The New Chord Quartet MScaler Discussion Thread
May 13, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #76 of 186
Take something simple like changing an input or the volume. How do you do that? It isn't at all obvious. Why aren't the controls on the DAVE labelled, using the same symbols that are just about universal for most audio/video devices? What do the coloured blobs mean on the MScaler ? Why are there two remotes? Why do almost all of the buttons on the original DAVE remote do nothing?
DAVE's original remote is a travesty. Apparently current preamps come with something similarly obnoxious.

If I was you I would contact a shop that sells Chord stuff and buy the replacement DAVE remote. It's still a toy worthy of a £100 hi-fi, but the buttons are pretty clear on the subject of volume control and with an HMS as the source, there's nothing else other people would need to interact with - well, the mute button is there, too, clearly labelled.

I'm still curious why you are making changes to HMS as really it's meant to be a set-and-forget product. My remote for my HMS is in the same cupboard as HMS and gets no use. I know where the replacement batteries for my DAVE remote are, when they expire :)

Anyway, I think you'd prefer the newer DAVE remote even though it's tacky.

May 13, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #77 of 186
I'm still curious why you are making changes to HMS as really it's meant to be a set-and-forget product.
You might want to switch inputs (otherwise why has it got any?). You might want to set it up after you powered it off before going away. Some inquisitive/careless person might have pressed the balls when trying to get some music out. I did actually get a new DAVE remote. Although it doesn’t really remote control much, or very usefully - you have to cycle through inputs and since you are remote you can’t see the screen to know which one you’ve got to. And still really unacceptable that you need two remotes - one to change inputs and one to change volume.

May 13, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #78 of 186
To this day I can’t remember which button in the Dave menu is up and which is down and the remote is the other way around, it makes no sense😄
UI from sofa: 1/10, UI with headphones 3/10 Sound:15/10.
I find it super easy to remember settings on M scaler and Hugo 2, so i hoped Quartet would work without display, but for the EQ you need one I guess.

May 13, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #79 of 186
To this day I can’t remember which button in the Dave menu is up and which is down and the remote is the other way around, it makes no sense😄
UI from sofa: 1/10, UI with headphones 3/10 Sound:15/10.
I find it super easy to remember settings on M scaler and Hugo 2, so i hoped Quartet would work without display, but for the EQ you need one I guess.
Yes, the eq will be a real test. Many people will want different eq presets for the different headphones and speakers they might own, as well as wanting manufacturer endorsed settings such as Audeze offer. And wouldn’t it be nice if crosstalk was settable on the M Scaler and could be associated with a preset which would thus work round the bug in the DAVE. Hopefully such functionality will be forthcoming, commensurate with the price of the product.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #80 of 186
Many people will want different eq presets for the different headphones and speakers they might own
I absolutely need minimum 3 programmable presets. I switch my headphones constantly.
manufacturer endorsed settings
Don’t want that tbh. What do you want? An audiophile bass boost setting😆?

May 13, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #81 of 186
Why do almost all of the buttons on the original DAVE remote do nothing?
I presume that you are referring to the original Dave remote which had the metallic case.

It always surprised me how unpleasant the subsequent arguments about it became.
In simple terms, on one side there were those owners who liked the metallic case because it looked expensive (even though most of the buttons did nothing), and on the other side were those owners happy with the cheaper plastic case with only the buttons needed to control the functionality of the DAVE.

I hope that we don't get a repeat with the Quartet remote.

May 13, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #82 of 186
I presume that you are referring to the original Dave remote which had the metallic case.

It always surprised me how unpleasant the subsequent arguments about it became.
In simple terms, on one side there were those owners who liked the metallic case because it looked expensive (even though most of the buttons did nothing), and on the other side were those owners happy with the cheaper plastic case with only the buttons needed to control the functionality of the DAVE.

I hope that we don't get a repeat with the Quartet remote.
In the third decade of the twenty first century when you buy an extremely expensive product which claims to be state of the art it isn’t too much to expect a remote control which controls all the aspects of a product, including direct selection of a source, and expecting that remote to be in a nice case. My original DAVE remote was huge, plastic, and virtually all the buttons didn’t work as labeled. The subsequent small remote was also plastic, the relatively few buttons do work, but I can’t directly select an input. Not very good really. Why can’t I control the volume from Roon via USB? Not everyone uses this stuff on a desktop within arms reach.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #83 of 186
The Quartet remote could include at least volume buttons for Dave and other Chord DACs. The Volume buttons are the only ones that I need for Dave when using it with the M-Scaler. All my digital sources are connected to the M-Scaler, so I switch the M-Scaler inputs and on/off the Video mode via the remote. But this is just my user case.

Also, a lock mode would be fine for visitors, cleaning staff, etc. Even if you tell them not to touch your orbs and audio stuff, they do. And sometimes, it took me a while to find out why there was no or different sound.

May 13, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #84 of 186
In the third decade of the twenty first century when you buy an extremely expensive product which claims to be state of the art it isn’t too much to expect a remote control which controls all the aspects of a product, including direct selection of a source, and expecting that remote to be in a nice case.
I agree with you.
The only small point where we might argue, is that we all need to know the definition of 'nice case', because nice can mean different things to different owners.

May 13, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #85 of 186
A remote with illuminated balls for the keys would be a coordinated touch.

May 14, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #86 of 186
1715676335912.png

May 14, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #88 of 186
May 14, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #89 of 186
May 14, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #90 of 186
At the beginning of my experiences with Chord products I thought that the management with colored buttons was "questionable", but over time I appreciated the fact that a glance is enough to understand the status. I hope the remote that was posted above has at least the basic controls.....:smile:
Despite many efforts I couldn't appreciate the current Scaler, I hope the Quartet is a huge step forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back