The discovery thread!
Oct 4, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #87,031 of 104,180
Anyone can compare Variations vs Fiio Fh9?
Me.

FH9, Less bass, but more texture and info on the low frequencies, VARIATIONS got more punch, and its a reference on sub-bass tuning. Mids are similar, maybe cleaner on the VARIATIONS. Treble...maybe VARIATIONS got a more "air" sensation, but stage is a little bit better on the FH9. Both are really good on technical deparment, from timbre to coherence, I prefer the Timbre of the FH9 but the VARIATIONS feel more coherent.

Packaging and build is on another level on the FiiO, the cable is top, also comes with a beautiful case and fantastic tips selection.

I should start to add some photos on my comparisons, to probe Ive got both at home 😁😁😁

Oct 4, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #87,032 of 104,180
For those who are unaware: Precogvision is cooking up an IEM with DUNU called Mirai:

https://www.0db.co.kr/FREE/3357129

It's allegedly going to be a headphones.com exclusive.

Edit: Graph: https://precog.squig.link/?share=IEF_Neutral_Target,DUNU_Mirai_S2

Very 64audio which is very inline with what Precog likes.

Kiwi Ears Melody planar.

Big bold bass shelf and extended treble.

Should be a tuning that works well with the planar driver.

Please, stop.

My wallet can't follow the rhythm.

Beautiful FRs

Oct 4, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #87,033 of 104,180
I don't see any info on Tangzu Xuanwu Gate anywhere.
All I know is that it's a tribrid. No detailed pictures, no price information, no sound impressions and no info on what three drivers are in this IEM.
They were supposedly available for listening at two audio shows late September together with the Nezha (6 BA+1 pzt).

Does anybode here know more? I do hope TOTL for Tangzu doesn't mean above $600. That's the price of the most expensive IEM I ever bought and those don't fit my ears very well (and the sound was way too intense).

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #87,035 of 104,180
I thought that "tuning" is just a variation of the Variations and the like... :thinking:

I was on the go when reading your reply, my bad so I replied differently.

Yeah I mean Variations is one of few in the midfi that tuned like TOTL but Variations have rolled off treble extension and too scooped 200hz

That tuning (Dunu x Precog Mirai) actually resembles TOTL tuning that I heard in some TOTLs, so you're not wrong either they tuned similarly but thats the one of the best tuning.

1. Clean cut bass shelf, neutral until 200hz and never bleed on 100-150hz but have great punch on 50-60hz. Actually the sub bass 30hz is less heard but yeah bigger is better maybe

2. Less than +8db pinna gain, so it more balance and not shouty on upper mids and not too big gap from lower mids so mids aren't thin.

3. High extension, not roll off especially on 12khz and 15/16khz.

That 3 conditions must meet to have great TOTL tuning. Sounded easy but only few done it right.
Z1R, u12t, Annihilator, Monarch, Mest, Odin (little bit too shouty on 2khz), Tia Trio, Subtonic Storm, Helios have these 3 conditions meet. And thats TOTL tuning.
The Variations happen to be midfi IEM that have 2 conditions 1 and 2 but lack of no 3

Meanwhile harman tuned IEM also have similar tuning. Harman target is created from sample from 700 people or something, but not all of the are audiophiles.
Maybe this lead to personal preferences but I do prefer those TOTL tuning than harman tuning IEMs. Harman always too shouty for me.

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #87,036 of 104,180
I recently got to try the Binary x Gizaudio Chopin. I was given a review unit at Can Jam. I wanted to say it’s and slightly warm iem that is extremely well tuned. I have turned down review units before as my integrity is important. I have no desire to review an item I’d never use myself. I’m a middle class and money is tight. I’m also a middle-aged Dad who values their time and money. I’m not trying to make a collab, or money off my reviews, but share my opinions so others can make good choices about what to buy. I have done many head-fi reviews and recently started a YouTube channel and watch 3-4 hours a day of most audio reviewers. I have a career that I love and only want this as a hobby to help others find joy in the hobby. Saying everything is good only benefits sales but is untruthful. When asked about a demo unit I only agreed when I heard the product and felt it in my ears. It feels and sounds like a product worth reviewing and was one of my favorite items at canjam.

