Shanling H5 - Portable DAC/AMP/Player, AKM AK4493S DACs and sweet warm tuning
Jan 24, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #241 of 320
Well, my attempt failed, after purchasing the UAPP app along with MQA playback on all MAQ tracks, I suffered continuous microcuts, so I had to uninstall it and request a refund for the two apps, they responded to me within a second from support of the app.

:frowning2:
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it before getting a refund? The first installation may have gone wrong... anyway why are you talking about two apps? UAPP is just one app and it has everything you need... what would the other one be?

Jan 25, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #242 of 320
Hello, I didn't try it, I gave up quickly.
I am referring to the plugin for decoding MQA files that is separate (4,49€), otherwise you cannot play the MQA (now Max Flac or whatever Tidal wants to call it). :frowning2:

Jan 27, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #243 of 320
Hi @Shanling,

I've got some suggestions and comments regarding Eddict Player functionality using Shanling H5.

1. Why isn't it trying to reconnect via SyncLink each time the app is opened anew? I know it may not be ideal for everyone, but it should at least be added as an option, as I bet there are many people that use it solely for controlling the SD Card playback, just like myself.
  2. Can we have a shortcut in playback view that would allow us to "go back" to the folder from where the track is played? Each time you open the app, reconnect to the device, you can see recently played track at the bottom widget. It's great and all, but you still need to go all the way through Local music -> Folder -> Micro SD Card -> folder 1 -> folder 2 and so on to go back to where you were before you reconnected. Why not just add "view in the folder" somewhere close to the like, add to playlist and setting buttons? Is it somehow hard to do?
  3. Android playback widget doesn't show currently played track, but default "Your music daily" blah blah blah. When you click it, it goes to Eddict, but disconnects from device. Could you please look into it?
Please let me know if any of these are viable and possible to implement. I really like the whole vast functionality package you offer with the H5, but there are these small things that make the experience just short of ideal for me...

IMG20240126141244.jpg

Overall it's a great device if anyone's wondering. Even runs Sennheiser HD650 no problem through it's balanced output (kinda lacking in some scenarios on SE). No issues regarding output impedance on my end, and I tested it with Moondrop Chu, Moondrop Blessing 2s and Shanling MG600. Just wish I could have an option to easily order battery replacements on Aliexpress, even if just for ease of mind. Maybe that's something to consider, @Shanling?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #244 of 320
  1. Why isn't it trying to reconnect via SyncLink each time the app is opened anew? I know it may not be ideal for everyone, but it should at least be added as an option, as I bet there are many people that use it solely for controlling the SD Card playback, just like myself.
  2. Can we have a shortcut in playback view that would allow us to "go back" to the folder from where the track is played? Each time you open the app, reconnect to the device, you can see recently played track at the bottom widget. It's great and all, but you still need to go all the way through Local music -> Folder -> Micro SD Card -> folder 1 -> folder 2 and so on to go back to where you were before you reconnected. Why not just add "view in the folder" somewhere close to the like, add to playlist and setting buttons? Is it somehow hard to do?
  3. Android playback widget doesn't show currently played track, but default "Your music daily" blah blah blah. When you click it, it goes to Eddict, but disconnects from device. Could you please look into it?
Please let me know if any of these are viable and possible to implement. I really like the whole vast functionality package you offer with the H5, but there are these small things that make the experience just short of ideal for me...

Overall it's a great device if anyone's wondering. Even runs Sennheiser HD650 no problem through it's balanced output (kinda lacking in some scenarios on SE). No issues regarding output impedance on my end, and I tested it with Moondrop Chu, Moondrop Blessing 2s and Shanling MG600. Just wish I could have an option to easily order battery replacements on Aliexpress, even if just for ease of mind. Maybe that's something to consider, @Shanling?

To all these three questions, in essence, it should be possible and nice to have, but not something our software team was able to implement so far.

We sell batteries directly over Email, but the shipping is very expensive, as batteries need to be shipped in special parcels internationally.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 31, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #245 of 320
I've been running my focal radiance, clear and HD6XX from the shanling H5 and it drives them beautifully at medium gain, zero issues, I'm frankly really impressed with the SQ and capability of this DAC/AMP to drive full size headphones, specially high impedance cans like the SENN HD600s series, congratz shanling, truly impressive product specially for the price.

Feb 5, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #246 of 320
H5 Poster.jpg

At Shanling, we continue to expand our new line of advanced portable DAC/AMPs. Following the release of the high-end H7 model, today we are announcing a lower-positioned H5 model.

Bit more compact and lighter for easier carry, but packed with the same great features. The audio circuit of H5 was inspired by our favourite M6 Ultra and it will provide you with the nicely warm and smooth sound.

