Starting to question everything I thought I believed about DACs
May 10, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #16 of 20
Obviously, all the ones you and I have, as we can't hear a difference 😉

I don't have anything close in quality to the HEK in your signature (unless we're both willing to sprinkle a lot of magic pixie dust on my SASH Tres) but I feel like my current stable of headphones has so much diversity in sound signatures that at least one of them would have picked up an obvious - or even subtle - difference between DACs.

And believe me when I say that I didn't want to come to this conclusion. I even have a review of the SMSL PS100 posted here on HeadFi where I talk all about differences I heard. Thing is, that review wasn't based on immediate and direct A/B testing.

It's only by happy (or maybe thrifty?) coincidence that my DVD-player-slash-CD-transport rig allowed me to do this kind of testing with the simple flip of a switch. I spent a lot of time fighting against what my ears told me. I really wanted to believe that "come on, I'm an audiophile. Of course I hear subtle differences."

Maybe the DAC Pioneer built into the DV-333 is of unusually high quality and sounds uncannily similar to the ES9068? Either way, I treat this episode as a positive: I have a much more chill perspective on whether/where to spend my money on this hobby. For now, I'm just enjoying the music with what I already own (with the exception of maybe swapping out the ATH-MSR7b for something else).

May 10, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #17 of 20
I do enjoy changing DACs and feel they do make a difference in system. Started enjoying headphones a lot once I moved to Metrum Onyx and Schiit Gungnir around 2017. Never looked back.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #18 of 20
I don't have anything close in quality to the HEK in your signature (unless we're both willing to sprinkle a lot of magic pixie dust on my SASH Tres) but I feel like my current stable of headphones has so much diversity in sound signatures that at least one of them would have picked up an obvious - or even subtle - difference between DACs.
I agree, one of your sets should have picked up something.
I've tried with both headphones and IEM's, but the conclusion is the same.

And believe me when I say that I didn't want to come to this conclusion. I even have a review of the SMSL PS100 posted here on HeadFi where I talk all about differences I heard. Thing is, that review wasn't based on immediate and direct A/B testing.
He he, the mind is a funny thing, and I'm sure you actually heard a difference when listening to the PS100, just for other reasons than the actual sound from the DAC being different 🙂

It's only by happy (or maybe thrifty?) coincidence that my DVD-player-slash-CD-transport rig allowed me to do this kind of testing with the simple flip of a switch. I spent a lot of time fighting against what my ears told me. I really wanted to believe that "come on, I'm an audiophile. Of course I hear subtle differences."
Fully agree, it would be a lot more fun for me, if I could hear a difference, as I enjoy audio gear quite a lot.

But once I got the ability to switch instantaneously, and spend time doing a good volume match, any differences I heard previously disappeared. And I wanted to hear a difference! Especially when I tried the Chord Mojo2, as I thought that thing was super nice. While switching, I actually got myself convinced that I could hear a difference, but then I let my wife handle the switch, while I turned away, and it became a complete guesswork.
I think many underestimate the importance of instant switching and getting the volume matched.

Maybe the DAC Pioneer built into the DV-333 is of unusually high quality and sounds uncannily similar to the ES9068? Either way, I treat this episode as a positive: I have a much more chill perspective on whether/where to spend my money on this hobby. For now, I'm just enjoying the music with what I already own (with the exception of maybe swapping out the ATH-MSR7b for something else).
I see it as a positive thing as well 👍
Can buy whatever DAC I want now, based on looks, features and price alone, makes it all a lot easier. I'll keep on testing when I get new gear, and maybe one day I'll find something that I can hear a difference between.

Meanwhile I'll just have to live with reading that my gear is not good enough, my ears are bad, and heck, even my childhood is being questioned now 😁

May 10, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #19 of 20
the mind is a funny thing, and I'm sure you actually heard a difference when listening to the PS100, just for other reasons than the actual sound from the DAC being different

One thing I will stand behind is my ability to hear audio artifacts being generated via Bluetooth SBC.

May 12, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #20 of 20
I did similar way, using input select button that hdvd800 and stax007tA have.
I also use a switch box (all internal part bypass for minimal affect signal)...
Or sometimes I compare listening w/o those support, use short memory by manually change the source.
With some tracks, I even like the audio output from my very old iphone6 more than that from SP1000.
There's no all ways good device for any listening situation to me.
I love 3D of SP1000, I also love flater and sharper AK120ii, musicality of Ru6.
I meant I heard the difference.
(Posting this while listening to hd800s using dyi short 30cm EMI shield balance cable plug in to 4.4 of Ru6 drives by UAPP)

Switch A<->B to match timming to make a track seems like continous playing is not way of easier than offset 3sec (example). It use your instant memory to compair a piece of same sound.

You can try both ways to see if it help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back