Souls-like/Souls-borne thread
Apr 19, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #77 of 85
I heard people saying that the Armored Core 6 is also a Souls-like game (sort of maybe?), is it true and has anyone tried it yet?

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #78 of 85
I heard people saying that the Armored Core 6 is also a Souls-like game (sort of maybe?), is it true and has anyone tried it yet?
It's not, but it's a damn good Armored Core game that was worked on by the creator of Dark Souls, so it's got to be an above avg game. I enjoyed AC while I was playing, but it doesn't have much replayability for me personally. It's what you expect of a mech based game. You go on missions, etc.., but also better than typical since Miyazaki worked on it, so it has some interesting characters toward the end.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #79 of 85
It's not, but it's a damn good Armored Core game that was worked on by the creator of Dark Souls, so it's got to be an above avg game. I enjoyed AC while I was playing, but it doesn't have much replayability for me personally. It's what you expect of a mech based game. You go on missions, etc.., but also better than typical since Miyazaki worked on it, so it has some interesting characters toward the end.
Cool, I should give it a shot!

Jun 3, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #81 of 85
For some reason, I'm starting to think that Monster Hunter is also a Souls-like game
MonsterHunterWorld2024.05.30-19.09.40.011-ezgif.com-optimize.gif

Jun 3, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #82 of 85
For some reason, I'm starting to think that Monster Hunter is also a Souls-like game
Technically, no, but people make comparisons and some state they are similar due to way combat works.

Technically, no because souls-likes have dungeons or maze like levels you progress through to find loot and kill enemies for souls currency, and when you die, drops the soul with all the currency embedded in it that you have to retrieve or lose permanently. Monster Hunter is all about mission specific hunts of specific monsters within a time limit. Souls-likes are most similar to metroidvanias, and as if it's a 3D version of it with certain added mechanics, and RPG.

Also, monster hunter games have much greater degree of variations with the types of weapons that are used. It takes a bit more to master weapons in MH games since they all are so different. Souls games have much simpler combat mechanics. Also, the MH have much more complex skills systems with hundreds of decorations and loot drop is RNG based which takes a lot of grinding.

MH has much more focus on individual weapons to the point that players identify with what weapon they use. Like longsword weebs or greatsword dudes that miss a lot. lol. They are so different so people main an individual weapon and it makes their identity as a hunter. In Souls, you can switch weapons and easily figure out how to use it quickly. In MH, there's a lot of combos you have to learn to master each weapon. And it takes a lot of experience to master the weapons since you have to figure out how to use them at the right times to optimize you DPS. You can see how optimal speed runner utilize their weapons. The better skilled you are, more optimal you play, doing higher dps, and cut down the hunt times.

Look how much simpler the attacks are required to fight Madir in DS3. You only have to worry about pressing attack and dodge. MH hunts are a lot more complex than that. During MH huntes, you are also thinking about button combos to do more dps, and some weapons have meters ( and weapon sharpness) you have to think about, etc.

I would say similarities are that they are both action RPG and objective is to kill a creature in order to progress the game. Also that the combat is in 3D and there are dodging and attacking involved. However, MH games have less iframes than Souls games so you have to dodge away from the MH, whereas in Souls, they encourage dodging toward the enemies.

People that plays Souls would likely get into Monster Hunter games due to enjoyment of 3D based action RPG elements, and the hard challenges. MH games has higher skills ceiling due to the very hard monsters that is at the very end of the game. It's takes a lot more skill to kill Alatreon and Fatalis in World. Your GIF shows how hard Fatalis is. It will one shot you. lol Depends on the build, and people always ask more experienced players to look over their build since you really have to optimize your build to stand a chance.

IMO, MH games is the probably the most complex ARPG, and maybe one of the most complex RPG. There is so much mechanics to it. Before every hunt, you have to prepare your build and equipment/items. There a lot of stuff in the game. Many items/decos you have to figure out how to use. Also, the the armor is a lot more complex since they come with skills. Weapons have sharpness, and also skills. There are motion values, modifier values, etc.. There a bit of math to doing optimal damages. The game is a bout Optimization. I find it really crazy that somebody would develop such complex system.