Sonic impressions are strong as my library sounds good on it. I listen to a lot of music on Tidal and am happy to share my playlists.

The shape was a major concern for me as I thought it wouldn’t fit but I find it works well for me and it’s really comfortable.
It has a unique sound signature that sounds good on everything that I throw at it. The base quality is not as strong as the Monarch mk 3. Hype 2 has the same base as the Monarch, tonal balance is much better than hype 2 in Chopin. Hype 2 just wasn’t good for me. Chopin’s treble is nice and crisp yet not over the top. It is a weakness of this item as is bass quality.

It sounds natural and juicy on my music. Rich and full. Mids are deep and rich. I like it a great deal. Binary is a fairly new company to the west This was a concern for me. But I feel they have delivered sonically with this iem.

The older that I get the more I realize comfort and enjoyment are important to the experience. Not all of us want to have large iems in our ears for long as it is uncomfortable. This iem hit both of my major concerns. I don’t think it is the best iem in the world but it competes with other iems in a higher bracket.

Going to Canjam this past weekend was game-changing for me. I find this iem better fitting than most as the shape seems to allow more air into my ears. This helps me feel less fatigued and allows me to listen longer.

The iem is an extremely classy design, Juicy gooey timbre, and music snd podcasts are rich and enjoyable without being bloated or sibilant. I just wanted to share some opinions on this iem that may not be on your radar. If you get a chance to hear it or got to hear it at Can Jam, I’d love to hear what you thought. With this in my collection, it makes many other iems redundant. Thanks for reading.

I don’t know the price yet. I’m excited to hear what it is.

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #87,037 of 104,180
I recently got to try the Binary x Gizaudio Chopin. I was given a review unit at Can Jam. I wanted to say it’s and slightly warm iem that is extremely well tuned. I have turned down review units before as my integrity is important. I have no desire to review an item I’d never use myself. I’m a middle class and money is tight. I’m also a middle-aged Dad who values their time and money. I’m not trying to make a collab, or money off my reviews, but share my opinions so others can make good choices about what to buy. I have done many head-fi reviews and recently started a YouTube channel and watch 3-4 hours a day of most audio reviewers. I have a career that I love and only want this as a hobby to help others find joy in the hobby. Saying everything is good only benefits sales but is untruthful. When asked about a demo unit I only agreed when I heard the product and felt it in my ears. It feels and sounds like a product worth reviewing and was one of my favorite items at canjam.

Sonic impressions are strong as my library sounds good on it. I listen to a lot of music on Tidal and am happy to share my playlists.

The shape was a major concern for me as I thought it wouldn’t fit but I find it works well for me and it’s really comfortable.
It has a unique sound signature that sounds good on everything that I throw at it. The base quality is not as strong as the Monarch mk 3. Hype 2 has the same base as the Monarch, tonal balance is much better than hype 2 in Chopin. Hype 2 just wasn’t good for me. Chopin’s treble is nice and crisp yet not over the top. It is a weakness of this item as is bass quality.

It sounds natural and juicy on my music. Rich and full. Mids are deep and rich. I like it a great deal. Binary is a fairly new company to the west This was a concern for me. But I feel they have delivered sonically with this iem.

The older that I get the more I realize comfort and enjoyment are important to the experience. Not all of us want to have large iems in our ears for long as it is uncomfortable. This iem hit both of my major concerns. I don’t think it is the best iem in the world but it competes with other iems in a higher bracket.

Going to Canjam this past weekend was game-changing for me. I find this iem better fitting than most as the shape seems to allow more air into my ears. This helps me feel less fatigued and allows me to listen longer.