H5 is now shipping to Shanling distributors
MSRP 369 USD

resize_01-1(1).jpg

- Rounded Design for comfortable carry

- Based on Ingenic X1000 platform, with 0.87-inch screen for device control

- Integrated MicroSD card slot and local music player (With remote control by Eddict Player app)

- Pair of AKM AK4493S DACs, with similar warm tunning to our M6 Ultra

- 3.5mm, 4.4mm and RCA output

- USB, Coaxial, Optical, Bluetooth input

- Xmos XU316 USB chip

- Amplifier design based around TPA6120 and LTA8092

- Higher output impedance (4.7 Ohm for 3.5mm // 6.6 Ohm for 4.4mm)

- Lower power than H7, at 840mW @ 32Ohm

- Lithium battery 3500MAH/3.8V

- Battery life up to 12.5 hours, depending on exact usage

resize_06(1).jpg
Specification

Dimensions:102 x 85 x 25 mm
Weight: 270.4 g
Screen:0.87-inch Screen
Audio formats: DSD(".iso",".dsf",".dff") / ISO / DXD / APE / FLAC / WAV / AIFF / AlF / DTS / MP3 / WMA / AAC / OGG / ALAC / MP2 / M4A / AC3 / M3U / M3U8/ OPUS
USB Input Hi-Res Support:32 bit / 768 kHz, DSD 512
MicroSD Hi-Res Support:32 bit / 384 kHz, DSD 256
Gain Setting: Three Level Setting
Storage: MicroSD Card Slot, up to 2TB
DAC:2x AKM AK4493SEQ
Digital Filters:6 Preset Filters
Bluetooth 5.0 Receiver
Bluetooth Codec Support: LDAC / AAC / SBC

Outputs:
Single-Ended Output:
Output Power: 2.7V@32Ω(227mW@32Ω)
Frequency Response:20 Hz - 40 kHz (-0.7 dB)
THD+N:0.0014%
Channel separation:80 dB @ 32 Ohm
Dynamic Range:118 dB
Signal-To-Noise:118 dB
Output Impedance:4.7 Ohm

Balanced Output:
Output Power: 5.19V@32Ω(840mW@32Ω)
Frequency Response:20 Hz - 40 kHz (-0.7 dB)
THD+N:0.0004%
Channel separation:105 dB @ 32 Ohm
Dynamic Range:121 dB
Signal-To-Noise:121 dB
Output Impedance:6.6 Ohm

resize_01.1073(1).jpg
So, can this be used as a dap with a Micro SD card? That would be the perfect set up for me. Thank you.

Feb 5, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #247 of 320
So, can this be used as a dap with a Micro SD card? That would be the perfect set up for me. Thank you.
It almost can, for some people at least. Be aware that it's impossible to browse through folders on just the H5 though, you can only navigate forwards and backwards. Even song titles aren't displayed, but it's fine. In my use case, I select a folder in the Eddict app on my phone, then use H5's controls to skip songs etc., and if I want to listen to something else, I select another folder through the app. You can't completely leave the phone out of equation IMO like you would want to do with a DAP, as it will just cycle through all the music from the SD Card, top to bottom.

For me H5 is even better than a DAP, as you can also use it as bluetooth adapter with your phone to watch tv series etc. It's more universal in that regard. Soooo... A DAP? Not really. It is its own thing, with its own advantages but also shortcomings, and you need to keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #248 of 320
It almost can, for some people at least. Be aware that it's impossible to browse through folders on just the H5 though, you can only navigate forwards and backwards. Even song titles aren't displayed, but it's fine. In my use case, I select a folder in the Eddict app on my phone, then use H5's controls to skip songs etc., and if I want to listen to something else, I select another folder through the app. You can't completely leave the phone out of equation IMO like you would want to do with a DAP, as it will just cycle through all the music from the SD Card, top to bottom.

For me H5 is even better than a DAP, as you can also use it as bluetooth adapter with your phone to watch tv series etc. It's more universal in that regard. Soooo... A DAP? Not really. It is its own thing, with its own advantages but also shortcomings, and you need to keep that in mind.
Thank you for your information. That makes my decision a little more easier.

Feb 5, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #249 of 320
It surely isn't fake, maybe overrated, and it depends on the cell quality. My iFi Nano iDSD battery bulged in less than 2 years of constant use, but it was an older generation battery obviously. Maybe the newer ones are better. Is there an official spec sheet from Shanling for the battery used in this device?
Yes, there are multiple devices with the buldge battery problem. Even the chord mojo gave me this problem many years ago. I also often read others having the same problem and usually ending up with the back cover of their devices popped open due to the pressure of the inflated battery.

It surly happens when this badly designed (and we'll know) power management system keeps the battery live and charging constantly when the device is plugged and under use at the same time.

So I have to agree as well with those who also think this is not really a fake problem. This is a well known problem I first dealt with 5 years ago and considering the price of these devices they should have implemented desktop mode in all devices in this hobby as a norm

Feb 5, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #250 of 320
My M6 Pro 21 - eventually developed the same problem from using while charging. As I got into the 2+ year mark of fairly regular use, the battery life started suffering so I started using the DAP while on the charger. Eventually, it (the battery) bulged. Fortunately batteries are abailable through Shanling (sold via Linsol). I found one easly On AliEx and have a like new DAP in my hand....

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #254 of 320
Hello
Is possible use h5 in bluetooth make voice calling and answer to calls?

Is possible charge and use it simultaneously without worry for battery?

Thanks
I would avoid charging it while listening to it... charge it not necessarily up to 100% and enjoy the 6/7 hours of music and then recharge it (each hour of charging will give you many hours of listening). The important thing is that the battery is not too charged or too discharged. It's the best way to preserve it. :wink:

P.S. This is what I always do with the H7 and all the other daps I own. When I don't use them for a long time I leave them with 50% battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back