Sennheiser HE-60 ''The Legendary Baby"
Nov 3, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #121 of 149
Which is why I already said it’s not worth the price difference. Only that it’s better.

The price difference is largely due to production numbers. Only 300 90’s created in the first run and, what 15-25?, created in the second run.

I’ve never seen a 60 south of 2k in recent memory.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #122 of 149
My 60 was way less than 2K due to the 5 minute imbalance (and it didn't include the crappy stock amp) but frankly I think it was well worth it, considering I never plug in my headphones and listen straight away, even with my stax. All stats i've tried sound better after an hour or so of charge, so i'm definitely okay with those first 5 minutes.

Anyway, I need to try a 90 one day. Just to convince myself I don't need it. If a headphone is more expensive than my car, maybe it means it's time to stop, heh.

Nov 5, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #123 of 149
... Anyway, I need to try a 90 one day. Just to convince myself I don't need it. ...
This is exactly the reverse of how it works, so if that's what you think will happen, then you're gonna be surprised just as the dad who thinks there'll be no children when you shut the bedroom lights during couple fun times :smile:

Nov 21, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #124 of 149
Have you compared the LNS to the 1987 Lambda Signature? The latter one, with the 1 micron driver, is the one I own. I read somewhere that the LNS is inferior so I'm curious as to why you have both (and if I need one ) :stuck_out_tongue:
Sorry. I seem to have missed this post. :deadhorse:

The LNS is more organic yet still retains nice details and layering. Well I think whoever said the LNS is inferior perhaps puts more stock in greater transparency and dynamism. Sometimes we think more organic signatures are not so organic because it may not it is not so apparent. :)

YMMV. But for myself…? Well, I have two pairs of LNS (well, one pair has slightly degraded ear pads but was too cheap to pass up on); I content myself with one pair of Lambda Signature. The same way I have two pairs of Lambda NB. :wink:

Nov 22, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #125 of 149
The thing is, considering the 90 is around 15k used and the 60 is between 1 and 2k, i'd really really hope the 90 is way better. Again I'm aware of diminishing returns, but that's a really massive difference in price.

Prices for vintage headphones aren't really rooted in reality, so there's that. But the HE90 is much better. And that's coming from someone with a historical, extreme affinity for the HE60, which I have owned 3 times lol. A few years ago I was keeping a backup just in case until I realized it just wasn't necessary.

The HE60's airiness, detail and clarity are its strengths, but at the costs of a few other glaring weaknesses. The HE90 has better, more balanced tonality (top 2 of all headphones I've ever heard), adequate bass response, with improved timbre and overall refinement. It has one of the most balanced and overall complete sounds I've ever heard. That said, the HE60 is still very enjoyable with specific types of music. And the HE90's price is just outrageous and more reflective of rarity rather than absolute performance.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #126 of 149
Prices for vintage headphones aren't really rooted in reality, so there's that. But the HE90 is much better. And that's coming from someone with a historical, extreme affinity for the HE60, which I have owned 3 times lol. A few years ago I was keeping a backup just in case until I realized it just wasn't necessary.

The HE60's airiness, detail and clarity are its strengths, but at the costs of a few other glaring weaknesses. The HE90 has better, more balanced tonality (top 2 of all headphones I've ever heard), adequate bass response, with improved timbre and overall refinement. It has one of the most balanced and overall complete sounds I've ever heard. That said, the HE60 is still very enjoyable with specific types of music. And the HE90's price is just outrageous and more reflective of rarity rather than absolute performance.
What are the types of music that the HE60 excels in, would you say? Thanks!

Nov 22, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #127 of 149
What are the types of music that the HE60 excels in, would you say? Thanks!

Particularly, I really love them with anything that's female vocal heavy (vocals are amazing on them), acoustic guitar and piano, and anything you may love that isn't really bass heavy, as they're pretty light in the low region. With complex classical compositions there is a lack of holographic, 3d spacing and imaging that you see in a lot of newer stats and ribbons which you may miss, but still, pretty enjoyable there as well.

