The discovery thread!
May 14, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #101,477 of 103,518
The POINT is I'm not connected to any company, and I also don't do reviews (I used to, and I also used to get free samples as well as discounted samples), so my SPIRIT in this room is to point out MY VISION OF WHAT A DISCOVERY VALUE IS, and for those who might be new, living on a hard budget, or looking for top value to performance, can use all bits of information to make an educated decision on what IEM will best fit their aural blueprint.

Another thing, and you shouldn't get so offended when someone offers differing opinions of your blind allegiance to Penon or any other company, or ask a question in regards to a product you "advertise" on the thread? Also, I don't need to hear every IEM that is released to have an opinion on it. WHY? Because of the job you reviewers are doing. So if you aren't internally a "shill", and if you are doing "God's work" in a truly honest way, then any one of us laymen can learn exactly what an IEM is about. Multiple honest reviews, read by someone with experience and knowledge, pretty much can get the foundation of what an IEM "sounds like", without having to personally try them all out. Many of us aren't fortunate enough to get free samples sent our way, or get them at a great discount, or for those who say "but I buy all my gear!", that's fantastic you're wealthy enough to buy everything released, or foolish enough to rack up credit card debt? Either way, I judge you not for it, and salute whoever is in that position, or the person getting the free samples for review purposes. I know that feeling, and it's rad. But back to what I was saying, I don't need to hear them all to know what something sounds like. If so, reviewers and impressions would be USELESS and INEFFECTIVE, and so what would that make you?

Lastly, I'm presenting a HIGHLY RESPECTED AND POSITIVELY REVIEWED IEM that is less than half the cost of the Penon Voltage with almost the same technical specs. So for someone who is looking for that kind of rig, and is on a budget, or looking to get a taste of summit fi at a mid fi price, then based on an overwhelming response from respected reviewers, the Volare definitely should be presented alongside the Voltage at $1,300 with taxes. Did I say the Voltage sucked and shouldn't be purchased or considered? That's never been said or shared. I'd never do that. Twice I've posted the Volare side by side with the Voltage, as a price comparison based on the similar tech. So unless you are a Penon representative and we don't know about this, there shouldn't be any reaction at all to a low key alternative? Right?
So I guess that means no........you haven’t heard the two back to back? :) I was simply posting a new discovery in a product that came up for sale (just then) and in-turn sharing what I learned. Cheers, enjoy your music.

Edit:
Maybe down the line we will get comparisons between the two, that would be great!

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #101,478 of 103,518
Just received my Himalayas! Holy cow these things are beautifully made and really feel premium and nice. The nozzles are indeed too short as some folks have mentioned, but I've got a Simgot tuning kit on the way. They work well with the Dunu S&S tips at the moment though.

Sound impressions so far are extremely positive. So much impact and fun throughout the FR.

The more titanium in my life the better. Great modular cable too as one would expect from a cable company.
1000004662.jpg

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #101,480 of 103,518
Just received my Himalayas! Holy cow these things are beautifully made and really feel premium and nice. The nozzles are indeed too short as some folks have mentioned, but I've got a Simgot tuning kit on the way. They work well with the Dunu S&S tips at the moment though.

Sound impressions so far are extremely positive. So much impact and fun throughout the FR.

The more titanium in my life the better. Great modular cable too as one would expect from a cable company.
1000004662.jpg
They are one of the very best values this year! Enjoy.

May 14, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #101,481 of 103,518
There are some highly competent iems out there right now. The Pilgrim, the Dita Project M, the Volare, among others are giving bang for the dollar. My question is how do they compare to established iems like the Studio 4, the Oracle Mk 2, the Advar, and the Twilight?

I love the Advar (and still kick myself for not picking up the ex-tour unit), but I don’t think it would compete well with Pilgrim. Love it or hate it, that IEM is solid.

For a larger DD experience the Hiby Project Ace is a better option and is a noticeable step up in resolution and bass without mods over the iBasso

Projecr ACE! High five. Such a nice dynamic driver they used there. After testing ace, I’m curious about other FAudio IEMs. This manufacturer seem to know how to make DD.

Put some 3M Transpore over the front vent holes for a dynamic bass increase and make this set much more balanced

I imagined the tuning and shell designer rolling whenever we suggest taping the front vents or chocking the back vents 😂

May 14, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #101,482 of 103,518
Not exactly cheap, but I got these mainly for the design. Don't be fooled though, they sound pretty good. TRN azure dragon.
They come with a modular cable and three nozzles (not these though, as I bought the demo from HighEnd).
Planar magnetic.
1000027773.jpg
If TRN put the same kind of tuning special sauce as they did the ST7, then this will be a great listen?