The iem is an extremely classy design, Juicy gooey timbre, and music snd podcasts are rich and enjoyable without being bloated or sibilant. I just wanted to share some opinions on this iem that may not be on your radar. If you get a chance to hear it or got to hear it at Can Jam, I’d love to hear what you thought. With this in my collection, it makes many other iems redundant. Thanks for reading.

I don’t know the price yet. I’m excited to hear what it is.
I hope it's reasonably priced, I'm rooting for Timmy for some reason. I honestly don't know why, but I'm not going to question it. It's nice to occasionally wish well for a stranger in a world that rewards hot-takes and hate.

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #87,038 of 104,180
1696442100343.png

Oct 4, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #87,039 of 104,180
I was on the go when reading your reply, my bad so I replied differently.

Yeah I mean Variations is one of few in the midfi that tuned like TOTL but Variations have rolled off treble extension and too scooped 200hz

That tuning (Dunu x Precog Mirai) actually resembles TOTL tuning that I heard in some TOTLs, so you're not wrong either they tuned similarly but thats the one of the best tuning.

1. Clean cut bass shelf, neutral until 200hz and never bleed on 100-150hz but have great punch on 50-60hz. Actually the sub bass 30hz is less heard but yeah bigger is better maybe

2. Less than +8db pinna gain, so it more balance and not shouty on upper mids and not too big gap from lower mids so mids aren't thin.

3. High extension, not roll off especially on 12khz and 15/16khz.

That 3 conditions must meet to have great TOTL tuning. Sounded easy but only few done it right.
Z1R, u12t, Annihilator, Monarch, Mest, Odin (little bit too shouty on 2khz), Tia Trio, Subtonic Storm, Helios have these 3 conditions meet. And thats TOTL tuning.
The Variations happen to be midfi IEM that have 2 conditions 1 and 2 but lack of no 3

Meanwhile harman tuned IEM also have similar tuning. Harman target is created from sample from 700 people or something, but not all of the are audiophiles.
Maybe this lead to personal preferences but I do prefer those TOTL tuning than harman tuning IEMs. Harman always too shouty for me.
From my dissertation experience of some IEMs the FR is actually quite easy to achieve by sacrificing a bit of the drivability. It is just that the super budget chifi makers not understanding how it is done. I cannot say much about the treble extension as I think measurements are not accurate in that region and usually don't reflect what we actually hear. Let me do some A/B comparisons between the Odin and my modded Variations later.

Oct 4, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #87,040 of 104,180
I’m a middle class and money is tight. I’m also a middle-aged Dad who values their time and money.

Interesting. In my head, I see you as a twenty-something college graduate :dt880smile:

tonal balance is much better than hype 2 in Chopin. Hype 2 just wasn’t good for me.

Ouch, that's unfortunately that Hype2 does not work for you.

Tonal preference is strange thing. On one side, I have people asking my recommendation for something sounding like E5000, the IEM with best tonality they have ever heard (we are talking about folks chasing $$$$$$$ IEMs here). On the other side, we have people absolutely disgusted by the sound of E5000 and prefer something like Monarch II/III/Hype2/IEF neutral, bla bla. The more I try and review stuffs, the less sense it makes sometimes.

some IEMs the FR is actually quite easy to achieve by sacrificing a bit of the drivability

Symphonium and Subtonic would like to know your address :dt880smile: I prefer less sensitivity rather than more sensitivity though. Just look at the Andromeda line. Hisses with most sources, even high-end ones.

Speaking of FR and tonality, I'm reading this article about the new BK 5128 https://headphones.com/blogs/features/the-shape-of-iems-to-come

I don't know. Having some conflicting thoughts and, strangely, gradually bubbling up anger at the moment. It's like you have a pair of eyes that you rely on for a long time. It's not the best, but it's reliable within its context, and it has served its purpose well. But now, "no no my friend, your eyes are crap, you need these unaffordable eyes to be relevant"

This must be how people feel reading my research papers :dt880smile:

Anyhow, Kinera Celest Phoenixcall review should be done before the end of this week.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #87,041 of 104,180
From my dissertation experience of some IEMs the FR is actually quite easy to achieve by sacrificing a bit of the drivability. It is just that the super budget chifi makers not understanding how it is done. I cannot say much about the treble extension as I think measurements are not accurate in that region and usually don't reflect what we actually hear. Let me do some A/B comparisons between the Odin and my modded Variations later.

