Strong Shure SE215 replacement cable
May 23, 2023 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

franksisco

New Head-Fier
Hi, this is my first post. I see many threads on this forum asking suggestions for good Shure SE215 replacement cable but I haven't found what I'm looking for. What matters to me is the strength and robustness of the cable in general and, above all, of the part with metal core that bends over the ears that is globally known to break down here:
13040917383632fb.jpg

after a few months.

On my own I found these brands or models:
Linsoul Tripowin Zonie, Linsoul Tripowin Zombur, Null Audio Brevity Pro 5N, Tripowin Noire Linsoul, Tripowin Grace, Tripowin C8, Tripowin Altea, Aiderlot, Campfire Audio Copper Litz Cable, Linsoul HC-08 SE215, ****, Ikko CTU01Amazon, KBEAR 16 Core Pure Copper, Okcsc........ but it's obviously impossible to know if that part is well done or not or even If there is or not a metal core, no one talks about it.

Can anyone point me, from direct experience, to a <50€ replacement cable that does not have this defect?
Thanks

Dec 29, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi there! I've gone through too many MMCX cables to count, and I hope my misadventures help you choose a good one.

You're talking about memory wire, which was one of the things I hated about the stock SE215 cable. Most third-party cables I've come across have molded earhooks instead of memory wire but depending on the material and angle (fixable with a hair dryer), they can be uncomfortable.

I only had a Zonie briefly but thought it was decent enough, similar in construction but better quality than the KBEAR 24 core which fell apart in a few months.

The Zombur felt cheap to me, and I returned it.

I'm looking at the Brevity Pro as well since it has a right-angle plug; I haven't found many complaints about the current version, but the 2018, nylon-covered one was fragile.

I can’t speak to some of the Tripowin cables; I didn't like the Noire's coating which felt almost greasy to me, but I like Tripowin overall and have had the Amber for over a year with no issues.

Campfire Audio cables are thin, flexible and I thought sturdy enough, but I've had two Super Smoky Litzes go bad at the MMCX connector (rotates freely and gradually disconnects). The regular Smoky litz was fine but a bit microphonic/tangly. FWIW they have a new series called the Time Stream which looks promising.

The CTU01 was fine but prone to cable memory.

Some OKCSC cables are rebranded TRN T2 Pro cables (swappable plugs). I liked the cable itself but over time the modular connector came off on its own.

I'd recommend the Kinera Leyding (or Ace, cheaper but same mechanism), the Tripowin Amber, or if you don’t want swappable plugs, any of the ‘regular’ Tripowin cables (Mirage/Zonie/Zoe).

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for this information, it will be useful for the next change. I had already proceeded to buy these Hörluchs Easy Up, and I must say that I am doing very well. I mistakenly thought that I needed to buy the ones with the metal core but I find myself much better with these that don't have it. They hold their shape around the ear because of the thick curved plastic that lines the cable in that area. Nothing special but they work fine for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back