fact the least I've spent on an iem since I was a teenager.

This is the CCA Trio that @warrenpchi dared me to buy. Considering it was less than my last single doordash order (a pizza!), and because the "trio" stood for 3xDD, I jumped and it arrived from China fast. For $40, you don't get a lot in packaging, but you get this iem that is, for all intents and purposes, pretty much like others, though with 4 switches. Build quality is great.

The shocker is the performance after a lengthy burn in, which all of my DD sets have needed to some degree. I turned its switches into the down position (opposite of the way they came) after doing a little research to determine this would suit my bass preferences. Switched out its cable, stuck some Baroque tips on them, and lo and behold, here's a player in the multi DD arena!

Not gonna lie, they are ridiculously good for the price, and even forgetting the price, they're terrific.

Without question, great for the gym, the beach, the pool, wherever...if your dog chews them up, so what, order another one 😂. Thanks for the tip, Warren!
1000024265.jpg

Dammit! Now I have to get a pair! 🤣 Wait, I'm not being pranked am I? :thinking: BTW, how long was the burn-in period for you?

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #87,785 of 89,174
Sunday survey-- what is your hobby "Credo"? Which is to say, what are some of the guiding principles or notions you have arrived at or which help inform your journey through the audio landscape.
  1. thou shalt be skeptical of impressions from deaf ears;
  2. thou shalt be skeptical of thine own ears and get audiologists to take a look;
  3. thou shalt not look at /r/headphones except for a laugh from time to time;
  4. thou shalt demo and blind buy only if intoxicated;
  5. thou shalt not justify IEM based on cable roll worth 2x the cost of IEM; and
  6. thou shalt be keen to remember that listening to music is of paramount importance and writing a wordy review is a minor side-hobby.

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #87,786 of 89,174

What are some of yours?

If it makes you happy then that is what matters.

Price tags are not much more than the cost of ownership. There's obviously caveats to this but I since I've adopted this mindset I find myself in a happier state with the hobby.

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #87,787 of 89,174
1. Tune out the noise and what others think, buy what you love.
2. Own the music you love, don't become overly reliant on streaming.
3. Have fun.

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #87,788 of 89,174

Here are a few of mine:

1) There is no one "right" way to embrace, approach or enjoy this hobby, and no one right way to appreciate and enjoy sound. What is ideal for one person may not at all work for someone else.

2) The listener, the act of listening, and that being listened to cannot be meaningfully divorced from one another. For this reason all measurements, no matter how elaborate and detailed, will only tell a small part of the story and there will never be a substitute for actually hearing something for yourself.

3) The human ear is the most perfect and only self-sufficient measurement rig there is. One should always listen to an IEM first and look at measurements second, lest the measurements skew your perception and expectation of the sound.

4) Target curves-- universal or personalized-- do not appeal to me. I can appreciate a wide variety of tunings, so long as they are well executed. Target curves tend to homogenize the listening experience and suck the life and soul out of it.

6) While there are surely elements of both, good tuning is more of a art than a science. I am not interested in a tune-by-committee or algorithmic approach. I want to sense the inspiration and artfulness of the tuner.

7) I respect the rigidly science-based approach to this hobby...but it has never appealed to me personally.

8) The greater the degree one is able to follow their own passions and inclinations in this hobby and not get bogged down by the noise of other's opinions or the fog of hivemind and groupthink...the greater will be their own satisfaction in this hobby.

9) Everthing in the signal chain can affect sound in discernable ways-- often synergy is more important than any single factor. Key differences may not be apparent or jump out right away-- but will manifest and become apparent with repeated or extended listening. I can appreciate good BA bass in the short term, but in the long term something about it always triggers my OCD.

10) It takes a lot of time and experience to find out exactly what you like. Just as no two snowflakes are alike, it's reasonable to expect that no two people's tastes in audio will be exactly the same.

What are some of yours?
A few more :

A) Listening to music is heavily influenced by your emotional state and surroundings.
B) Discovering music is part of the process,enjoy it.
C) Don't stress over other people listening experience or preferences (including reviewers), enjoy your journey

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #87,789 of 89,174

Here are a few of mine:

What are some of yours?
These are mine so put “For me” in front of each of these please.

Design matters.

Stock cable has to be a good match and sound good, plus design matters.

Love unicorns and dislike the same sound signature I have heard before.

Charts are kind of irrelevant for me as design matters and unicorns win. Plus timbre matters which an averaged line cannot show me that, timbre quality requires listening.

Transducers matter the most in the chain.

At the prices I pay I do not expect to or want to have to equalize.