May 14, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #101,483 of 103,518
ST7 looks really interesting. Anyone heard both ST7 and Conch and can compare?
Nope. I almost pulled the trigger on the Conch on Amazon, but then the Merga went on sale for $13 with upgrade cable, so I ordered that instead. Still interested in the Conch though.

May 14, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #101,484 of 103,518
For you jazz heads. Darcy James Argue's Secret Society - Dynamic Maximum Tension

For genres like jazz, the TRN ST7 rates a (4/5). From the overall resolution of the horns to the bass punch to the bite of keys and guitars, as well as the imaging and staging, it's a wonderful aural statement of how good these cheap IEMs sound and how far this hobby has come in just a few short years.

I'd rate them (3.5/5) for reggae and R&B, as well as classic rock
I'd rate them a (3/5) for metal in all it's various sub genres and hard rock

May 14, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #101,485 of 103,518
For you jazz heads. Darcy James Argue's Secret Society - Dynamic Maximum Tension

For genres like jazz, the TRN ST7 rates a (4/5). From the overall resolution of the horns to the bass punch to the bite of keys and guitars, as well as the imaging and staging, it's a wonderful aural statement of how good these cheap IEMs sound and how far this hobby has come in just a few short years.

I'd rate them (3.5/5) for reggae and R&B, as well as classic rock
I'd rate them a (3/5) for metal in all it's various sub genres and hard rock

Darcy James Argue is a god. He has one of the best modern big bands and his original music is a whirlwind... It's good to be reminded of him.

May 14, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #101,486 of 103,518
Nope. I almost pulled the trigger on the Conch on Amazon, but then the Merga went on sale for $13 with upgrade cable, so I ordered that instead. Still interested in the Conch though.

I couldn't find any reviews or much of any chatter on the Merga. It was cheap enough that that I decided to pull the trigger and pick one up for myself to see what it's all about. I can stop drinking Starbucks for a few days to recoup.

The other KZ that I am interested in is the KZ x Angelears Libra but I'm not 100% sure if I am ready to spring on that one unless it can somehow beat the pants off the CCA Hydro which I am absolutely drooling over right now with my iFi iDSD Signature.

May 14, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #101,487 of 103,518
I couldn't find any reviews or much of any chatter on the Merga. It was cheap enough that that I decided to pull the trigger and pick one up for myself to see what it's all about. I can stop drinking Starbucks for a few days to recoup.

The other KZ that I am interested in is the KZ x Angelears Libra but I'm not 100% sure if I am ready to spring on that one unless it can somehow beat the pants off the CCA Hydro which I am absolutely drooling over right now with my iFi iDSD Signature.
Just realises that thjs IEM uses 1 DD for bass, 1DD for mid, and 8 same BAs for highs. I though it would be like 2DD+4BA+4BA.

May 14, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #101,488 of 103,518
Just realises that thjs IEM uses 1 DD for bass, 1DD for mid, and 8 same BAs for highs. I though it would be like 2DD+4BA+4BA.

That's what has me VERY curious. Very little info out on that one.

May 14, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #101,489 of 103,518

The IEM i've been eyeing on Amazon is the CCA Polaris, which is a dual DD like the Merga, and I suspect it might be similar to how KZ handled the Trio, releasing it first as the CCA Trio and now as the KZ Vader? It's gotten good reviews, and it's got a coupon that drops it to $20? Intriguing. Yeah, looking forward to my Hydro, but that just left China, so I won't see that until this time next week at the earliest. The KZ ZS10 Pro landed in bottleneck Compton days ago, with no tracking movement since? Merga probably lands around the same time as the Hydro?

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #101,490 of 103,518
The IEM i've been eyeing on Amazon is the CCA Polaris, which is a dual DD like the Merga, and I suspect it might be similar to how KZ handled the Trio, releasing it first as the CCA Trio and now as the KZ Vader? It's gotten good reviews, and it's got a coupon that drops it to $20? Intriguing. Yeah, looking forward to my Hydro, but that just left China, so I won't see that until this time next week at the earliest. The KZ ZS10 Pro landed in bottleneck Compton days ago, with no tracking movement since? Merga probably lands around the same time as the Hydro?
CCA polaris is singe dd iem with dual cavity structure. Someone said it's good for female vocal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back