IMO, the highest highs you can get from beating a boss is MH with the end-game monsters. It's going to feel with much greater intensity than any bosses anybody has beaten. This is why MH is addicting to a lot of people.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #83 of 85
Technically, no, but people make comparisons and some state they are similar due to way combat works.

Technically, no because souls-likes have dungeons or maze like levels you progress through to find loot and kill enemies for souls currency, and when you die, drops the soul with all the currency embedded in it that you have to retrieve or lose permanently. Monster Hunter is all about mission specific hunts of specific monsters within a time limit. Souls-likes are most similar to metroidvanias, and as if it's a 3D version of it with certain added mechanics, and RPG.

Also, monster hunter games have much greater degree of variations with the types of weapons that are used. It takes a bit more to master weapons in MH games since they all are so different. Souls games have much simpler combat mechanics. Also, the MH have much more complex skills systems with hundreds of decorations and loot drop is RNG based which takes a lot of grinding.

MH has much more focus on individual weapons to the point that players identify with what weapon they use. Like longsword weebs or greatsword dudes that miss a lot. lol. They are so different so people main an individual weapon and it makes their identity as a hunter. In Souls, you can switch weapons and easily figure out how to use it quickly. In MH, there's a lot of combos you have to learn to master each weapon. And it takes a lot of experience to master the weapons since you have to figure out how to use them at the right times to optimize you DPS. You can see how optimal speed runner utilize their weapons. The better skilled you are, more optimal you play, doing higher dps, and cut down the hunt times.

Look how much simpler the attacks are required to fight Madir in DS3. You only have to worry about pressing attack and dodge. MH hunts are a lot more complex than that. During MH huntes, you are also thinking about button combos to do more dps, and some weapons have meters ( and weapon sharpness) you have to think about, etc.

I would say similarities are that they are both action RPG and objective is to kill a creature in order to progress the game. Also that the combat is in 3D and there are dodging and attacking involved. However, MH games have less iframes than Souls games so you have to dodge away from the MH, whereas in Souls, they encourage dodging toward the enemies.

People that plays Souls would likely get into Monster Hunter games due to enjoyment of 3D based action RPG elements, and the hard challenges. MH games has higher skills ceiling due to the very hard monsters that is at the very end of the game. It's takes a lot more skill to kill Alatreon and Fatalis in World. Your GIF shows how hard Fatalis is. It will one shot you. lol Depends on the build, and people always ask more experienced players to look over their build since you really have to optimize your build to stand a chance.

IMO, MH games is the probably the most complex ARPG, and maybe one of the most complex RPG. There is so much mechanics to it. Before every hunt, you have to prepare your build and equipment/items. There a lot of stuff in the game. Many items/decos you have to figure out how to use. Also, the the armor is a lot more complex since they come with skills. Weapons have sharpness, and also skills. There are motion values, modifier values, etc.. There a bit of math to doing optimal damages. The game is a bout Optimization. I find it really crazy that somebody would develop such complex system.

IMO, the highest highs you can get from beating a boss is MH with the end-game monsters. It's going to feel with much greater intensity than any bosses anybody has beaten. This is why MH is addicting to a lot of people.

WOW, that is a nuanced explanation! I wasn't expect this tbh, I was joking about the difficulty of Fatalis feels more like playing Soul games rather than Monster Hunter, with extremely high punishment, I get killed in one hit haha
Thanks for the detailed explanation! I can see that you're really a big fan of Monster Hunter and Souls-like games!

Previously, when fighting Alatreon, the difficulty also spiked a lot, but once I understood the mechanics, I was able to get through with a lot of practice. But! The experience with Fatalis feels like fighting Kos in Bloodborne :sob:
I think I might need to switch my charm from offensive ones to ones that provide better survivability?

Jun 7, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #85 of 85
Jesus. After Sekiro, Chinese devs making some really crazy combat that may compete with Sekiro or even better. This looks to be the next level Ninja Gaiden, Nioh. Combat looks so amazing!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back