Where they really excel is in having a forward presentation, extremely quick sound and with extreme clarity, without sounding harsh. I have always thought of them as the HD600 on steroids; that's what they sound like to me. The only drawbacks now are bass and having a bit more of a "wall of music" type of presentation that doesn't have a ton of spacing. Still very much worth owning if you get them at a decent price.

It looks like you have them (plus a ton of other stats)? What do you still use them for these days?

Nov 22, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #128 of 149
Particularly, I really love them with anything that's female vocal heavy (vocals are amazing on them), acoustic guitar and piano, and anything you may love that isn't really bass heavy, as they're pretty light in the low region. With complex classical compositions there is a lack of holographic, 3d spacing and imaging that you see in a lot of newer stats and ribbons which you may miss, but still, pretty enjoyable there as well.

Where they really excel is in having a forward presentation, extremely quick sound and with extreme clarity, without sounding harsh. I have always thought of them as the HD600 on steroids; that's what they sound like to me. The only drawbacks now are bass and having a bit more of a "wall of music" type of presentation that doesn't have a ton of spacing. Still very much worth owning if you get them at a decent price.

It looks like you have them (plus a ton of other stats)? What do you still use them for these days?
Thanks! I just thought it’d be great to hear your perspective. :) Thanks for that. Always good to have a sanity check.

I agree. Vocals, jazz vocals, acoustics, mandopop/cantopop and ACG ( especially what is currently coming out of Mainland China) are frankly my mainstay in terms of music that I listen to. I too have a weakness for female vocals. So, I totally agree on how breathtaking the HE60 can be with them. :)

I am still pretty new to the HE60 and am still exploring and getting to know it. I have listened to it both out of the Carbon and KGST. My current preference is out of the KGST.

I have not tried them with classical music as yet. Though I tend to listen more to chamber music and concertos, especially cellos. I will also try them with the likes of The Tallis Scholars when I am in the mood for that.

Ah… the e-stats, especially the vintage range, is part of the realization that for the music I listen to, they often do very well because of the way they render the human voice. So, I have been spending meaningful time on the Yahoo JP auction site where they are available at such reasonable prices and usually in pretty good condition. Before the older ones start disappearing. :frowning2:

Frankly, I tend not to see that many HE60 around, even less where I would feel confident taking a punt on it. Hence, I was most fortunate that I managed to pick this one up from @spritzer. And it helps that generally we do see eye to eye on what we like about the various Stax earspeakers. :wink:

Nov 22, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #129 of 149
Thanks! I just thought it’d be great to hear your perspective. :) Thanks for that. Always good to have a sanity check.

I agree. Vocals, jazz vocals, acoustics, mandopop/cantopop and ACG ( especially what is currently coming out of Mainland China) are frankly my mainstay in terms of music that I listen to. I too have a weakness for female vocals. So, I totally agree on how breathtaking the HE60 can be with them. :)

I am still pretty new to the HE60 and am still exploring and getting to know it. I have listened to it both out of the Carbon and KGST. My current preference is out of the KGST.

I have not tried them with classical music as yet. Though I tend to listen more to chamber music and concertos, especially cellos. I will also try them with the likes of The Tallis Scholars when I am in the mood for that.

Ah… the e-stats, especially the vintage range, is part of the realization that for the music I listen to, they often do very well because of the way they render the human voice. So, I have been spending meaningful time on the Yahoo JP auction site where they are available at such reasonable prices and usually in pretty good condition. Before the older ones start disappearing. :frowning2:

Frankly, I tend not to see that many HE60 around, even less where I would feel confident taking a punt on it. Hence, I was most fortunate that I managed to pick this one up from @spritzer. And it helps that generally we do see eye to eye on what we like about the various Stax earspeakers. :wink:

Nice, and I appreciate you sharing as well. All really good insight!

And yea, they are a gem for sure. I will never sell them unless I just decide to clean house entirely some day.

Nov 22, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #130 of 149
Nice, and I appreciate you sharing as well. All really good insight!

And yea, they are a gem for sure. I will never sell them unless I just decide to clean house entirely some day.