I still do not like switches, violates my design matters principle which leans towards less is more.

Venting is a must with DDs.

Never blind buy, buy off of charts, or hype.

Do not be an early adopter, let others try first.

Demo without looking at a chart, driver configuration, hype, or price, if possible to avoid any bias.

Demo for a minimum of 4 hours.

Demo with multiple genres and instrument types.

Demo infrequently to allow time to enjoy music and avoid developing fatigue with sets back to back.

Keep negative views in check, someone likely loves that set. Keep positive views in check someone likely hates that set. Honesty is good and helps though too much color will be annoying to somebody. And I want to spread joy not stress.

Note that I am so sensitive to upper mids and treble sharpness that I am not the last word on too sharp in this community, this makes sets incoherent for me since my mind can only focus on that when I hear that shrillness. Sometimes it takes a while to surface when it does I am out.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #87,790 of 89,174

Here are a few of mine:

What are some of yours?
Mine is: Buy once, cry once. Then buy again. Wash and repeat.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #87,791 of 89,174

Yes, and I'm often perplexed by the obsessive search for absolutes in a relative world - not just in this hobby, but across many hobbies.

:smile: My signature: "Your ears are the best measuring rig for gauging personal enjoyment...so if it sounds good, then it is good."

I do have some other thoughts on this, but as they are potentially controversial, I'll hold my tongue for the time being. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I actually don't look at measurements very often. Just about the only time I do, is when they are posted here in the forums, and I see them as I'm catching up with posts. This is not to say that I think they have no value, because they are valid data points to be sure. It's more like, well, I just don't care.

Now, having said that, I should also note that I have the luxury of not caring. Because I enjoy the privilege of access, it's much easier for me to get an audition - whether it be from meets, CanJams, reviews, tours, etc. - than it is for most members. The result of that privilege is never having to blind-buy anything. For those without that access, yes, I can totally understand how measurements take on more meaning.

With regards to tuning targets, I think they've been framed so as to sound more important than they are. I'm fine with the fact that they exist, but just to keep them in perspective, it's important to understand targets for what they truly are: somebody else's preference(s). That's it.

And that complexity extends my time in the hobby! :smiley: If I wanted to end my journey in this hobby, I know exactly what gear I would get in order to call it day. But in all seriousness, how boring would that be? By exploring new gear, I get to experience endless variety, and to share those experiences with others... some of whom are the most interesting and wonderful people I've met in life. Why would I ever want to give that up?

And it's also important for us to remember that our own preferences can - and do - change over time. Sometimes this can happen for hearing health reasons, but more often than not, I've seen it happen as we expand our musical horizons. And if my preferences change as a result, I can't even begin to tell you how much I don't care about that.

I see new music exploration as a win-win. It enriches me, offering me more enjoyment as my tastes adjust to suit, without invalidating any previous listening experience. With each new artist and genre that I discover and explore, what I like is subtlety nudged to and fro, and I am totally onboard with that! :slight_smile:

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #87,792 of 89,174

Here are a few of mine:

What are some of yours?
Once you know your preference and what you like, make sure go all the way to buy the best that you can afford because eventually you will be there, and any purchase of second-best will be a waste of your money, this is especially true for accessories. I have bought 4 or 5 upgrade cables for Z1R, before I eventually gave up and bought the best one.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #87,793 of 89,174
Would really recommend paring the dragon scale 2 cable and Auking cable from their brand as well. One for well-balanced(treble controlled) tech-enhance performance, another for magic 'golden' tinted mids, if you trust the cable magic.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #87,794 of 89,174

Here are a few of mine:

What are some of yours?
Classifieds sale from reliable members of this forum is a good way to get awesome deals

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #87,795 of 89,174

Here are a few of mine:

What are some of yours?

My personal credo:

1) Measurements and frequency responses give me a general idea of what to expect, but do not tell me the whole story. It can tell me the general sound signature, it also tell me if I might want to be careful (not necessarily outright avoid) due to my own personal HRTF, like in the 5-7K band.

2) Hearing is very individual, like a fingerprint. What I hear, how I process what I hear, and how I enjoy what I enjoy will not be the same to someone else.

3) I am not, nor will I ever be, in any position to tell someone that they are wrong.

4) Just because I spend/spent more than someone does not give me the right to negate/diminish someone else’s purchase.

5) We are all here because share the same hobby and enthusiasm, so treat everyone with respect, even if (especially if) I don’t agree with them. I can also disagree with someone and still value their opinion and value them as an individual.

6) There’s always more for me to learn and experience, so keep an open mind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back