The ultimate gaming headset? (Beyerdynamic DT 770 microphone mod)
Sep 8, 2006 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

craigbru

New Head-Fier
Short time reader, first time poster here...

Who says you have to compromise to get a get a mic and great cans? This was a pretty simple mod, yet it took a little time to get it all figured it out. I had the following goals in mind when I set out to add a microphone to my Beyer's.

1.) There was to be no modification of the headset. It had to be completely stock.
2.) Due to the above condition, the mic had to be removable when not in use.
3.) The mic had to look like it belonged.
4.) It had to be practical, and completely functional.

I came up with the following base upon those 4 points above.

Right here are the materials I needed. I've got a piece of aluminum sheet, a package of stick on velcro, a 10' mini plug extension cable, and finally an inexpensive headset with mic. This last part was crucial. I only payed about $8 for it, but it was perfect for my needs. The flexible and detachable mic boom was exactly what I was after.

img2255zt2.jpg

This is the piece of aluminum that I cut after a little trial and error.

img2257td7.jpg

Here is that same aluminum piece cleaned up, sanded, and bent to fit around the headset cup. I have also painted it with a black textured finish to match the plastic on the Beyer's.

img2258dv3.jpg

Here I have attached the extension cable to the bracket. In this picture I have used electrical tape, but will attach it using heatshrink tubing as soon as I get some.

img2259ri7.jpg

Here is the bracket attached to the Beyer's. Looks factory enough, huh?

img2260xo2.jpg

I used the velcro attached to the cords, to keep them organized.

img2261rt7.jpg

I'm very happy with the way that these turned out. It truly does give me the best of both worlds. Now, it's time to get my game on!

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 47
Nice work craigbru. That pic of the bracket painted in your fingers looks "factory"

I always say - I can make anything out of sheet metal. My wife has heard that one too many times
tongue.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 47
Wow, very nice. I'm gonna have to keep track of this page if I ever end up with some DT770's and a need for a mic. I'm looking into the DT770's as a set of cans for movies while I'm at college.

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 47
That looks really cool. Good stuff. I only have on question. My wife actually has a pair of these cans (yes she is a bass head just don't tell here I said it) and I borrowed them for a few gaming sessions after all the hype. The one thing that was a deal breaker for me was that because they seal so well I found myself talking way too loud into the mic to annoyance of my wife, probably the neighbors, my team members and even myself. I have since stuck to open cans or headsets.

How do you work around that hermetical seal that the 770s have?

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 47
Nice mod, can we see a picture of the entire headphone avec the mic being worn so we can proclaim you king of velcro gamers?

Sep 9, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJackSkanz
That looks really cool. Good stuff. I only have on question. My wife actually has a pair of these cans (yes she is a bass head just don't tell here I said it) and I borrowed them for a few gaming sessions after all the hype. The one thing that was a deal breaker for me was that because they seal so well I found myself talking way too loud into the mic to annoyance of my wife, probably the neighbors, my team members and even myself. I have since stuck to open cans or headsets.

How do you work around that hermetical seal that the 770s have?

I was using Logitech z5500 5.1's prior, so me simply talking loudly, is much better than before. One of the biggest reasons I chose the DT 770's, was for their ability to block out all ambient noise. So, I guess I really don't have a work around...

Sep 9, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Nice mod, can we see a picture of the entire headphone avec the mic being worn so we can proclaim you king of velcro gamers?

Sure thing.

I picked up my missing shrink wrap, so I can get rid of that electrical tape. I'll get a full shot of them once the wrap is in place.

Sep 9, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #15 of 47
Cool, sure beats the zalman one
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back