I always put that crin's word "anything past 8khz isn’t reliable" but I was wrong. From time to time gaining more experience listening to many sets, measured, the ones with boosted extension on the graph really have more audible air and sharper imaging, around 12khz and 15khz.
Of course all the graph don't shows everything, even different drivers have different behaviors (like BA is more sharp and shrill so need tone down compensation).

About drivability I agree, tweaking the resistance can adjust the overall balance between overall bass to trebles, or trebles to bass like tweaking with EQ with very low Q factor but affecting entire frequencies. Similar to plugin resistance plug adding ohm to the sets.

And you got that tweaking gift. I would be very thankful if I can do mod like the way you're doing to be honest. Understanding about those electronic thingy and be able do soldering that micro components are true blessings in this hobby.

Oct 4, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #87,043 of 104,180
For those who are unaware: Precogvision is cooking up an IEM with DUNU called Mirai:

https://www.0db.co.kr/FREE/3357129

It's allegedly going to be a headphones.com exclusive.

Edit: Graph: https://precog.squig.link/?share=IEF_Neutral_Target,DUNU_Mirai_S2

Very 64audio which is very inline with what Precog likes.
I really like the graph, yet I would prefer a bit less bass tuck. The rest of the graph has dips in all the right places. I also like the nicely controlled rise for the simulated pinna gain. This should be a very non-fatiguing IEM to listen to. Thanks for sharing the info!

Oct 4, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #87,044 of 104,180
I always put that crin's word "anything past 8khz isn’t reliable" but I was wrong. From time to time gaining more experience listening to many sets, measured, the ones with boosted extension on the graph really have more audible air and sharper imaging, around 12khz and 15khz.
Of course all the graph don't shows everything, even different drivers have different behaviors (like BA is more sharp and shrill so need tone down compensation).
I think the thing here is having a FR beyond 12kHz is more of a guarantee of more air instead but the air is actually not entirely reproduced in that region, in fact the air is more likely a response of high sensitivity low output drivers - exactly what the EST drivers are about. I could have used a band pass filter software plug-in to make some tracks to do the tests but still too lazy to do it.
About drivability I agree, tweaking the resistance can adjust the overall balance between overall bass to trebles, or trebles to bass like tweaking with EQ with very low Q factor but affecting entire frequencies. Similar to plugin resistance plug adding ohm to the sets.

And you got that tweaking gift. I would be very thankful if I can do mod like the way you're doing to be honest. Understanding about those electronic thingy and be able do soldering that micro components are true blessings in this hobby.
It's very easy, you just need a good soldering iron. I personally use a C245 high frequency iron, it's a joy to solder, lol. The hardest part is to extract the components without damaging the shell, lol.

And BTW, I honestly think 3D printed shells / resin shell can never beat the focus and speed of metal shell so I really hesitate to pay a large sum for IEMs with a soft shell. Those are good for custom purposes thou. I think the quote "Only when the tide goes out do you discover who has been swimming naked" really applies here. Too many untrue claims in this market.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #87,045 of 104,180
New personal goal: become big enough as a reviewer so that I can see my dream sound signature becomes a real IEM.

(Or learn how to make and tune my IEMs like HiFri)

I wonder why Dunu wants a collab, besides marketing clout. They already nailed the tuning with the Falcon Ultra recently.

Edit: that’s a very promising graph. Seems like my kind of sound. Wonder if the technical performance is any good.
The technical performance might depend on if Dunu is using RLC crossovers versus simpler RC crossovers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back