SJY Audio Starry Night Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 10, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #391 of 435
He said, "It had no texture, incredibly sibilant, very grainy, terrible midrange"

That's unfortunate. May be something to bring up with him. My experience wasn't that with them.

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #392 of 435
He says a lot of NOTHING in his reviews... I really don't like him or his reviews personally
For me personally I can feel and take away the emotion more than the words themselves and that helps me understand how much he may like something, because music is definitely partially an emotional experience.
And thanks for sharing the input from that guy on discord! If some people don't like the Horizons then maybe I'll wait till some more opinions come in.

Mar 10, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #393 of 435
For me personally I can feel and take away the emotion more than the words themselves and that helps me understand how much he may like something, because music is definitely partially an emotional experience.
And thanks for sharing the input from that guy on discord! If some people don't like the Horizons then maybe I'll wait till some more opinions come in.
Definitely try them for yourself. This is just one person. He texted me saying that the majority of people walked away liking it

Mar 10, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #394 of 435
Definitely try them for yourself. This is just one person. He texted me saying that the majority of people walked away liking it
Yea I'll probably try them out. Just wasn't able to make it to CanJam so the only way to try is by buying them 😆. And personally they will be the most expensive headphones I will have bought so far, currently I use T60RP Argons.

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #395 of 435
Good to hear!

Mar 13, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #396 of 435
Hey y'all, got a few questions on my post in the Canjam NY impressions thread about the new Horizons so posting some more detailed impressions here.

I'd never heard of the brand before so when a spot opened up to demo them, I gave them a shot, they looked pretty cool.

The headphones were hooked up to the Chord Hugo, unfortunately didn't get a chance to hook it up to my Mojo 2 but I imagine it would sound similar. This was under show conditions and they are open back so there's definitly a noise factor, pls take the impressions with a grain of salt.

Here are excerpts from my notes:

Build: Very good, the headphones definitely have a more "hand made" feel with either plastic or some 3D printed material, there was also what felt like metal on the yokes. Despite this, they felt very sturdy in my hand. The head band adjustments were nice to interact with and seemed to be made of a synthetic leather like material. The earpads were a nice soft velour texture.

Comfort: The headphones were very comfortable, thanks in part to their light weight, definitely one of the more comfortable phones I tried at the show. The pads were large and a little deep so my ears didn't touch the sides or driver
They comformed to my heard nicely and I got a nice seal. Didn't feel any hot spots or pressure on my head in the 10 mins or so I wore them.

Sound Signature: I would class these as somewhat neutral bright. The bass was fast and punchy, sounded very well extended, the mids were detailed, a little forward which really made vocals pop and the treble was nicely extended as well. I'm typically not a fan of brighter headphones but these were really well tuned, didn't notice any harshness or sibilance so I really enjoyed them. As I listened I was thinking these were about $2000 but then I heard they were like $900. For that price, I don't think I have heard any planar that good. If I had to compare, it kind of sounded a little like the Hifiman Arya stealth but more controlled in the treble, and the build was slightly better despite seemingly being hand made.

My Bf is currently looking to get a pair for himself, I wish I got more time with them but this was toward the end as the show was closing, they definitely stood out though. I also had a chat with Jeffrey after the show, he souded like a nice guy and its nice to see some more independent brands in the hobby.

Hope this helped a bit, if my bf ends up getting them, I can listen to them in a quiet home and post some more impressions :)

1000043517.jpg

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #397 of 435
Hey y'all, got a few questions on my post in the Canjam NY impressions thread about the new Horizons so posting some more detailed impressions here.

I'd never heard of the brand before so when a spot opened up to demo them, I gave them a shot, they looked pretty cool.

The headphones were hooked up to the Chord Hugo, unfortunately didn't get a chance to hook it up to my Mojo 2 but I imagine it would sound similar. This was under show conditions and they are open back so there's definitly a noise factor, pls take the impressions with a grain of salt.

Here are excerpts from my notes:

Build: Very good, the headphones definitely have a more "hand made" feel with either plastic or some 3D printed material, there was also what felt like metal on the yokes. Despite this, they felt very sturdy in my hand. The head band adjustments were nice to interact with and seemed to be made of a synthetic leather like material. The earpads were a nice soft velour texture.

Comfort: The headphones were very comfortable, thanks in part to their light weight, definitely one of the more comfortable phones I tried at the show. The pads were large and a little deep so my ears didn't touch the sides or driver
They comformed to my heard nicely and I got a nice seal. Didn't feel any hot spots or pressure on my head in the 10 mins or so I wore them.

Sound Signature: I would class these as somewhat neutral bright. The bass was fast and punchy, sounded very well extended, the mids were detailed, a little forward which really made vocals pop and the treble was nicely extended as well. I'm typically not a fan of brighter headphones but these were really well tuned, didn't notice any harshness or sibilance so I really enjoyed them. As I listened I was thinking these were about $2000 but then I heard they were like $900. For that price, I don't think I have heard any planar that good. If I had to compare, it kind of sounded a little like the Hifiman Arya stealth but more controlled in the treble, and the build was slightly better despite seemingly being hand made.

My Bf is currently looking to get a pair for himself, I wish I got more time with them but this was toward the end as the show was closing, they definitely stood out though. I also had a chat with Jeffrey after the show, he souded like a nice guy and its nice to see some more independent brands in the hobby.

Hope this helped a bit, if my bf ends up getting them, I can listen to them in a quiet home and post some more impressions :)

1000043517.jpg
Thanks for that!! I’m very interested in the new horizons too so if bf does get, will be looking forward to an in depth review!! Cheers!

Mar 15, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #398 of 435
So, he stood by the booth the entire show and surveyed every single person who tried the Horizon? Sounds legit!

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #400 of 435
How forward is the upper midrange on the Starry Night compared to a typical diffused field tuned headphone like the HD600 or the Audeze Sine? Is it that shouty in comparison?
My personal experience is that it's much less shouty than the hd600 but it really depends on your anatomy and pinna related function so it's hard to speak to specifically how it will sound to you. Some people have said they are very mid forward/ shouty while I don't hear it. They are slightly mid forward yes but not shouty at all to me.

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #401 of 435
My personal experience is that it's much less shouty than the hd600 but it really depends on your anatomy and pinna related function so it's hard to speak to specifically how it will sound to you. Some people have said they are very mid forward/ shouty while I don't hear it. They are slightly mid forward yes but not shouty at all to me.
Are the starry nights still available?

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #402 of 435
Mar 18, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #403 of 435
They are, they're still on the website. Same with the Moonlights.
Oh ok. Thanks. I almost got a pair a year or so ago and then I wanted a moonlight. Never got either but I will definitely be getting a SJY headphone this year of some description!!

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #404 of 435
Oh ok. Thanks. I almost got a pair a year or so ago and then I wanted a moonlight. Never got either but I will definitely be getting a SJY headphone this year of some description!!

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I'm actually going to list my Umi sometime, not because I'm unhappy with it but because I'd use that to fund the Horizon.

Mar 18, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #405 of 435
Interesting, that must be very acceptable for my tastes then. It's very tempting at the current listed price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back