Sound Configuration (PS3)
Mar 30, 2012 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Fox-Chicken

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am new and figured this is the place where i could get some help.

I have a PS3 and want to hook it up to a Titanium HD, then to a Fiio E9, followed by some Beyer Dynamic DT990
600 ohm headphones.

I have tried a few configurations which none have worked and won't list so as not to confuse anyone, but i know
you hook a PS3 to a Titanium HD via a optical cable/opt in, but beyond that i have no solution, i have another optical cable
that i can use for the opt out, but i can't hook that up to a Fiio E9, so i am figuring i may need to buy an additional cable or adapter of some sort? Would i have to forget the idea of using the Fiio E9 totally if not so or no?

Any Ideas?

Thx.

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 19
There's going to be a problem if you do this and the PS3 outputs Dolby Digital or DTS over S/PDIF...the Titanium HD won't automatically decode and process it for you. Creative stopped including that feature a long time ago with their X-Fi cards; only the very first set of PCI cards offer it.

Unfortunately, this means that there's no way to decode it, process it with CMSS-3D Headphone, and output the processed audio through two-channel analog to my knowledge.

At the very least, though, you could run in plain stereo if there's a way to set the PS3 to only output PCM over S/PDIF, though I'm still not sure why you insist on using the Titanium HD as the DAC in this case, given the above point.

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 19

Quote:
There's going to be a problem if you do this and the PS3 outputs Dolby Digital or DTS over S/PDIF...the Titanium HD won't automatically decode and process it for you. Creative stopped including that feature a long time ago with their X-Fi cards; only the very first set of PCI cards offer it.

Unfortunately, this means that there's no way to decode it, process it with CMSS-3D Headphone, and output the processed audio through two-channel analog to my knowledge.

At the very least, though, you could run in plain stereo if there's a way to set the PS3 to only output PCM over S/PDIF, though I'm still not sure why you insist on using the Titanium HD as the DAC in this case, given the above point.

Hmm, so i can guess that means it won't improve the sound quality in any way....or can't rather

Currently i have my headphones hooked up to the jack my monitor has with the hdmi selected for sound output on the PS3.

I was looking for a possibility of a sound improvement.

But that is out the window now.

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 19
It's not the E9 that's the issue it's the Sound Blaster. You can use an optical cable from the PS3, then get this along with a S/PDIF RCA cable to go into the Sound Blaster, then to the E9
So it would be something like

PS3 > Optical cable > Toslink to S/PDIF converter > S/PDIF cable into the Sound Blaster > E9

Otherwise just use the included A/V Multi out then go to Sound Settings > Audio Input Connecter / SCART / AV MULTI > and hit X. And simply plug the red and white RCA into the E9.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
Should've bought a Mixamp.
biggrin.gif

Because an inferior product like the Mixamp produces better sound /rolleyes

Now, if it was for ease of use due to the market it's targeted to, then I could understand.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #8 of 19

Quote:

Now, if it was for ease of use due to the market it's targeted to, then I could understand.

I bought the official Sony Wireless Stereo Headset strictly for the ease of use and integration with the system. The 7.1 is interesting. It does help pinpoint sounds but only to an extent, really, it just gives it a more '3D' sound. Plus, it's not like I'm listening critically when playing video games. It's funny that all the reviews said they lacked bass when using 7.1, but they definitely do not
confused_face.gif

It's nice though because it surprisingly doesn't bleed into the mids as much as my XB700s did when I tried them, and it gives things like gun shots and explosions impact. This is something that I feel the AD700 lacks.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
I bought the official Sony Wireless Stereo Headset strictly for the ease of use and integration with the system. The 7.1 is interesting. It does help pinpoint sounds but only to an extent, really, it just gives it a more '3D' sound. Plus, it's not like I'm listening critically when playing video games. It's funny that all the reviews said they lacked bass when using 7.1, but they definitely do not
confused_face.gif

It's nice though because it surprisingly doesn't bleed into the mids as much as my XB700s did when I tried them, and it gives things like gun shots and explosions impact. This is something that I feel the AD700 lacks.

The XB700 and the AD700 are a bit on opposite ends, to an extent. Multi-driver headphones/headsets still have issues with channel separation and proper center channel emulation, but I'm curious about future advancements on that area, even if such products are of use to gaming and movies.

The whole 3D sound mapping is tightly related to how the audio engine handled positional cues, and it's more and more a downward spiral
frown.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
The XB700 and the AD700 are a bit on opposite ends, to an extent. Multi-driver headphones/headsets still have issues with channel separation and proper center channel emulation, but I'm curious about future advancements on that area, even if such products are of use to gaming and movies.

The whole 3D sound mapping is tightly related to how the audio engine handled positional cues, and it's more and more a downward spiral
frown.gif

Yes, of course. I was more so comparing my XB700s to the Headset. My headset is also not multi-driver. it's all DSP. Which I think works by delaying the time certain sounds in a channel reach either the left or right driver and panning left and right. I do think it works well for gaming, but not much else.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Yes, of course. I was more so comparing my XB700s to the Headset. My headset is also not multi-driver. it's all DSP. Which I think works by delaying the time certain sounds in a channel reach either the left or right driver and panning left and right. I do think it works well for gaming, but not much else.

Ah, I see. Well, there are a few headsets that come with DSPs, with varying degrees of success. Although, multi-driver headsets do have the potential to be quite good, yet virtually all existing implementations severely lack in both sound quality and accuracy, which puzzles me to no end.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
Ah, I see. Well, there are a few headsets that come with DSPs, with varying degrees of success. Although, multi-driver headsets do have the potential to be quite good, yet virtually all existing implementations severely lack in both sound quality and accuracy, which puzzles me to no end.

The DSP is actually in the firmware of the PS3 itself, which means it could be improved with update releases. This is one of the reasons I chose it. That and the fact that a USB dongle plus the headset is a very hassle-free setup.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
The DSP is actually in the firmware of the PS3 itself, which means it could be improved with update releases. This is one of the reasons I chose it. That and the fact that a USB dongle plus the headset is a very hassle-free setup.

I still have no faith in wireless audio, there are too many variables that still have to be taken care of in order to provide crystal clear audio.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #14 of 19

Relax there, Billy. OP was attempting on using a soundcard with an exterior device (i.e. PS3). AFAIK, most soundcards don't work to their fullest extent that way, as Nameless quite clearly pointed out.

The Mixamp, and other EXTERNAL devices are made specifically for such things.

Perhaps I should pull a Scumbag Steve and recommend the Beyer Headzone as the solution for OP. :rolleyes:

Hey Roller, whenever you have another solution BETTER than the Mixamp that retains virtual surround processing as OP obviously wanted by using his soundcard with the PS3, please go ahead and tell us.

Outside of getting a receiver with Dolby headphone/Silent Cinema/etc (and they get quite pricey and without chat functions), there isn't anything that competes with the Mixamp anywhere near the price range. The AX720 is noisier, the DSS lacks versatility, and the rest... well, not even worth mentioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back