You are most welcome! Yeah… sometimes with the slightly less accessible headphones it is good to hear about how each of us enjoy them. It also sets the context of our perceptions of the HE60 to know the type of music it is being used for. The audio chain will impact our perception as well.

Haha! I suspect if I ever do the moving thing, my audio stuff will go with me. Especially the e-stats and ribbon HPs. And for the Baby Orpheus? Well, absoutely! And if there be an opportunity, I’d pick u a back up pair too. I do it for some of the Stax, like Lambda NB and the LNS. But it’s just me and contingency planning. :)

Jan 1, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #131 of 149

Interesting because compared to my Stax Lambda Pro and my Lambda Signature, the latter being technically superior to the Lambda Pro and the HE-60, what makes me go for the HE-60 more than the Staxes is the tonality. I think the tonality is their main strength (aside from a really high resolution in the mids specifically) so this makes me wonder if the HE-90 is even better.

I want to listen to a pair now. I'm happy to have a long term goal for something I can't just go to the store and buy for pocket change. Makes things exciting in this hobby :)

Also: This is the kind of music I enjoy best on the HE-60. I use the original vinyl (even though the headphones reveal surface noise) because the mastering is better, but you can give the music a try here:

Jan 2, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #132 of 149
Interesting because compared to my Stax Lambda Pro and my Lambda Signature, the latter being technically superior to the Lambda Pro and the HE-60, what makes me go for the HE-60 more than the Staxes is the tonality. I think the tonality is their main strength (aside from a really high resolution in the mids specifically) so this makes me wonder if the HE-90 is even better.

I want to listen to a pair now. I'm happy to have a long term goal for something I can't just go to the store and buy for pocket change. Makes things exciting in this hobby :)

Also: This is the kind of music I enjoy best on the HE-60. I use the original vinyl (even though the headphones reveal surface noise) because the mastering is better, but you can give the music a try here:

The tonality of the HE60 is definitely a strength of it. For sure. The mids and vocals are to die for. The HE90 is just more balanced across the entire spectrum, but again at an extreme premium. If I were to look for a headphone today similar to what the HE60 accomplished, I think the DCA Expanse would be at the top of my list. Extreme clarity in the midrange, very transparent and smooth. To me, it feels like an advancement of the HE60.

Jan 2, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #133 of 149
The tonality of the HE60 is definitely a strength of it. For sure. The mids and vocals are to die for. The HE90 is just more balanced across the entire spectrum, but again at an extreme premium. If I were to look for a headphone today similar to what the HE60 accomplished, I think the DCA Expanse would be at the top of my list. Extreme clarity in the midrange, very transparent and smooth. To me, it feels like an advancement of the HE60.

Hmm... I tried the DCA Stealth and felt really disappointed. I'm keeping my HE-60 for now, but I'll give a listen to the Expanse whenever I get the chance.

And... yeah. I really want a HE90. Need to listen to it. Just... $15K isn't pocket change unfortunately. The good thing is they will never go down in price, so...

Jan 2, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #134 of 149
Hmm... I tried the DCA Stealth and felt really disappointed. I'm keeping my HE-60 for now, but I'll give a listen to the Expanse whenever I get the chance.

And... yeah. I really want a HE90. Need to listen to it. Just... $15K isn't pocket change unfortunately. The good thing is they will never go down in price, so...

Yea I was disappointed in the Stealth when I tried it recently as well tbh. It was a different experience for me with the Expanse.

What I can say is the HE90 is worth it if you find a good sale. One of the most enjoyable headphones I've heard and it absolutely holds it's own and more compared to what's out there today. It is a lot different than the HE60 though.

Loosely, the HE60 is like a HD600 on steroids and the HE90 is like an HD650 on steroids, both far far better than each of them.

Mar 18, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #135 of 149
Plugged my HE60 after not using it for about 6-8 months and the left channel is popping. It seems to go away after about 30 mins or so but that can't be right. It does not happen to any other headphone except that one so leads me to believe there is an issue with the driver. There doesn't seem to be much support options on the Senn website so I am at a loss now. I'm sure it is dust or something that needs to be cleaned... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back